• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World's Largest comic collection?

64 posts in this topic

I went to a guys house who had an entire basement full of comics, I couldn't even begin to guess how many. His dad bought out a old dealer at a flee market in the mid 70's. he showed me at least a complete run of almost any book I wanted to see. It was crazy. Only problem was that most of it was low grade, again, flee market stuff. But still , unbelievable. His collection would have put this one to shame. He sold alot of it in the early 90's when comics were crazy. I am sure I will never see something like that again. I don't know how many I have, it takes up about 35 short boxes if i had to guess.

I have sold quite a few books to Bob. He has put a lot of time into sourcing books he does not have. Just to have a list of 94.000 different issues is impressive. At one time I had over 350,000 comics but the record is for different issues, not 1000s of the same book. I contend it is much harder than some of you are making it out to be, but go for it. You could be in the Guinness Book of Records, even if only for a short time.

I'd be really curious who has the largest collection of this type on the boards.

I know it's not me.

Ian levine?

How many DCs is a complete collection?

Didn't he disown the board once his collection was complete?

I'd be really curious who has the largest collection of this type on the boards.

I know it's not me.

Ian levine?

That was when DC started everything from # 1 again.

. I contend it is much harder than some of you are making it out to be

hm

I suspect he's right. You'd pluck the low hanging fruit, get to 50-60K, and then have to grind it out.

Traitor.

lol

I have just about everything that was published during the 1980's. Most of the stuff published during the 70's and 90's.

If I cared, I'd take up the challenge. Maybe when I get everything in order.

I know it's not me.

Ian levine?

Only 26 DC comics to go! lol

hm

I suspect he's right. You'd pluck the low hanging fruit, get to 50-60K, and then have to grind it out.

Traitor.

lol

I have just about everything that was published during the 1980's. Most of the stuff published during the 70's and 90's.

It'd be a tough challenge.

If I have a quiet shift at work, I'll take a run at guesstimating where the hard work would begin by adding up some of the larger mainstream title runs post 1970...

I'm happy to say that Bob is a friend of mine and I've seen this collection in person. It's amazing in both it's breadth and how well organized and curated it all is. He can find you any book in the collection pretty quickly.

He's posted the entire interview he did with Guinness along with answers to questions coming as comments on various sites over at Comic Spectrum.

http://comicspectrumblog.wordpress.com/2014/09/10/interview-2015-guinness-world-record-largest-collection-of-comic-books/

hm

Traitor.

lol

It'd be a tough challenge.

If I have a quiet shift at work, I'll take a run at guesstimating where the hard work would begin by adding up some of the larger mainstream title runs post 1970...

You've got a thousand in just mainline X-Titles...

X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Factor, New Mutants, X-Force..

That's over 1,000 right there. Well over, I believe.

With ancillary X-Titles, annuals, specials, one-shots, Wolverine, Excalibur, the number is well over 2,000.

With Action, you have 600 different books since 1963. Add in Superman, that number swells to 1200.

Valiant published over 600 books from 1991-1996, and they are all, except for variants, dirt cheap...even the formerly glorious Harbinger #1 and Solar #10.

Archie has published several thousand books since 1970.

With respect to your friend, judging from the picture, sounds like a fire hazard, hoarding problem waiting to happen. I see stacks and piles all over the place.

Why would one want to pursue this?

I once was pretty close to having every 12 cent to 25 cent Marvel ever published. Then I sat down and thought about the thousands of dollars I'd wasted on books I didn't care about, and the thousands more needed to complete a challenge no one but myself cared about. That month, I sold a few hundred of them and started upgrading books I really cared about. Not having a run of Night Nurse or Millie the Model hasn't hurt me one iota.

I collect books I like, not books I can brag about.

I'll never have the largest, bestest or neatest collection. I can live with that.

Cool collection and attitude towards collecting. He clearly has the space and organization skills to make a collection of this size work. I would be overwhelmed so could not pull this off but I would definitely want to visit his collection and see the comics and how he organizes.

I know it's not me.

Ian levine?

He had a sweet FDQ when DC started the New 52 with Action 1. He felt it was a personal assault!! lol