• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All time best WW2 Captain America story arcs

7 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

I've recently become interested in reading Cap comics. I haven't read very many other than a random 90's trade and the first trade of Brubaker's run, but whenever there is a WW2 flashback it always gets me intrigued.

I'm not sure how many Cap books focus mainly on WW2, but I would love to read any and would greatly appreciate suggestions! The first Invaders series seems to be based mostly in WW2, and they recently released this trade

http://www.amazon.ca/Invaders-Classic-Complete-Collection-1/dp/0785190570/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1409522038&sr=8-5&keywords=invaders

Would this be a good place to start?

Sorry if this has already been asked before or is in the wrong section, I couldn't find any similar threads and I figured it probably wouldn't be contained in just one age section.

Thanks!

I haven't read the Invaders comics since i was a kid, but I recall the Kirby covers being superior to what was inside.

Tales of Suspense 63-71 have Lee/Kirby Cap stories set in WW2, and are a fun read, available in the first Cap Marvel Masterpiece collection.

I seem to recall the 1991 4 issue mini - The Adventures of Captain America, set during WW2, was reasonably enjoyable.

For a worthwhile expansion on the retconned 2nd and 3rd Caps from just after WW2, I recommend the four issue Captain America: Patriot mini.

Of course for actual GA wartime Cap stories there are the first 10 issues by Simon & Kirby, collected in various forms, and highly recommended. Later issues have been compiled in the Masterworks editions, but outside some awesome splash pages, I haven't found them as readable as the S&K run.

Of course for actual GA wartime Cap stories there are the first 10 issues by Simon & Kirby, collected in various forms, and highly recommended. Later issues have been compiled in the Masterworks editions, but outside some awesome splash pages, I haven't found them as readable as the S&K run.

Awesome, thanks!

Aside from the Invaders, which I have read only in small portions, there is a story I loved which is a cross-over in:

Fantastic Four Annual #11

Marvel Two-in-One Annual #1

Marvel Two-in-One #20

and features the Liberty Legion. Part of it is in our timeline, part is during wartime. :)