• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Feel Sorry For The FF Fans Out There

47 posts in this topic

Did anyone really think Mark Waid's run was groundbreaking? I sure didn't. It was disappointing from the start. Weiringo's art was the highlight of the run. I never thought Waid took the FF in any new directions. I mean, this is Marvel's first family and they're meeting Jack Kirby in Heaven? How lame was that? Sure, it's a cute in-house-joke, but how many readers out there these days remember or even know who Jack Kirby was? Send the FF into space or into a computer world but don't send them into Heaven to look for God. I lost all interest in the "Hereafter" story and it made FF expendable. So, last month, I cut them from my list.

And I'm a Mark Waid fan!

Did anyone really think Mark Waid's run was groundbreaking? I sure didn't. It was disappointing from the start. Weiringo's art was the highlight of the run. I never thought Waid took the FF in any new directions. I mean, this is Marvel's first family and they're meeting Jack Kirby in Heaven? How lame was that? Sure, it's a cute in-house-joke, but how many readers out there these days remember or even know who Jack Kirby was? Send the FF into space or into a computer world but don't send them into Heaven to look for God. I lost all interest in the "Hereafter" story and it made FF expendable. So, last month, I cut them from my list.

And I'm a Mark Waid fan!

Oh I disagree. Before the "Heaven" storyline, the title was as good as anything done with the FF since the Byrne run. "Unbreakable" ranks as one of the great Doom arcs ever done and the other stories prior to the Kirby appearance were well done as well. All this came to a grinding halt with "Heaven" and Waid has never regained the momentum lost.

Jim

And I'm a Mark Waid fan!

Oh I disagree. Before the "Heaven" storyline, the title was as good as anything done with the FF since the Byrne run. "Unbreakable" ranks as one of the great Doom arcs ever done and the other stories prior to the Kirby appearance were well done as well. All this came to a grinding halt with "Heaven" and Waid has never regained the momentum lost.

Jim

I disagree. I didn't like the "mean" tone of "Unbreakable" and thought it was taking it too far. I like the current Galactus arc as it's pretty funny. I haven't laughed at an FF issue in a long time.

uh oh! So now we finally get to read about that secret three-way Sue had with Doc Doom and Namor in the castle steam room. And who their illegitimate mutant/cosmically aged triplets turned out to be and why they blame Reed for it all.

well she did name her daughter valeria

Jim

I disagree. I didn't like the "mean" tone of "Unbreakable" and thought it was taking it too far. I like the current Galactus arc as it's pretty funny. I haven't laughed at an FF issue in a long time.

I like it too, this series current arc has brought back the laugher that has been missing for so long.

Bill

Before Mark Waid's Unbreakable storyline, Dr. Doom was a tragic villain who maintained his honor. I hope a future writer can retcon this storyline out of the FF's history. Maybe it was a Doombot or something ...

I liked John Byrne's Dr. Doom ... he was much more believable then than he was in Unbreakable. In unbreakable, this man who had fought so long to find his long, lost Valeria, finally finds her only to kill her!?!

Nah, I still don't buy it. Maybe the real Doom was in Heaven with Jack Kirby ...

awe4one:

"Unbreakable" ranks as one of the great Doom arcs ever done

uclapeterg:

I didn't like the "mean" tone of "Unbreakable" and thought it was taking it too far.

matewan1990:

Before Mark Waid's Unbreakable storyline, Dr. Doom was a tragic villain who maintained his honor.

foreheadslap.gif

Guys, it's "Unthinkable".

Before Mark Waid's Unbreakable storyline, Dr. Doom was a tragic villain who maintained his honor. I hope a future writer can retcon this storyline out of the FF's history. Maybe it was a Doombot or something ...

I liked John Byrne's Dr. Doom ... he was much more believable then than he was in Unbreakable. In unbreakable, this man who had fought so long to find his long, lost Valeria, finally finds her only to kill her!?!

Nah, I still don't buy it. Maybe the real Doom was in Heaven with Jack Kirby ...

The post Byrne Doom was at first a sniveling, self pitying, monarch without a home. Absolutely terrible character writing and was as out of character as Doom could be written in my opinion. Simonson tried to retcon Doom to explain this travesty but he went a tad too far and his explanation was forgotten. Though they didn't forget to leave Doom as monarch of Latveria...

DeFalco got his mitts on him and very little changed. Doom was a shadow of his former self...

Waid brought the badass and entirely regal Doom back. That gets major props in my book and shows that Waid "gets" the character whereas so many other post Byrne writers were severely lacking...

And yes Newt...it was indeed "Unthinkable". Thanks for the assist...

Jim

Waid brought the badass and entirely regal Doom back. That gets major props in my book and shows that Waid "gets" the character whereas so many other post Byrne writers were severely lacking...

Totally agree. I thought Waid did an exceptional job of bringing the old Doom back, but also making him slightly more sinister. That run is what brought me back to the FF title after years. Great arc. 893applaud-thumb.gif