• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This should be interesting...and expensive!!!!!!!!

92 posts in this topic

Although the 9.6 is potentially a four figure book, based on the reserve of $2K, I strongly doubt that the reserve will be met.

Just to be clear, he didn't say the reserve was that high. That was his estimate on how high the bidding will go.

I was thinking the bidding would end up around $1200-$1300, but with Joe now involved, who knows.

For that kind of money, you would think the seller would have more (and better) scans.

confused-smiley-013.gifsumo.gifyeahok.gif

In my opinion -- key words: in my opinion -- this IS one of the most beautiful comics ever produced. If I'm going to spend between a grand or two grand for a comic, I think this would be one of my top picks.

You also have to take into account this is essentially a reprint comic. Paying thousands for a 1970s comic with nothing new other than a nice cover seems mighty extreme. In my opinion.

Jim

Hey, don't forget the unpublished Wildcat story in this issue. poke2.gif

You guys are right, you can't really compare this book to Hulk #181 or Spidey #129, as it's in no way a key. It's the perfect example of how great covers are escalating in value like never before.

I graded my 3 copies at the time and only got a 8.0 and 2 8.5s. I kinda regretted grading all 3, as I don't have a raw copy of that book now. I'm still looking for a decent VF range copy to buy for my collection! foreheadslap.gif

Just buy the reprint screwy.gif I got one... as a matter of fact, I bet you I could slab my reprint and get a 9.8 at least? It'll look EXACTLY the same as the $600 - $2K one you guys are drooling over? devil.gif

I graded my 3 copies at the time and only got a 8.0 and 2 8.5s. I kinda regretted grading all 3, as I don't have a raw copy of that book now. I'm still looking for a decent VF range copy to buy for my collection! foreheadslap.gif

Just buy the reprint screwy.gif I got one... as a matter of fact, I bet you I could slab my reprint and get a 9.8 at least? It'll look EXACTLY the same as the $600 - $2K one you guys are drooling over? devil.gif

frustrated.gif

Hmmm... I have the Monteray copy of that book...depending on how this auction goes, it may be time for it to see the light of day insane.gif

Grade? Price? Scan? confused-smiley-013.gif

Hmmm... I have the Monteray copy of that book...depending on how this auction goes, it may be time for it to see the light of day insane.gif

Whew...luckily I have similar or higher grade books for the new bunch of 100 pagers that he's just listed! makepoint.gif

Whew...luckily I have similar or higher grade books for the new bunch of 100 pagers that he's just listed! makepoint.gif

He just listed a Flash #229, and I don't see one in your registry... poke2.gif

The one at CGC will get at least a 9.6 so tongue.gif

The one at CGC will get at least a 9.6 so tongue.gif

screwy.gif

Al's book is a beauty, and I know that he probably is expecting a lot for the book, although I have to say that the book, while cool, shouldn't command a rediculously high amount. I can see it cracking $1k when it's all said and done, but I doubt much higher.

Al's book is a beauty, and I know that he probably is expecting a lot for the book, although I have to say that the book, while cool, shouldn't command a rediculously high amount. I can see it cracking $1k when it's all said and done, but I doubt much higher.

You're a better guesser at this than I am. I see today it's up over $900. My initial guess was $600 plus. confused-smiley-013.gif

This certainly makes me curious what a Batman 238, or DC SS #4 would go for in 9.6 white pages. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

With 5 days left to go in the auction, I'm quite certain this book will get somewhere in the neighborhood of $1300 now. Yeah, I think that's a bit high on a book that's noteworthy really for only two reasons: the awesome Neal Adams cover and the fact that it's a squarebound (and those are hard to find in high grade).

I have no idea what the reserve is, and it's probably a bit high, but that might be intentional. I actually don't think a Bats 238 would command the same price. I love that cover, but for whatever reason, I've had an easier time finding that book, than I have the DC SS #6.

Al has high prices on his high grade. I think he'd be one of the first to admit it. On the other hand, I always see dealers trying to buy stuff from him, so it can't be insane because they try and pick stuff off from him to try and turn their own profit.

Al is one of the best guys you can meet in this hobby, so I wish him the best of luck in his auctions.

With 5 days left to go in the auction, I'm quite certain this book will get somewhere in the neighborhood of $1300 now. Yeah, I think that's a bit high on a book that's noteworthy really for only two reasons: the awesome Neal Adams cover and the fact that it's a squarebound (and those are hard to find in high grade).

I have no idea what the reserve is, and it's probably a bit high, but that might be intentional. I actually don't think a Bats 238 would command the same price. I love that cover, but for whatever reason, I've had an easier time finding that book, than I have the DC SS #6.

Al has high prices on his high grade. I think he'd be one of the first to admit it. On the other hand, I always see dealers trying to buy stuff from him, so it can't be insane because they try and pick stuff off from him to try and turn their own profit.

Al is one of the best guys you can meet in this hobby, so I wish him the best of luck in his auctions.

Regardless of what the book is at currently or what it will end up at, it's pretty irrelevant unless the reserve is met. I'm looking at the current bidder list and I'm having a hard time figuring out the bidders. The current top bidder has mainly bought precode horror and there are some low feedback bidders that I've never seen bid on any bronze DC books. Plus, we have the most famous of thrill bidders, judeloo, bidding on the book. The real action is the what happens on the last few minutes. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The current top bidder has mainly bought precode horror

acclaim.gif

Plus, we have the most famous of thrill bidders, judeloo, bidding on the book.

sumo.giftongue.gif

The real action is the what happens on the last few minutes. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'll bid it up just so I can flip it to one of you DC droolboys wink.gif or Pedigreecomics, here it comes...right up there with the $6000 ASM 238 CGC 9.9 893applaud-thumb.gif

On a serious note, do any of you feel CGC is a bit more lenient on GS books and DC 100 pagers because of the "squareboundedness" - In my experience, I've owned GS Defenders and some supes 100 pagers that IMO would not have graded as high had they been regular bronze or modern issues. The front and back covers of the thick books are equivalent in condition BUT the thick squarebound spines come with "crimps", tiny splits, and the slightest abraded corners and still get 9.2 - 9.6? Are these the gift books? If so I think I'll be sending in more of my GS and DC 100 pagers to get these high grades which I personally don't think they warrant?