• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

What I don't understand is this:

If the OP was so annoyed at the seller for jacking up the price of the comic, why did they still continue with the transaction? There are countless copies of that book available on eBay and the internet, and probably also at that show. Why give the guy money to the person who you thought wronged you?

The negotiations were ongoing. The dealer can lower or raise the price during this phase of the operation as he sees fit.

So if I listed a book for sale on here for $300. You shoot me a PM asking if I'll do a cash/trade. I respond back and say, "No. For this book, I don't want to do a trade." You send back a PM and say, "Okay, I'll do the $300." And you're absolutely okay if I responded by saying, "You know what? This book is worth more than that. The price is now $800."

If the OP was so annoyed at the seller for jacking up the price of the comic, why did they still continue with the transaction? There are countless copies of that book available on eBay and the internet, and probably also at that show. Why give the guy money to the person who you thought wronged you?

+1

If he brought the book then to me he and the dealer both got what they were looking for.

The negotiations were ongoing. The dealer can lower or raise the price during this phase of the operation as he sees fit.

So if I listed a book for sale on here for $300. You shoot me a PM asking if I'll do a cash/trade. I respond back and say, "No. For this book, I don't want to do a trade." You send back a PM and say, "Okay, I'll do the $300." And you're absolutely okay if I responded by saying, "You know what? This book is worth more than that. The price is now $800."

If you said let me check the price of what you're offering vs what I'm selling let me get back to you then said you found out the book was worth more than you thought I would chalk that up to my bad luck for opening that can of worms.

Venom did end up buying the book. But here's what I understand happened: the price of the comic was $300. Venom first offered to do a cash/trade. The sellers stepped away to look up the values, came back and rejected the trade. When Venom went to the pay the $300, they told him the price was now $800.

The dealer is trying to say Venom left the booth and came back at a later time to the pay the $300. Venom stated he never left and actually watched them research the price when they came back with a higher asking price.

Incorrect. Venom bought a copy of FF #45 from Major Comics, but not the initial copy that received the $500 price bump.

Major claims the initial copy was a VF+ copy. When Major decided to bump the price on that copy, they offered Venom a 2nd copy that was in FN condition for $300 cash/trade which Venom accepted.

It get's confusing because in his initial posts, Venom left out the detail that there was 2 copies in play, giving the impression that there was only 1 FN copy being negotiated and that Major had decided to grossly over-price a FN copy.

It would have been nice if Venom had included all the pertinent details in the initial post.

As for whether Venom left the booth - that's a he said/she said thing. Major claims he left the booth, Venom insists he didn't.

If you said let me check the price of what you're offering vs what I'm selling let me get back to you then said you found out the book was worth more than you thought I would chalk that up to my bad luck for opening that can of worms.

Fair enough. I think I would be really mad lol

Venom did end up buying the book. But here's what I understand happened: the price of the comic was $300. Venom first offered to do a cash/trade. The sellers stepped away to look up the values, came back and rejected the trade. When Venom went to the pay the $300, they told him the price was now $800.

The dealer is trying to say Venom left the booth and came back at a later time to the pay the $300. Venom stated he never left and actually watched them research the price when they came back with a higher asking price.

Incorrect. Venom bought a copy of FF #45 from Major Comics, but not the initial copy that received the $500 price bump.

Major claims the initial copy was a VF+ copy. When Major decided to bump the price on that copy, they offered Venom a 2nd copy that was in FN condition for $300 cash/trade which Venom accepted.

It get's confusing because in his initial posts, Venom left out the detail that there was 2 copies in play, giving the impression that there was only 1 FN copy being negotiated and that Major had decided to grossly over-price a FN copy.

It would have been nice if Venom had included all the pertinent details in the initial post.

As for whether Venom left the booth - that's a he said/she said thing. Major claims he left the booth, Venom insists he didn't.

Wrong. The seller stated that Venom offered the NM 98 plus $300 in cash, and they agreed. I don't think Venom would offer $300 plus NM 98 for the $300 lower-grade copy. :shrug:

:gossip: I suspect that's why the little detail about there being a 2nd copy that he did purchase was left out of the initial description - because it would immediately raise the above question.

If you're so appalled by a dealer's behavior that you feel you need to start a thread blasting them, why would you go ahead and make a purchase from immediately after the incident in question?

I guess that's the power of movie-hype books.

A deal is never a deal until both parties agree.

I agree with Bob, if he paid the 300$ ( sticker price) instead of lowballing with a trade offer of 200$, he would have ended up with the FF45.

Just for the record, after Venom came back and we told him we do no longer wish to sell him the copy at 300$ we told him we felt it was worth 700$-800$.

He offered 300$ + the New Mutants 98 in VF/NM , which is a 450$-500$ value.

And we agreed just to make things fair for everyone.

:bump:

The fact if an actual agreement existed is moot. Venom offered to pay the sticker price. The sticker which the dealer put on the book, it's different if someone else switched price tags. The dealer had it priced, Venom agreed to buy it for sticker price and the dealer then said no, it's $800 now. That's shady and bad business practice regardless of any "official" agreement. The price was raised over a matter of what, minutes?

If the dealer went home and repriced it for the next day, even that wouldn't be bad in my opinion, disappointing maybe but certainly not something to a warrant this thread.

I still think the seller is a jerk, I will go out of my way to not spend my money there, and I will also attempt to discourage others to purchase from there.

Also just to clarify, in my mind, the second Venom expresses interest in buying the book, I consider that a live offer to which point if the seller had morals and wasn't a complete jerk, he should have honored his sticker price.

I don't think that's what actually happened based on the events I've read here. Am I missing something?

Also didn't Venom ended up buying the book anyways?

Just because he bought the book in the end does not make it all good. I refuse to ever shop with a particular dealer that comes to the local NYC shows. (No, not Metro) I do not remember the name but do remember the face. At a Carbo show a few years ago, I went to pay for a book, and the dealer took it from one of his booth workers hands and said that it was priced incorrectly, marking it up. He had a couple of other things I was interested in but I wanted the book he was marking up for a signing from someone at the show. I bought the book I needed for the signing and did not bother with anything else in the booth. I discussed it with the dealer once I had the book in hand. He said that had he not noticed it until after I had walked away, he would not have run after me, but he could not let the book go at that price. I simply told him that I would NEVER shop with him again.

His ultimate loss. He had some nice Spider-mans and I was in the middle of completing my run and had not yet purchased the AF15. I spent a LOT of money between that incident and now. Not a single penny was spent with him nor ever will be in the future. Some might say, I would have left the book and walked away. I was tempted, but I really wanted that particular book signed and wanted to meet the creator and I did that day and had an interesting conversation with him as well.

I can take being treated rudely, I can take having a heated discussion. I will not take it when someone pulls a stunt like that.

What makes this frustrating to decipher is that not only do both stories not corroborate but it seems that details were left out of at least one account. Possibly both.

I agree that this is now becoming a 'he said / she said' discussion.

I agree with Bob, if he paid the 300$ ( sticker price) instead of lowballing with a trade offer of 200$, he would have ended up with the FF45.

Just for the record, after Venom came back and we told him we do no longer wish to sell him the copy at 300$ we told him we felt it was worth 700$-800$.

My bad.

It was this later statement by Venom that gave me the impression that he had purchased a 2nd, lower-grade copy:

The dealer then returned with another copy of FF45 this in much much lower condition and told me this much lower condition copy was 300.

That was the last sentence in his post, he never clarified which copy he purchased. Major's comments clearly indicate he purchased the 1st copy.

Still, the fact that they were able to complete a deal is an important fact that was left out of the initial post. And it still begs the question: if you feel the seller is being grossly dishonest, why move forward doing business with them only to complain about it later?

And it still begs the question: if you feel the seller is being grossly dishonest, why move forward doing business with them only to complain about it later?

Exactly.

And it's not like this is a one-of-a-kind item. There are literally thousands of copies of this book out there in VF or better. If you couldn't get it there -- from a seller who you think was being a jerk -- why not get it from another seller? Or just wait and buy a copy here?

Or, even better, wait for the hype to die down, and buy it for a lot less.

My bad.

It was this later statement by Venom that gave me the impression that he had purchased a 2nd, lower-grade copy:

The dealer then returned with another copy of FF45 this in much much lower condition and told me this much lower condition copy was 300.

That was the last sentence in his post, he never clarified which copy he purchased. Major's comments clearly indicate he purchased the 1st copy.

Still, the fact that they were able to complete a deal is an important fact that was left out of the initial post. And it still begs the question: if you feel the seller is being grossly dishonest, why move forward doing business with them only to complain about it later?

Yeah, I can see the confusion. I had to double check myself.

And it still begs the question: if you feel the seller is being grossly dishonest, why move forward doing business with them only to complain about it later?

Exactly.

And it's not like this is a one-of-a-kind item. There are literally thousands of copies of this book out there in VF or better. If you couldn't get it there -- from a seller who you think was being a jerk -- why not get it from another seller? Or just wait and buy a copy here?

although sometimes you don't think too much about it, but you start talking about it with someone, and they're appalled and make you realize you should be mad too. And you get mad, the more you think about it. I'm not saying it happened here, but just saying it does happen, and I don't think its too uncommon.

If I go to a restaurant and get bad service, that doesn't preclude me from ordering another side if I'm hungry or a dessert if I'm in the mood. Although it might make me go yelp about them later or discuss my poor service experience with a friend.

I don't think people should get hung up on the 'why did he still buy?' The degree to which the 'buyer' was ok with something doesn't have that much to do with the actual ethics of the situation, especially for a business transaction.

Exactly.

although sometimes you don't think too much about it, but you start talking about it with someone, and they're appalled and make you realize you should be mad too. And you get mad, the more you think about it. I'm not saying it happened here, but just saying it does happen, and I don't think its too uncommon.

If I go to a restaurant and get bad service, that doesn't preclude me from ordering another side if I'm hungry or a dessert if I'm in the mood. Although it might make me go yelp about them later or discuss my poor service experience with a friend.

I don't think people should get hung up on the 'why did he still buy?' The degree to which the 'buyer' was ok with something doesn't have that much to do with the actual ethics of the situation, especially for a business transaction.

But in the situation here, it'd be like you ordered a 16-oz New York Strip and was given an 8-oz sirloin, and had to pay the same amount. I don't think you'd continue to give that restaurant business.

What makes this frustrating to decipher is that not only do both stories not corroborate but it seems that details were left out of at least one account. Possibly both.

I agree that this is now becoming a 'he said / she said' discussion.

THIS.

Both Venom and Montreal have failed to provide a comprehensive and concise timeline of the events - And I doubt we will ever get them to line up anyways.

...And we have boardies choosing sides, debating possible scenarios and circumstances, which helps to further muddy the waters.

I wonder why Venom did not disclose he ended up buying from them if he was so :mad: with them in his initial post and I am also left (shrug) how the re-pricing of the book actually transpired.

I don't think either party is coming out unscathed. Too bad because, if I at least have this part right, a successful transaction did occur between the two of them.

Symbiotic thinks that is fine,no?