• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

While the buyer hasn't replied to MCC in the thread, the differences in the two stories make a world of difference in practice

If you inquire about a book (while you are standing there) I do believe the dealer is obligated to hold their price.

Once you walk away there is no obligation. It's the seller's book and they can do with it as they wish. The book can be sold to someone else, the book can be repriced the book can be burned.

It's that way with many markets. The quoted price stays the quote prices unless you turn it down.

If the dealer renegs on the deal after an agreement is made and repriced it, that is an entirely different scenario.

What this scenario should make most apparent is that you NEVER get the whole story by listening to just one side and this entire thread (if there is even some truth to what MCC wrote) makes witch hunt threads (and witch hunt gossip on the con floor) like this a complete waste of time until you at the very least hear both sides of the story.

And it happens far too often.

Perception is everything even if you think you did nothing wrong even after hearing both sides of the story. Some people never get that.

Perception is everything but gossip is more powerful than anything else. It's brought down families, large organizations and kings and queens. It's caused teens to commit suicide in high school. That's why it's actually considered bullying nowadays in school.

What people should be doing is at the very least when there is a conflict of interest is going to the root sources of information. In this particular case, I was willing to talk to Oscar the next time I saw him before making a decision on how I felt about the incident.

If people truly care about what's going on in a given situation they should put in the effort, like you or I did in this thread. It makes all the difference in the world because what people often find is that much of the misinformation can be dispelled when the entire story is out there.

If the two sides disagree on how something went down, that's a different discussion altogether and people can use their better judgement.

And I do agree that perception is everything.

Unless a poster has brought both parties to the thread before he starts it somebody will go first with their "perception" of what happened.

That is how this forum works, I don't agree with how they shoot first and one reason why as a dealer I am on the boards. I agree, gossip can definitely ruin your business, your repuation etc. But if you are not doing anything wrong you really don't have anything to worry about.

Unless a poster has brought both parties to the thread before he starts it somebody will go first with there "perception" of what happened.

That is how this forum works, I don't agree with how they shoot first and one reason why as a dealer I am on the boards. I agree, gossip can definitely ruin your business, your repuation etc. But if you are not doing anything wrong you really don't have anything to worry about.

Agreed.

I still crack up every time Joey posts this:

Ready...fire...aim.

Has Venom posted up a scan of the book he bought from the guy?

Based on the new info it sounds like the VF+ copy was accidently priced at $300 which was intended for a FN copy. Sounds like they brought out a copy which was "way lesser grade" and Venom decided to pay the higher amount for better copy. If that is the case, then the thread should be a discussion of if its ok for a dealer to correct a mistake or they should eat the cost of the mistake.

What's there to discuss. Its pretty simple.

If a customer walks up and pays the asking price at that time the dealer should honour it if it isn't priced right.

Once the customer walks away then the dealer can do whatever he wants with it.

I've done business with Oscar for years. Alex even longer. I'm done with this thread.

Oscar story: one year, I was short on cash, and pulled more than what I had from his stock. Instead of putting the books back, Oscar let me walk away with $100-150 worth of books, and told me to pay him back in three months at the next local show. You can be sure I did, but that was above and beyond, and I haven't forgotten it.

Like with any dealer you don't know, grade the book yourself, and decide on the price you're willing to pay. Either you agree, or you don't. If you don't get the price you want, walk away, and find it somewhere else. If it's a movie hype book that you absolutely have to buy right now... well... the dealer with the book has you by the shorthairs, don't they? Learn how to negotiate, or suck it up.

If you want sketchy Montreal dealers, go deal with Comic Hunter or George, and tell us how much fun you had.

I think Comic Hunter was the booth across from me. That's where I bought GI JOE 1-14 and Tales of GI JOE 1-15. If I break it down it was $2.06 a book. I thought that was very fair if you go look at overstreet let alone those lower numbers are worth a bit more and #1 was at least 9.0 - 9.2 and the rest where all easily 9.0 and above. The tales where in great condition probably 9.2 + each.

(shrug)

Alot of the facts in this thread are very wrong.

I had agreed to pay 300 for the book with one of the booths workers which was not the owner. After I had agreed but before payment I had told him I had books to sell as well if they were interested. (Yes I understand now I should buy books and run instead of having a dealer uphold the agreed upon price) I had taken two NM 98s out of my bag, I knew I would be leaving meat on the bones so to speak but I figured I could now purchase something else I had my eye on. At the time the worker had taken both my books and the FF 45 the owner of the booth had now walked back into the booth. The worker and owner had a few words which ultimately lead to me being asked both of these and 100 bucks. It was my understanding that the booth valued my NM98s at 100 a piece and was asking me to pay 100, I thought what the hell Ill do it. Immediately after that the owner had been looking down at his phone before I could pay, he was looking down for maybe 5 minutes with me standing to checkout. I am then told no can do, the book is not the right price and as I am standing there with my books in their hands I can see the 300 in 300 being filled in to become an eight. Immediately after being extremely upset with this change in price the dealer had told me give him a moment and he then left for the following ten minutes or so. While the owner was gone I had asked the worker multiple times the stores name. Of the 3 times the best response I had was "in the 600s". I had to match the booth up with the map before I had even recogized the company name. Also this same worker attempted to justify the price change to me as the previous grade of 6.5 given by HIM was now magically an 8.5 which was why the price was changed. The dealer then returned with another copy of FF45 this in much much lower condition and told me this much lower condition copy was 300.

The FBI and Apple are looking into this.

Honest.

Yes I heard the CGC cloud has been compromised. Naked photos of Paul and Sean are circulating in the sub forums as we speak. I am frankly stunned at where Paul has placed some tattoo's on his body. Let's just say I won't be able to look at him the same way again the next time I see him

I don't think we'll ever know the complete story of what really happened:

1) If OP's story is correct, Major Comics is in the wrong and deserves a bad rep and lost business.

2) if Major Comic's version of events is true, OP screwed himself out of a deal and should have never started this thread.

There have been other concerns raised about the practices of Major Comics in this thread that give me reason to lean toward OP's version of events.

There have been other concerns raised about the practices of Major Comics in this thread that give me reason to lean toward OP's version of events.

There has also been a mix up between comic dealers from the same city in the accounts of other incidents written in this thread, so while I'm personally not going to go through all the pages in this thread to see who was talking about what, I'd keep that in mind if you want to move forward.

When both parties don't come to an agreement on a trade or sale , whoever owns the book can do as he wishes with the book during or after the show.

He can raise or lower the price or not put the book for sale anymore if he wishes.

In this case,if the buyer had offered full sticker or offered 10% off sticker, he would have left with the book.Instead he made offers and trades we refused.

At this point, I don't feel we had any obligations toward the buyer.

When both parties don't come to an agreement on a trade or sale , whoever owns the book can do as he wishes with the book during or after the show.

He can raise or lower the price or not put the book for sale anymore if he wishes.

In this case,if the buyer had offered full sticker or offered 10% off sticker, he would have left with the book.Instead he made offers and trades we refused.

At this point, I don't feel we had any obligations toward the buyer.

He claims he gave up making a deal, offered you sticker price, you refused and changed the price. So you are saying he never offered to pay the list price?

Venom did you offer him sticker price or walk away?