• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I would definitely do it again!

14 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I thought I would share my experience from the Wizard World Fan Expo that was held in Chicago this year.

First off, I should explain that I have been a Spider-Man fan since I started collecting Amazing Spider-Man comics (way) back in 1982. The very first comic that I ever bought off the newsstand was ASM #227 and I was pretty much hooked from the first page (actually I think it may have been the cover).

Since then I have managed to acquire every regular title Spider-Man comic ever published (Amazing, Spectacular, Team-Up, Web, Spider-Man, etc.) including a lot of appearances by, one-offs and mini-series.

So, as you can see, I am a pretty big Spider-Man fan.

My convention experience prior to Chicago was limited to just one event -- Toronto 1991 -- Where I had Todd McFarlane sign my copy of ASM #300 (in gold ink). I remember feeling a bit weird about having to stand in line to meet him, especially since none of the other artists or writers had line-ups. I also remember that Mr. McFarlane was not very friendly and seemed (was) very arrogant.

All in all, it was not a very fun experience, and since then I have stayed away from conventions -- Until now!

I should also mention, however, that a few years ago I purchased a CGC 6.0 copy of ASM #1 from someone on Craigslist for $6,000.00.

...(Now, I know that some of you will cringe at the next part of this story, but I have to tell it in order for any of this to matter)...

Once I got my newly acquired ASM #1 home, I cracked open the case, and carefully read through the comic (this was the first time ever that I had read an original copy).

After reading it, I put it away with the intent of getting it graded (again) some day -- But I really wanted Stan Lee's signature on it, and I also didn't want to send it through the mail. So, I waited...

Cut to August 2014:

Convention Day 1: I arrived in Chicago after a 7 hour drive from Toronto, Canada. I had 43 modern books (mostly ASM#1 vol.3 variants) and 7 silver age Amazing Spider-Man comics with me, two of which were Amazing Fantasy #15 and my aforementioned Amazing Spider-Man #1.

I finally found my opportunity to not only get Stan's signature, but CGC was grading on-site as well, so I wouldn't have to worry about sending my expensive comics through the mail.

I've sent tons of comics to CGC in Florida to be graded, but I had never been through the on-site process so I was very nervous, anxious, AND stressed out! Carlos, who owns Gotham Central Comics in Mississauga near Toronto, gave me the name of someone that he said would help me out -- Mike B., a CGC on-site rep.

I visited Mike at the CGC booth as soon as the convention opened on the Thursday and, I have to tell you, he was amazing! He really helped me out -- My anxiety level even lowered to the point where I could talk without throwing up. Actually, everyone at the CGC booth was awesome! What a great group of people -- Super energetic and super helpful -- They really made the experience that much better!

Of the 50 comics that I brought with me, I subbed 40 comics for modern tier grading, 4 for silver tier pressing and grading, and the remaining 6 comics I wanted to get signed (by Stan Lee), pressed, and graded (various tiers).

Convention Day 2: Stan Lee was signing at 6pm so I showed up 3 hours early to get in line. Lucky for me that I did, because at 4pm we found out he was going to be there earlier than expected. At around 5:30pm he showed up, and 10 minutes later I finally met one of my childhood (and adulthood) heroes. It was unbelievable and I was in comic nerd heaven!

Watching him sign my copies of AF #15 and ASM #1 was euphoric. And because I was getting six comics signed by him, I was able get one question out before I was herded along -- I asked him why he had named Peter Parker "Peter Palmer" in the second story of ASM #1. He paused, looked up from the comic he was signing, and said:

"I made a mistake -- That's all it was -- Just an terrible mistake"

After getting my books signed (and recovering from my meeting with Stan), I dropped them off with the CGC guys and rushed back to my hotel room where I lay down and replayed the events of the day in my head. I was exhausted, but numbly happy.

Convention Day 3: I received all my modern subbed comics (that was fast!) -- Of the 40 that I got back, 34 were 9.8s. The issues that didn't get a 9.8 were duplicates of subs anyway, so I was really, really happy with with my haul!

Convention Day 4: I got the rest of my graded comics back -- Of the 6 that I got signed and graded I received:

- 6.0 (restored) on my AF #15 (I knew it was restored before I got it signed and graded)

- 4.5 on my ASM #3 (I thought I would get a 3.0)

- 9.8 on my ASM #700 Ditko variant; (I did not expect that! Woo hoo!)

- 9.8 on my ASM #1 vol.3 Ross sketch variant (Nice!)

- 9.8 on my Collectible Classics: Spider-Man #2 chromium cover (What a relief)

And my ASM #1 that was a 6.0 before I cracked it open to read?

I got a 6.5!!!!!

Can you believe it? Words cannot describe how happy I was (am). When does that ever happen?

All in all, my experience in Chicago was unbelievable -- From meeting Stan Lee and getting his signature on a few of my favorite Spider-Man comics, to getting to meet the extremely nice and helpful CGC crew, to everything else at the show, I would have to say that I would definitely do it again!

Thanks for listening...

15887.jpg

Great story! Thanks for sharing your convention story! I too met Stan for the first time in March of this year and I too was in nerd Heaven!

You're correct about Mike and the other CGC guys and gals. They are very helpful, and wonderful to deal with!

I'm glad you had a great show, and I and my brother plan to do the same in Baltimore this weekend.

Congrats on your ASM #1. What an amazing copy!

You have no idea how much in Nerd Heaven he was. I will never forget the giddiness Bagofleas could not contain. Even my first meeting with Stan Lee was memorable. As I messages you, great post, great journal. I do hope to read more from you about the convention. Baltimore is a great con that I hope one day you will attend. But I hope between Bagofleas and I, we might be able to paint a picture for you over the few days we will be there.

Welcome to the journals

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I'm always worried about posting any personal sort of stuff online as there are a lot of haters out there. But from all the responses I've read to all the journals that you guys have written, the gang here seems to be pretty cool.

I'm hoping to write more journals in the future -- I've been meaning to for a while -- but my own insecurities have held me back. It was really only the excitement I had about my amazing experience in Chicago that motivated me to write.

As for the rest of my Chicago experience? I'll have to put together a PART II for you guys!

Thanks for sharing your experience at WW Chicago and your passion for Spidey!

It's great to know an accomplished and high profile figure like Stan Lee cam admit to a mistake (which I never knew about until today).

And how lucky are you? You have guts to crack open a holy grail, read it, get Stan's inscription and make out with a better grade!

These are the kinds of stories which are not only fun to read, but keep us comic fans forever.

SW3D

I should probably add that the CCS gang was just as awesome as the CGC guys, but I kind of consider them the same group and it was hard to tell where one ended and the other began since they were sharing the same booths.

So since the rough rule of thumb on ASM is $1000 per point, you made $500 by getting it pressed, and it's worth even more with Stan's sig. Congrats!

Can you post a pic of the ASM 1, I'd love to see it.

I enjoyed the story. Stan is someone I would love to meet, he came down to a comic con here in Australia but all the tickets for him were snatched up before I even knew he was coming. Great haul on the comics!

Great post BooZer. Thanks for sharing the great pics as well. Man...ASM #1 in 6.5 that is too cool. Can't wait to hear more about the con as well...with pics if you have them! Did you pick up any books while you were there or just grade those you brought with you? Wow...6.5.