• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

E. Gerber vs. Bill Cole mylar

19 posts in this topic

I have never bought mylar or supplies on the Internet before; I usually get them at cons, but I need some now and no con till March.

So I was looking at Bill Cole online, and it appears like his stuff is very expensive at $35 for 50 silver/gold mylars (7 3/4 x 10 1/2) and $16.50 for 100 acid free boards (7 3/8 x 10 3/8).

I also looked at E Gerber supplies at comicsupply.com, the price for E Gerber boards was $19.99 for 50 silver/gold mylars (7 3/4 x 10 1/2) and $7.99 for silver (7 1/2 x 10 1/2).

Basically, the Bill Cole X-Tender stuff is 1/4 inch wider for their gold/silver backing boards line; the E Gerber only has a "silver" backing board, but I cannot see that being worth the price difference.

Before I place my order with comicsupply.com, I thought I would ask what your experiences here are? Why does Bill Cole charge so much more, is it a better product? Is there another site besides those I have mentioned? I am mostly using these for late 50's-bronze age DC's. Thanks!

Why does Bill Cole charge so much more, is it a better product?

IMO, no, it's no better.

Is there another site besides those I have mentioned? I am mostly using these for late 50's-bronze age DC's. Thanks!

You mean 70's?

Go with Gerber. BTW, they will cut backing boards to any size you want so don't let that sway you one way or the other.

Everyone's opinion of ComicSupply aside, I'm curious to see what he comes up with when he fashions his own mylites, which he's mentioned he is doing. Having only recently started mylite-ing my best books, I've been slightly irritated by the fact that the board doesn't fill up the bag entirely.

Everyone's opinion of ComicSupply aside, I'm curious to see what he comes up with when he fashions his own mylites, which he's mentioned he is doing. Having only recently started mylite-ing my best books, I've been slightly irritated by the fact that the board doesn't fill up the bag entirely.

Size does not matter. At least that's what I tell myself.

Size does not matter. At least that's what I tell myself.

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

I've been slightly irritated by the fact that the board doesn't fill up the bag entirely.

I just started the same thing, after getting 50 mylites2 from Comicsupply, and have been annoyed as well. I have a few mylites from various purchases where the board does fill up the entire bag. I wonder who makes those...

I have never bought mylar or supplies on the Internet before; I usually get them at cons, but I need some now and no con till March.

So I was looking at Bill Cole online, and it appears like his stuff is very expensive at $35 for 50 silver/gold mylars (7 3/4 x 10 1/2) and $16.50 for 100 acid free boards (7 3/8 x 10 3/8).

I also looked at E Gerber supplies at comicsupply.com, the price for E Gerber boards was $19.99 for 50 silver/gold mylars (7 3/4 x 10 1/2) and $7.99 for silver (7 1/2 x 10 1/2).

Basically, the Bill Cole X-Tender stuff is 1/4 inch wider for their gold/silver backing boards line; the E Gerber only has a "silver" backing board, but I cannot see that being worth the price difference.

Before I place my order with comicsupply.com, I thought I would ask what your experiences here are? Why does Bill Cole charge so much more, is it a better product? Is there another site besides those I have mentioned? I am mostly using these for late 50's-bronze age DC's. Thanks!

I'm currently trying to do a little research on mylar products from E Gerber myself, and thus far, I've ordered in a sample pack of their 'current' sizings. The sample packs are $5.00 (to cover shipping), and if you contact them via e-mail or phone, they can send one out to you. So, if you want to actually see what the various products will look like, in a certain size range, order a sample pack from them. I'm looking for a combination to settle on for storing my moderns in, and I need to order a 'standard' size sample pack still, to compare the fit with the 'current' sizing I've already received.

Here's a couple of shots of the sample pack I received from E Gerber:

egerber_01.jpg

egerber_02.jpg

I've got further photos of comics actually IN the various bags as well, if anyone cares to see what they look like bagged. But, since you're all talking about Golden Age books, I wasn't sure you wanted to see Modern fittings. insane.gif

I picked up 100 Mylite 2's and Fullbacks from Gerber (or was it 200? Danged if I remember!)

Anyway - think it was 100 - anyway - 200? 150? 117? - ANYWAY ::thwack:: have gone through the majority of them and every board filles every Mylite 2 just right.

So I have to say Gerber's products really hit the spot!

I've used both in the past. Recently I've used the Gerber stock as Comicsupply has them at very good rates. I still recieve BCs wholesale mailings from when I had my store and even those rates are higher. For mylite2s and mylars,I'd just go with the best price.Forget the original mylite and go with the 2s.

I'm with you. I buy from E Gerber and have been very pleased, but I really want a board that fills up the bag.

I'm using these bags: 725M2 7 1/4 x 10 3/4 Standard Comics - 1970's-90's

I'm using these boards: 700HB 7 x 10 1/2 Standard Comics - fits 725

They aren't quite snug enough, but I've found that the smaller ones are too snug. frustrated.gif

Before I place my order with comicsupply.com, I thought I would ask what your experiences here are? Why does Bill Cole charge so much more, is it a better product?

I thought you might find this interesting.

I bought thirty thousand mylites (he calles them Arklights) from Bill Cole, via my friend Jonathan Browne at "They Walk Among Us".

These were in four different sizes - Super Gold, Golden Age, Silver Age, and Current.

All my gold and silver age comics plus important moderns are all in mylites with boards.

The problem is that in each set of 100, I have NEVER EVER found more than 100 inside. And in many there have been 97 or 98 or 99, but never ever once has there been even ONE MYLITE over the hundred.

And the problem is that there are occasional faults, like a small stuck-together hole which rips apart when you try to open the mylite, utterly ruining it for use. Or a mylite where the top is okay and the correct size but the bottom is three inches narrower, and the side slopes away in size.

Plus there is no standardisation - many current ones are way way too wide, others fit perfectly snugly. Some flaps fit the boards exactly, others are so miscut that you have to double fold the flap to get them to fit the boards without leaving an ugly eighth of an inch overhang that just looks plain sloppy.

Yes they look beautiful when they fit properly and are on the comic, clean shiny and pristine, BUT they should always include two or three extra per pack of 100, to allow for any faults, and they never do. I have counted hundreds of my packs in sheer frustration, LONGING to find one pack with 101 mylites inside, but they must be under orders to ensure that no customer ever gets one single mylite over the advertised amount, which, considering that so many packs have 97 or 98, is an abuse of customer faith in them.

I've never aired this grievance before, but given how expensive they are, their customer supply and service stinks.

I prefer neither Gerber nor Cole, but get my mylites and backing boards from Jef Hinds (Comic Conservation Company: link )

Don't know how their prices compare, but I like that the boards consistently fit snugly into the bags, at least for the Silver Age size that I get. Moreover, the boards are consistently flat, and the fullbacks provide the best buffering protection from paper acids that I know of. I tried Bill Cole once, and the 200 boards arrived warped (hump/cavity in the middle), and also were too small to fit snugly in their partner bags.

Jef Hinds of Comic Conservation sells mylars and boards that are consistently high quality. With mylar you get what you pay for. Ernie Gerber mylars are the minimum allowable specs that fall into the 4ml category. I can't tell you how many Ernie Gerbie mylars have split open on me. I found them to be the worst. Bill Cole has excellent Mylars but I find his back baords to be a bit on the curvy side unless you buy the top of the line ones. Bill also has some very aggressive shipping costs so I avoid buying through the mail.

All of my inventory is bagged and boarded with Jeff Hind's mylars and boards, great quality, boards are always flat and great service

I get all my 4 mil Mylars from Jef (I like the closed top) and my 2 mils and boards from Gerber. That being said, defects can happen to any of the suppliers products. I got a package of 4 mils from Jef where almost half had seem splits on the bottom. He made it right of course, but it still happened.