• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Comic Con Report: Dealer's Report

43 posts in this topic

Why give a discount to dealers?

Not too many collectors dropping $10k in half an hour on a stack of books. Dealers also make for the best repeat customers.

(thumbs u

I sell more than 50% of my books to dealers/resellers (sometimes much higher %) There are many reasons why it works, but the bottom line is that I do not sell the books for any less than I would to a "collector"- not many of them left in my opinion though. I do tell my regular buyers to email their want list to me before the show and I will hold the books for them- I hardly ever get any emails so to me the books are fair game to whoever wants to pay my price.

For me it is about selling books and I have to sell when there is an interested buyer, regardless of what their intent is ultimately.

I can also say that watching Brian basically control the entire room on Thursday at 4:00 was fascinating to see. Some of the biggest dealers in the hobby waiting their turn. At one point, I am going through a box of HG/key raws, when Mike Carbono slides in next to me. I pull out a low grade JIM 83 and look at it, then look at Mike and put it in his stack. Mike's response was "hell yea" and he kept it in his pile. Basically, there were plenty of great books for everyone even though most of us probably wished we could buy more than we did.