• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ungraded Slabs?

30 posts in this topic

CGC has always had that policy. A book with a bad overhang usually gets further damage if it is placed in a slab. If stored upright the edge can, and often does curl inward towards itself while in the slab. In some severe cases the book physically will not fit if the overhang is that bad or it has a spine roll.

Even though you are disappointed, they did the right thing.

CGC has always had that policy. A book with a bad overhang usually gets further damage if it is placed in a slab. If stored upright the edge can, and often does curl inward towards itself while in the slab. In some severe cases the book physically will not fit if the overhang is that bad or it has a spine roll.

Even though you are disappointed, they did the right thing.

No, I'm not questioning their judgment, I just wish they had some way to slab that kind of book. But, yeah, disappointed.

How about we split the difference and just have the option (cheaper) to not grade SS/Sketch books? They could be assigned a yellow label "NG" like those produced with aftermarket blank covers. It could lower the price point entry for collectors and still be a witnessed book.

I made this suggestion a long time ago.

Not so much for regular books but for sketch covers. If you get a sketch on an Avenger 1 blank and you don't want a grade then you can opt for a NG label.

I didn't make a suggestion that they charge less, just that they give the option. I got the yea yea response.

I have a lot of raw blank sketch covers done at cons, in stores, though the mail. That I would love to have the added protection of CGC case, but I hate green labels. I don't see the reason why you can't get a yellow NG label. It is obvious that the book has a sketch, let the artwork speak for itself on the secondary market if/when I go to sell. I think someone can tell a J Scott Campbell sketch from my four year old niece with a box of crayons.

I sent a very nice FF 11 in to be stabbed and it came back un slabbed with a note saying it has an "overhang" and they couldn't/wouldn't slab it. I think they need some way to deal with that. I have no way to have it graded (except with some other company) or I guess I can just keep it in Mylar.

Maybe they could stab it some more to get rid of the overhang? (shrug)

I have a lot of raw blank sketch covers done at cons, in stores, though the mail. That I would love to have the added protection of CGC case, but I hate green labels. I don't see the reason why you can't get a yellow NG label. It is obvious that the book has a sketch, let the artwork speak for itself on the secondary market if/when I go to sell. I think someone can tell a J Scott Campbell sketch from my four year old niece with a box of crayons.

Because you must have a CAW present when you pick them up DIRECTLY from the artists.. :rulez: