• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Comic Con Report: Dealer's Report

43 posts in this topic

What about ASM50?

One of the few books I wasn't asked for. I also saw several available for sale still on Sunday.

I had 3 very reasonably priced copies, and didn't sell one either...

Sold two Fear 19s in CGC 9.6 -- All Howard 1s went as well.

I had a lot of stuff in that $10 box. Dealers got to it and picked it clean by noon.

Mind if I ask what range the 9.6's went for?

It was our first time setting up at Baltimore and it was a great experience. Setup on Thursday and Friday morn was rough as the inside temps were balmy with no air. But I needed to go on a diet anyway so I cant complain. We brought a little bit of everything from early golden age right up to the Death of Wolverine but silver through early 90's made up most of our inventory. Sales were good but I have nothing to compare it to as it was my first setup since '01 and all of my prior dealings have been at local cons with only couple of thousand attendees or less. I'm not sure if Baltimore hit 50k attendance but it sure looked like it.

I introduced myself to Greggy who only had two comments back to me:

1) "I thought you would be a lot younger"

2) "Got any Scooby #1's?

It was good seeing Tyler, Mark & Earl Shaw

I worked out a good transaction with ComicLink who were very nice and professional.

We had a lot of fun conversations with customers about pulps, Archie, foreign artists and more.

Lots of books were requested for including the obvious like WWBN 32 which we didn't have.

Sales included (everything in high grade)

JIM 98 & 103

Swamp Thing 37

Iron Man 1

Cap 100

Shazam first Isis # 25 (sold both)

FF #112

Thor #126

Sonic # 0 - 2

early Harley Quinn's

early Turtles

Breaking it down and moving out went much better partially due to plenty of lighting and air conditioning which were lacking on Thursday and Friday morn. Getting back home at 2 am was tough. I am drained today. I guess Greggy was right...I'm old.

BEST CON EVER! Brian's books overwhelmed me but I was a happy man when I walked out with my prizes on Sunday. My body is still processing the protein overload from Saturday night's gluttony fest. It seemed like half the people on the floor were boardies. Brian's booth and George Perez were the highlights of the con for me. I saw George Perez spontaneously jump up from his booth and kiss a young lady, who was witnessing from Desert Wind, on the mouth. She turned bright red. He also signed and sketched for hours, even canceling a panel to take care of his line. I didn't see Brian kiss anyone but I think I saw him kiss a CGC slab that he got back from on site grading. (shrug)

Between Ed and Brian I'm surprised there were any books left on the floor. Every time I came back to the room, Ed would be like "I didn't buy much..." And I realized that my focus on quantity was far surpassed by his focus on quality.

Why give a discount to dealers?
some folks wholesale, some folks retail...brian mentioned he only did one show a year....pretty much leaves wholesale as the easiest avenue to move books

So where are the guys wholesaling getting their books from? You must have to buy them pretty cheap.

Not necessarily. You buy a book for $500 and sell it for $600. With keys, you can turn them over really quickly, so they're easy money.

The books you buy cheap are the filler.