• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rusty staples

35 posts in this topic

It's a beautiful book. I'm happier with the blue label. It's still the highest graded, actually only copy graded of this issue. Here's a pic before the re-sub. It's been posted in other threads, but what the heck, here it is again...

thrilling33.jpg

Nah, POV, you're not alone,....just patrolling your own area of space,....deep space! Please give my regards to Janeway & the crew!

OK - funny post. 27_laughing.gif

OK - serisouly - it really tweaks me when someone just suggests an undefined off-hand restoration technique like "use a toothbrush".

Hit the drugstore and check out the various hardnesses of toothbrushes. The range is considerable and I repeat - a "hard" can do damage. And I also repeat just rubbing the toothbrush against the staples - obviously you are only gonna hit the top of the staples and you are NOT gonna be able to prevent hitting the ppaer - inside or outside.

And - my bad - my faux pas - call me persona non grata (or some such).

But ok - you hit it with a toothbrush. SO what? You clean the exposed part of the staples. The part of the staples actually touching the paper is untouched. And THAT is the part that is gonna do damage. So do not get the suggestion.

PS - Picard says "Janeway sounds like Kate Hepburn with a cold."

(Anyone remember Janeway when she played Mrs. Columbo in the short-lived tv show?)

This is a glaring example of CGC not following the OS Guide grading criteria, despite CGC's claims to the contrary. Staples that are actually rusted should drop ANY book down to a VG/FN at best, IMO.

Is that what the grading guide says? Cause I'm still mystified by what the OS price guide section on grading says about "rust migration." As I posted above,

But all the way from Very Good to Fine/ Very Fine 7.0 variations of "rust migration" are allowed. Question: where's the rust migrating from on a 7.0 book if not from a rusty staple? So, anybody know the Overstreet or CGC grading cutoff for rust on staples?

confused-smiley-013.gif

I believe this would refer to rust migration from rusty staples on a different book (above/below the affected book in a stack or something).

Thanks drbanner, I've seen that occasionally, and I suppose that's the correct way to interpret Overstreet (but it does seem they spend a lot of time talking about what is a fairly rare defect if they're talking about book-to-book rust migration.)

So is the consensus that a rusty staple automatically lowers the book to the VG range?

And that scraping off the rust from the staple would earn the book a PLOD?

Thanks drbanner, I've seen that occasionally, and I suppose that's the correct way to interpret Overstreet (but it does seem they spend a lot of time talking about what is a fairly rare defect if they're talking about book-to-book rust migration.)

So is the consensus that a rusty staple automatically lowers the book to the VG range?

And that scraping off the rust from the staple would earn the book a PLOD?

Zonk,

I don't think so . . . there are varying degrees of "rust", tarnishing, etc. Severe rust that has migrated to the pages and cover staining them might lower a book into the VG range, but not light tarnishing. The book is still graded on the whole.

I have a CGC graded 8.5 GS Defenders #1 with a lighty rusted staple (and VL staining to the interior back cover). However, it was taken down a full point as a consequence.

"Scraping" is easily detectable with a loop or scope, but brushing and or rubbing is not. Scraping will generally result in either a GLOD or PLOD.

This is a glaring example of CGC not following the OS Guide grading criteria, despite CGC's claims to the contrary. Staples that are actually rusted should drop ANY book down to a VG/FN at best, IMO.

Is that what the grading guide says? Cause I'm still mystified by what the OS price guide section on grading says about "rust migration." As I posted above,

But all the way from Very Good to Fine/ Very Fine 7.0 variations of "rust migration" are allowed. Question: where's the rust migrating from on a 7.0 book if not from a rusty staple? So, anybody know the Overstreet or CGC grading cutoff for rust on staples?

confused-smiley-013.gif

I believe this would refer to rust migration from rusty staples on a different book (above/below the affected book in a stack or something).

DB - imaginative, but wrong I believe - see above post. hi.gif

What kind of paste do I use? Gleam? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Naturally you would want to use a "whitening" toothpaste. Rub it all over the pages for that "Mint Look"!

stooges.gif

Yes - am joking - do not do this. crazy.gif

I'm only using "Rembrandt" 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

7500.jpg

confused-smiley-013.gif

DB - imaginative, but wrong I believe - see above post. hi.gif

I don't believe it's wrong in the context of Zonker's question, which is "where's the rust migrating from on a 7.0 book if not from a rusty staple?" I don't have the grading guide in front of me, but Zonker said that rusty staples are only explicitly mentioned in Good/Very Good 3.0. but all the way from Very Good to Fine/ Very Fine 7.0 variations of "rust migration" are allowed, and "Discoloration" of staples is allowed all the way up to Near Mint.

The Manitoba collection exhibits this very defect as many of the books were stored in an exposed environment, resulting in rusty staples from one book causing rust staining on an adjacent book (that did not have rusty staples).

I have a TOS 39 with off color staples that I've always graded out around a VF or better. Now that I saw the Action in 8.5 with a rusted staple, maybe the TOS is even better. Sharp corners, no spine wear, but a 1/4" x 1" non color breaking light crease on the back cover (upper right). Oh yea, and a 1 inch tear on one interior page at the top middle of the page in the first third of the book. I haven't opened the comic up since 1985.

No rust, no migration, just not shiny.

No known restoration.

Although, I'm scared to send it in, because I'd hate to find out something was done way back when.