• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could only collect one character...

78 posts in this topic

Because I'm in that kind of mood... :devil:

If you could could only collect one character (team), who would it be and why?

For me this answer has changed over the years. It all started with Superman as a child. Then it was the X-Men as a young kid. Gravitated towards Batman as a teen. Then to Spidey in my college years. And now full circle back to Superman.

So there's my answer: Superman. The first. The best. The purest and perhaps broadest mythology in comics. The colors. The action. The history. The villain. A perfect three act story.

What say you? :baiting:

Always a tough question - but I'd have to go with my Muties. Been reading them since I was 12 years old, I'd have to go with them.

Human Torch.

That gives me durn near all of the Timely stuff to chase, plus all of the Fantastic Four, plus his solo series ( I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Strange Tales run) plus all the crossovers into Spidey and Marvel Team up, and a ton of other guest appearances.

Honorable mention: Superman, any and all precode appearances.

Generally speaking, I'm only a Spidey collector. All my slabbed books are Spider-Man minus the East of West book I speculated on. I don't think that book is going to pay off though…

I read a TON of stuff though and enjoy just about anything, but I don't see any reason to collect anything else.

Spider-man :shrug:

I have a love-hate relationship with the title... but I have not come to the point where my monthly trip to the LCS turns into a one a year trip...yet

As a youngster, I was a very focused collector, primarily collecting only a few characters/titles at at time. Much of this focus was due to my limited funds from my paper route and allowance, and then eventually random after-school jobs.

I started off collecting Sgt Rock (specifically OAAW) and Silver Age Green Lantern comics. After completing the OAAW and Sgt Rock run from 81 - up and the SA Green Lantern's, I moved on to esoteric DC runs. I sought out and completed runs of Peter Panda and also Rex the Wonder Dog before grad school hit and life got very, very busy calling for a hiatus in my collecting.

Now? ONE? Hmmm...it'd have to be something big... like completing the DC War Big Five (but that's five titles). If it were just one of those, I'd go with 1-80 on OAAW, I guess. As aggressive as I am though, that might take me a few months to a couple of years to complete...optimistically.

Spider-man :shrug:

I have a love-hate relationship with the title... but I have not come to the point where my monthly trip to the LCS turns into a one a year trip...yet

I get what your feeling.

At one time he was my favorite character. 10 years ago at this time he was what my favorite? Ever since the Mary Jane dream sequence I really haven`t had the same interest.

Ooo... Cool question, I cannot resist a reply to this one. It all started out for me as a young kid with G.I. Joe, I moved on to focus on X-Men as a grew old enough to like girls(plenty of"I-candy"there)with money from lawn mowing but always had a visceral fondness for The Punisher. So I would have to say Punisher........Everybody goes booo..... hissss....Eyes rolling back...uuuugghhh that guy!?...... I myself longed for years after H.S. to be able to get back to collecting and I am glad to have finally returned to it. Lo and behold I never fully realized until recently that I was admiring the same artists[MZ] work for most of my life.