• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAP 1 w/erasure on cover?

15 posts in this topic

Hi All:

About 20 years ago I purchased the GA key CAPTAIN AMERICA #1. Of course, that was before our beloved CGC was on the scene. The (reputable) seller (and I) graded it a Fine minus. The notable blemish of the CAP was the prominenrt erasure mark on the cover - it seemed as if someone had initially penned a loopy scribble DEAD CENTER, and then he/she/soneome else erased that scribble leaving less scribble and more erasure.

It is such a notable blemish I figure someone on the boards may have seen it since then. I'm sure it's been graded and slabbed by now, and I'm simply wondering if anyone knows by whom it was graded and what the grade is?

Thanks,

I bought my Cap 1 back in 2007 and at the time several Cap 1's were avaliable. I remember for the longest time clink had 2 and one was 8.0 but was printed without red color so it was labeled as a variant. The other was I bet the comic you are talking about. It was graded 6.5 and had the huge erasure on cover. I remember it being listed for 35k or so.

If I recall correctly, the loopy erasure mark on the 6.5 that was on CLink was mostly in the AMERICA part of the title header.

OP - you mention that the erasure was dead center, rather than in the title area, but other than that, the copy that was on CLink seems to match up with your description fairly well.

If I recall correctly, the loopy erasure mark on the 6.5 that was on CLink was mostly in the AMERICA part of the title header.

OP - you mention that the erasure was dead center, rather than in the title area, but other than that, the copy that was on CLink seems to match up with your description fairly well.

Ah…my memory is 20 years old, e.g….flawed! Maybe it was in the title. Bought it for 16K. Wish I hadn't sold it! doh!

That's it! These boards are so cool...

"I remember for the longest time clink had 2 and one was 8.0 but was printed without red color so it was labeled as a variant."

That's not a variant, that's a printing defect - big difference...

I agree but I'm fairly sure it had Variant on the CGC label. Could be wrong.

That CGC 6.5 on Heritage is the one I was talking about.

"I remember for the longest time clink had 2 and one was 8.0 but was printed without red color so it was labeled as a variant."

That's not a variant, that's a printing defect - big difference...

I agree but I'm fairly sure it had Variant on the CGC label. Could be wrong.

That CGC 6.5 on Heritage is the one I was talking about.

Wouldn't be the first time that CGC has screwed up a label... lol