• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upgrading your comics at conventions?

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering how common/popular it is to do this? For example, I have a copy of ASM #300 (7.0/7.5) and #129 (4.5) that I'd like to upgrade a few notches into 9.2 and 6.5-7.5.

How feasible is it to bring those books and get the full value of my books that I would get say on here or ebay that would be used to upgrade?

Or do you think the dealers there would be trying to get $50 for the 300 and $150 for the 129?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts or stories. B/c bringing some of my valuable books to a con seems risky if I don't in fact upgrade.

I think you're better off either a) selling your books first and using the funds to acquire the upgrades or b) find a suitable replacement first and once you have them sell the under copies.

You are only going to get full value for your books by someone who really wants them. Chances are slimmer that very person will be the same dealer who has the upgrades you want. Even if the dealer wants the book, it's not likely to be at the point of full value; keep in mind they'll need to turn a profit on top of their buying price.

You are always better off selling the books rather than getting full value for a trade up. Whenever I upgrade a book with plans to get rid of the undercopy, I buy the upgrade first then sell off the undercopy.

I would equate it to trading in a car at a dealership. They never give you what you could get from a private party as they want to make money on the car they take from you and the car they are selling you.

I think you're better off either a) selling your books first and using the funds to acquire the upgrades or b) find a suitable replacement first and once you have them sell the under copies.

You are only going to get full value for your books by someone who really wants them. Chances are slimmer that very person will be the same dealer who has the upgrades you want. Even if the dealer wants the book, it's not likely to be at the point of full value; keep in mind they'll need to turn a profit on top of their buying price.

That's really true. I was assuming as much but wasn't sure since dealers at cons tend to be a bit more flexible. I was thinking that by upgrading, they would be getting a profit based off of the upgrade they'd be selling to me.

Trying to get a profit on the undercopy seems like trying to double down profit wise.

You are always better off selling the books rather than getting full value for a trade up. Whenever I upgrade a book with plans to get rid of the undercopy, I buy the upgrade first then sell off the undercopy.

True. I wouldn't want to sell first in case somehow I get screwed and find myself having no copy haha. When you're on a tight budget sometimes it's hard buying the upgrade first.

I would equate it to trading in a car at a dealership. They never give you what you could get from a private party as they want to make money on the car they take from you and the car they are selling you.

They know its the most convenient way for the customer so there's extra $$ they can squeeze from ya.

I thought if the book was that sought after they'd be pleased with selling off their prize while still retaining a lesser copy that has eye appeal and draws in customers.

That's really true. I was assuming as much but wasn't sure since dealers at cons tend to be a bit more flexible. I was thinking that by upgrading, they would be getting a profit based off of the upgrade they'd be selling to me.

Trying to get a profit on the undercopy seems like trying to double down profit wise.

A dealer will expect to make some profit - he's paid a lot to set up at a show. If you have a book he wants he may give you a pretty good trade on it because he also makes a sale.

A dealer will expect to make some profit - he's paid a lot to set up at a show. If you have a book he wants he may give you a pretty good trade on it because he also makes a sale.

... or he'll sell his book at the discount he was already happy with, and get yours for free. You're not going to win trading up.