• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how do you handle a book that gets damaged before you receive it?

11 posts in this topic

I recently bought a book that was listed as NM, it had great looking scans and everything seemed to be fine. The package arrived today and looked perfect, it was in a bubble envelope, then a cardboard mailer, then bubble wrapped, then two more pieces of cardboard around the books. There was no way these books got damaged while in the mail, they were bulletproof. The problem is that when I opened the package, the book had a blunted corner, like it had been dropped on that corner, the backing board was rolled and there is now a crease on that corner, non-color breaking. It could be pressed out and be back to being NM, but with that ding, I don't know if it is. What do I do? The seller obviously went to town on the packing and making sure it got here on time - maybe he dropped it after scanning?

I'm lost with what to do, anyone else handle this kind of thing before?

ps it wasn't an eBay deal

Maybe ask the Seller?

I mean, I don't even know if I want to be that guy. For what? a 10% refund? I don't collect to nickle and dime people to death. It just really sucks that it happened, especially when he knew how to package the book so well. Who knows, maybe I'm a sucker.

There's a tactful way to handle w/out being that guy. If it's a $5 book, I personally would just move on. If it's a $200 book, I'd ask the question and not in an accusatory way. Partial refunds for me, as a Seller, are not cool. I'd give 100% refund and take the book back.

A bubble envelope is not "bullet proof packaging" because even with cardboard, impact damage can and will occur.

As for what to do, it depends on how much you paid and if it's worth it for you to return the book. Either way, the seller is still responsible for the damage that occurred in transit.

A bubble envelope is not "bullet proof packaging" because even with cardboard, impact damage can and will occur.

As for what to do, it depends on how much you paid and if it's worth it for you to return the book. Either way, the seller is still responsible for the damage that occurred in transit.

It had 3 layers of cardboard taped down and another layer of bubble wrap in the envelope, the damage had nothing to do with how it was packaged or mailed. The book was $50 and I have no intention on returning it, I'm wondering how other people handle this kind of thing. I'm guessing most people would auto return a book that came in with a non-color breaking corner ding.

You should re-read what the OP wrote.

The damage could still have occurred in shipping. All you need is a corner in close proximity to a hard surface. Just add impact to cause the kind of damage described.

Either way, whether it occurred in shipping or not is almost irrelevant to situation. I'd definitely bring it to the seller's attention. Maybe ask for the cost of a press if that will fix it up?

It had 3 layers of cardboard taped down and another layer of bubble wrap in the envelope, the damage had nothing to do with how it was packaged or mailed. The book was $50 and I have no intention on returning it, I'm wondering how other people handle this kind of thing. I'm guessing most people would auto return a book that came in with a non-color breaking corner ding.

ask for a full refund and return it or do nothing. you're either happy with it or you're not.

The package arrived today and looked perfect, it was in a bubble envelope, then a cardboard mailer, then bubble wrapped, then two more pieces of cardboard around the books. There was no way these books got damaged while in the mail, they were bulletproof.

A hard, jarring drop might not damage the package but could shift the book hard enough inside to cause the ding. It's a little like SCS, but can also happen to raw books, especially ones in loose bags/boards that are taped to cardboard backers but are not snug inside the bag. 2c

As for what to do, I agree with KPR. If it's a cheap book, shrug it off if you don't want to ask the seller. If it's a $200 book, I'd bring it to his attention.

Sounds to me that the item was sent out in the same condition. If you don't like the item you can ask for compensation or send back the item at your expense. Some people see a grade differently than yourself. To them, that is the advertised condition.

More often than not, I voice my disapproval and do not follow a recourse. Usually, the cost of returning a book is as much as the book itself. Some are nice enough to offer compensation for a book you feel is over graded, others will refund for a damaged book. However, I was forever denied from buying from a seller when he gave me a refund,even when I offered to send the damaged book back as proof, at my expense.

I only ever left a non-positive eBay feedback once when a dealer advertised a modern book as 9.8 and had a bend from handling. I tried to contact the dealer beforehand and left my FB after which he lost his cool at me.

I don't think some sellers understand that you are purchasing as a collectible, and not necessarily for reading. Honestly, you expect to have some bad experiences but for the most part you will be pleasantly surprised.