• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pierce Brosnan "Batman, The *spoon* Batman"

12 posts in this topic

Does the title work? This is sort of old news but I heard it while listening to a Podcast tonight. I didn't see a thread in my search…

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/pierce-brosnan-turned-role-batman/story?id=25084668

Brosnan was not only in the running for Batman, but he actually turned down the part back during the Burton era. I'm sort of perplexed that an actor would turn down the role of a lifetime.

Personally, as a Bond fan, I actually enjoyed Brosnan as Batman. It may simply be nostalgia. I grew up playing and watching Goldeneye.

I'm not sure how I feel about him as Batman though….

You're from a generation where Batman has always been cool - even among the mainstream.

I remember Batmania like it was yesterday... the hype around the Burton flick was insane. Before that, Batman was Adam West... which now... again... sounds cool! And to many of us, it always was, but to everyone else it was just a silly old campy television show with BIFF! and BOP! and crazy dialog.

With some context it is easier to understand someone turning it down.

I'm not sure how I feel about him as Batman though….

I was just as blown away by that news when it came out. I had never heard this before.

Pierce Brosnan

But if you read that thread, take a look at other stars that were selected for roles - the studio changed its mind - yet they still had to pay them. Or, situations like Russell Crowe being selected as Wolverine (now very well known), but he wanted such a drastic character change, Singer and Crowe could not see eye-to-eye on this role.

The big change Russell Crowe wanted to make if he'd played Wolverine

Amazing how many 'Could have been' stories are out there with CBMs.

It wasn't the role of a lifetime back then. How has it helped Keaton?

And he was 007 at the time, wasn't he?

He had been in talks to be Bond, but he wasn't yet. There was a lot of red tape getting Brosnan as Bond.

Even today I think most actors would rather be 007. Go back to 2008 and tell Robert Downey Jr he can be 007 or Iron Man, but not both, my money says he chooses 007.

He had been in talks to be Bond, but he wasn't yet. There was a lot of red tape getting Brosnan as Bond.

Even today I think most actors would rather be 007. Go back to 2008 and tell Robert Downey Jr he can be 007 or Iron Man, but not both, my money says he chooses 007.

He wasn't told he could be one or the other though…

Choosing a role is often pretty complicated, and as Brosnan was in talks to be the new 007 (which has been a dream role for male actors since the 1960's) the guy who did Beetlejuice wanted him to be a comic book character last played by Adam West. Accepting that role could have hurt his chances to be 007, not only because of scheduling issues, but because of typecasting. This is why Al Pacino chose not to be in Goodfellas.

Of course Robert Downey Jr. wasn't told he had to be one or the other. He'd never have a shot at 007. But there are a lot of things to consider before you decide to be a comic book action movie star. Look how that worked out for Nick Cage. While being Tony Start has launched Robert Downey Jr from beloved arthouse actor who did a movie once every six years to red carpet megastar and hero to children, when Cage did it it was just another embarrassing addition to his IMDB page. When it comes to studio productions it could easily go one direction or the other. We have Oscar winners getting panned by critics in box office flops because they weren't picky with their roles, they placed too much faith in the studio, they listened to the wrong advice, whatever. And then we have people whose name we can bank on being a good movie. There's a fine line in between a lot of actors like to be in, where they hope all their movies are critically acclaimed but at the same time don't want to turn down too many paychecks. But the actors who don't make choices not only on which roles to accept, but which roles to decline, end up being remembered like Nick Cage.

also don't discount that the way many americans view batman (especially in the 60's - 80's) is probably different than the way many Irish people view Batman

Choosing a role is often pretty complicated, and as Brosnan was in talks to be the new 007 (which has been a dream role for male actors since the 1960's) the guy who did Beetlejuice wanted him to be a comic book character last played by Adam West. Accepting that role could have hurt his chances to be 007, not only because of scheduling issues, but because of typecasting. This is why Al Pacino chose not to be in Goodfellas.

Of course Robert Downey Jr. wasn't told he had to be one or the other. He'd never have a shot at 007. But there are a lot of things to consider before you decide to be a comic book action movie star. Look how that worked out for Nick Cage. While being Tony Start has launched Robert Downey Jr from beloved arthouse actor who did a movie once every six years to red carpet megastar and hero to children, when Cage did it it was just another embarrassing addition to his IMDB page. When it comes to studio productions it could easily go one direction or the other. We have Oscar winners getting panned by critics in box office flops because they weren't picky with their roles, they placed too much faith in the studio, they listened to the wrong advice, whatever. And then we have people whose name we can bank on being a good movie. There's a fine line in between a lot of actors like to be in, where they hope all their movies are critically acclaimed but at the same time don't want to turn down too many paychecks. But the actors who don't make choices not only on which roles to accept, but which roles to decline, end up being remembered like Nick Cage.

How much do you know about Brosnan as Bond? They bent over backwards to cast him in the part and it took years to get it done. It, and a variety of other reasons, is why it took so long for a Bond movie to come out in the 90s. I'm sure the Barbara Broccoli would have been ecstatic to know that Brosnan was also in another huge film property.

I'm glad Brosnan wasn't able to play Bond in the 80's (he was considered in the running for 81's For Your Eyes Only- according to the commentary). John Glen was a 2nd unit director put in the driver's seat. Basically, the producers just wanted action set pieces by then, no character developments. No offense to the Bond purists on here (my top Bonds 1. Goldfinger, 2. Skyfall, 3. From Russia With Love), but Brosnan far benefitted from the occasional change of directors. It gave him room to grow as the character and win over a new audience.