• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping to Canada

28 posts in this topic

Hey guys - I had a quick question, and I'm figuring someone here has a better knowledge of shipping to Canada than I do, because I've never done it before. I'm in NYC and just sold 2 slabs, approximately $750 value, on ebay to buyer in Canada. Any suggestions on the best way to ship these, i.e., flat rate, priority mail, etc.? Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks!

And don't fib on the custom's forms.
We pay customs on parcels, some people think they're doing you a favour by not putting the full value on the customs forms, they ain't.

I'd much rather pay the customs and have the parcel insured for its actual value.

A couple things,

1.) Many people have voodoo beliefs about shipping to Canada, dont believe the fiction

2.) If you ship courier (UPS, FedEx etc), they add their own invented "Broker" fee for bringing it across the border. USPS is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. They don't tack on extra broker fees.

3.) Your books are valuable, so shipping priority makes sense, and not lying on the customs forms is important so the books can be insured for full value.

4.) A lot of US shippers get all worked up about having to have wire to wire tracking, and force the highest possible shipping on their Canadian customers, which is double or more the standard options .You can ship USPS 1st class air mail, have a tracking number, and delivery confirmation, at a fraction of the cost of the higher up stuff. The only difference is during delivery the tracking number will say, "crossed the border", "delivered" and nothing in between. There is still a tracking number, and options should the package fail to be delivered, but the majority of US shippers dont get it.

For less expensive books, even single slabs, and certainly raws...its the best way to go.

Flat Rate boxes are the next best option, and Priority should only be used for high value items.

my opinions/experiences with comics of all values, from all parts of the US, raw and slabbed.

on ebay can't you just do the ebay world wide and send it to Kentucky/Tenn or whatever?

A more in-depth look at this would be worthwhile. I ship a lot of packages including packages to Canada and the UK.

Priority Mail International has a maximum insured value to Canada of $675. A three pound package insured for the maximum to Canada would cost about $41

Priority Mail Express International has a maximum insured value to Canada of $5000. A three pound package insured for $750 would cost about $47

First Class International Package is a service to keep one's eye on as far as shipping. It is the cheapest for packages that weigh up to it's limit of 4lbs. By itself, it cannot be insured but is tracked. If you are shipping to someone you know and trust or if the items are not worth much this is the cheapest - a 3 lb package to Canada is $18.50. But First Class International is also a good - really the only - choice for 2-3 books that are VERY expensive. Because for $13.65, you can add REGISTERED mail service to First Class International. This allows you to purchase insurance at the registered mail prices and limits. Which is to say inexpensively and a maximum limit of $25K. In the case of books in question, a 3 lb package sent First Class International, Registered and insured for $750 is going to cost the least - about $35 - and be the most secure.

It is worth noting that all registered mail - domestic or international - has to be done in person at a Post office branch. You cannot prepare it at home and hand it to the postal carrier that delivers the mail to your house. All edges have to be sealed with brown paper tape (PO will have a roll that they will let you use) that is then hand stamped all along those edges by the postal clerk.

Balancing convenience and risk, if I were shipping the books in question I'd probably use Priority Mail International insured for the maximum of $675. The cost is about $6 more and it saves me a trip to the post office as I can do the postage/mailing label online and hand it to my mail carrier when she drives by. But if you go to the PO to mail your packages, First Class International registered is the least expensive, the most secure and gets insured for the full value. I guess it should be mentioned that like all registered mail, it is also the slowest. Probably looking at 10 days or so delivery.

If these two books in question were worth $7500, there wouldn't be any other viable option. It would be first class international registered and insured.

4.) A lot of US shippers get all worked up about having to have wire to wire tracking, and force the highest possible shipping on their Canadian customers, which is double or more the standard options .You can ship USPS 1st class air mail, have a tracking number, and delivery confirmation, at a fraction of the cost of the higher up stuff. The only difference is during delivery the tracking number will say, "crossed the border", "delivered" and nothing in between. There is still a tracking number, and options should the package fail to be delivered, but the majority of US shippers dont get it.

I have tracked incoming parcels (but forget which USPS service used/works on as it has been awhile) via the Canadapost tracking site. Inserting the USPS number there gave me the results inside Canada. Note that when using USPS PRI into Canada, Canada Post sticks an "Expreespost" service and number on it so it is kinda a "downgraded" service but it all works and have never had a shipping parcel go wayward.

2cents

I have tracked incoming parcels (but forget which USPS service used/works on as it has been awhile) via the Canadapost tracking site. Inserting the USPS number there gave me the results inside Canada. Note that when using USPS PRI into Canada, Canada Post sticks an "Expreespost" service and number on it so it is kinda a "downgraded" service but it all works and have never had a shipping parcel go wayward.

2cents

yup, I even picked one up from CP office with the USPS tracking number when the card(with the CP #) was lost once.

So a bit of a side question, but how do other folks up here in Canada deal with CGC returning books? I believe they only send via FedEx so does everyone just accept having to pay the broker fee?

Sadly yes, if that's added on. I wish CGC would just ship USPS personally. I wonder if they are picking FedEx because they insure packages better? If I were to put in my next order I would even tell CGC to explictly not send same-day service.

So a bit of a side question, but how do other folks up here in Canada deal with CGC returning books? I believe they only send via FedEx so does everyone just accept having to pay the broker fee?

Sadly yes, if that's added on. I wish CGC would just ship USPS personally. I wonder if they are picking FedEx because they insure packages better? If I were to put in my next order I would even tell CGC to explictly not send same-day service.

I live close enough to the border that I've had stuff shipped to the other side and gone down to pick it up. Saves the brokerage fee but haven't figured it out to whether it is enough of a savings or not.

Thought about trying a shipping company like Shipito. CGC sends it to them then they ship it up here with any carrier I specify. Might have to do a trial run see how it works.

Don't forget to include a little bottle of maple syrup.

It's like crack to Canadians.

I was of the understanding that you need to soak the entire package in maple syrup to even get it through customs. Is that wrong? My plan was to throw in a few complimentary hockey pucks, and the used blades from my old skates, for good measure. Don't know what else I can do for positive ebay feedback.