• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This should be interesting...and expensive!!!!!!!!

92 posts in this topic

CGC 9.6 DC Super Spectacular #6. It looks real, and it's...

Spectacular!!!!!!!

But unlike those things in the Seinfeld episode, there's only ONE of this...

CGC'd, reputable and well-known dealer. What do you guys think it will go for?

I think it will break $600...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

I emailed the seller, and he's expecting A LOT more than $600. More like 2K.

That's insane and I doubt even the biggest DC buyers will pay that much. Oh well...saves me the effort to worry about it! screwy.gif

I emailed the seller, and he's expecting A LOT more than $600. More like 2K.

That's insane and I doubt even the biggest DC buyers will pay that much. Oh well...saves me the effort to worry about it! screwy.gif

popcorn.gif

The seller is less than happy with my last post, so I apologize for repeating in this thread what he wrote in his email to me. He did not ask me to keep it under my hat, but I guess I shouldn't have passed the info along without running it by him first.

I WAS surprised by the veiled insult which with he concluded his last email to me, but hey, sticks and stones...

My guess of $600 was based on the Superman #252 in 9.6 that sold earlier this year for somewhere in that range. It's a similar book in how many different heroes Adams depicts on the amazing wraparound cover. These covers really are amazing. I'm not sure I've seen the Superman reprinted, but this one was reprinted recently. This is the only 9.6 in the census (actually not even in the census yet), so this is uncharted territory. It could go for $600 or $6000 just depending on who wants it. Look what happened with that Detective 359.

I just got outbid by Joe Serpico, so I don't know what's going to happen now.

confused.gif

Joseph, I personally paid $585 for my CGC 9.4 copy a few years ago. I know that blazingbob sold one for $600 prior to that.

Although the 9.6 is potentially a four figure book, based on the reserve of $2K, I strongly doubt that the reserve will be met.

The other books that have gone high recently (Detective 359, Batman 189, and your Batman) has the lure of being part of a Batman run, which is ultimately more popular than the DC 100 page run. Although the cover is nice, I can't see people paying that high of a price for it.

With Serpico bidding, unless someone else starts bidding him up and a bidding war ensues, I can't really see it going for much more. Also, I can't believe that this will be the only 9.6 to surface so people will be a little bit more reserved on it.

But, the next few days will determine if the reserve has a chance of being met.

Joseph, I personally paid $585 for my CGC 9.4 copy a few years ago. I know that blazingbob sold one for $600 prior to that.

Although the 9.6 is potentially a four figure book, based on the reserve of $2K, I strongly doubt that the reserve will be met.

The other books that have gone high recently (Detective 359, Batman 189, and your Batman) has the lure of being part of a Batman run, which is ultimately more popular than the DC 100 page run. Although the cover is nice, I can't see people paying that high of a price for it.

With Serpico bidding, unless someone else starts bidding him up and a bidding war ensues, I can't really see it going for much more. Also, I can't believe that this will be the only 9.6 to surface so people will be a little bit more reserved on it.

One thing's for sure: The next few days should prove interesting.

BTW, congratulations on getting a 9.4 of this! The best grade I ever got was a 9.2, and my 8.5 was totally superior to it, so I kept the 8.5 and sold the 9.2.

One thing's for sure: The next few days should prove interesting.

BTW, congratulations on getting a 9.4 of this! The best grade I ever got was a 9.2, and my 8.5 was totally superior to it, so I kept the 8.5 and sold the 9.2.

I graded my 3 copies at the time and only got a 8.0 and 2 8.5s. I kinda regretted grading all 3, as I don't have a raw copy of that book now. I'm still looking for a decent VF range copy to buy for my collection! foreheadslap.gif

I graded my 3 copies at the time and only got a 8.0 and 2 8.5s. I kinda regretted grading all 3, as I don't have a raw copy of that book now. I'm still looking for a decent VF range copy to buy for my collection! foreheadslap.gif

Well, if you win this 9.6, you can crack open the slab of your 9.4 and make that your reading copy!

grin.gif

Well, if you win this 9.6, you can crack open the slab of your 9.4 and make that your reading copy!

grin.gif

Nope...won't happen! I'm out of the running for that book!

grin.gif

Nope...won't happen! I'm out of the running for that book!
screwy.gif

Just to be clear, he didn't say the reserve was that high. That was his estimate on how high the bidding will go.

I was thinking the bidding would end up around $1200-$1300, but with Joe now involved, who knows.

Just to be clear, he didn't say the reserve was that high. That was his estimate on how high the bidding will go.

I was thinking the bidding would end up around $1200-$1300, but with Joe now involved, who knows.

Well...the fact that he's around is reason enough for me to not really go for it. It's not really worth that much to me to upgrade 0.2 of a grade.

Regardless, when you're expecting that kind of silly money for a copy you can be rest assured that a large majority of people that are rabid for a nice copy won't even bother...

I say anything over $1200 and the bidders will be dropping like flies...even the hard core...

Jim

Regardless, when you're expecting that kind of silly money for a copy you can be rest assured that a large majority of people that are rabid for a nice copy won't even bother...

I say anything over $1200 and the bidders will be dropping like flies...even the hard core...

Jim

I'm not sure paying a lot for this is silly money. Yes, I know this is all speculation, but that's really all we can do until the auction closes. When you look at the books going for a grand and over, many of them are a dime a dozen: X-Men, Spider-man, Hulk 181, etc. This has still not even climbed to the going rate for a Spidey 300 in 9.8. (The comic is $510 as I'm writing this.) In my opinion -- key words: in my opinion -- this IS one of the most beautiful comics ever produced. If I'm going to spend between a grand or two grand for a comic, I think this would be one of my top picks. CGC has been around a long time and this is the first and only copy to get this grade. It may be the first and last -- key words: may be. White pages doesn't hurt the case. Al Stolz is a great dealer, too, so there is no concern about the seller. I still say...This is uncharted territory, and the sky's the limit. Let's face it: A lot of people want this comic, and it will be very interesting to see how this unfolds. popcorn.gif