• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Water flooded whole condo..

27 posts in this topic

Woke up to the sound of running water at 6am this morning. After calling water evac company to remove approx 1 inch of water out of 900sqft where my comics were sitting on the floor.

I was looking at different ways of filing and sitting my comics and didn't buy the bookcase and wanted to wait. Well after the water removed and cleaning up, I decided to check the comics. Mostly are modern slabs from the 90's. Mid number runs of ASM and uxm. About 20 or so slabs have water condensation and the others were protected by the Mylar bags they were in as well as the hotflips box prevented some water to enter.

A few of my raws were totally destroyed.

:(

So has anybody here had issues with water date and insurance claims.

I do have condo insurance but don't have collectible insurance as my comics aren't highly expensive. I don't own AF15 or any book over $1k. Soy homeowners insurance would probably cover this personal property.

What I am also worried about is since the condo is drying at the moment, I'm worried about the humidity damaging slabs and other raws.

I have to prevent any further damage or additional damage.

Do you have any friends that you could ask to store them while your place is drying out?

In 1999, Hurricane Floyd left 6 feet of water in my apartment. I saved my Gold and Silver, but lost around 30 long boxes of stuff from the 70s to (the then) present.

It was devastating. I feel your pain.

What I am also worried about is since the condo is drying at the moment, I'm worried about the humidity damaging slabs and other raws.

I have to prevent any further damage or additional damage.

Do you have any friends that you could ask to store them while your place is drying out?

transferring them to my detached garage.

The limit is normally $2000 coverage on a claim like that without separate collectibles coverage.

I looked at my declaration page of my insurance and it doesn't state anything about collectibles. It does state anything beyond $500 they won't pay for replacement cost only FMV cost.

Only see stamps, metals and other stuff but nothing stating on books, comics or the like.

man that's horrible. I feel bad for you :(

That Strange Tales 97 I bought from you still safe high up on my desk :D

What sucks is I have to spend more money to get things fix due to the flood and I'm leaving for Europe this Thursday too. I guess it's also a blessing as this happened prior to me leaving.

Had a spontaneous cable burst a few years ago, and I was sitting in bed with my wife wondering what that noise was all night -- until we opened the doors to look -- at 2 inches of water almost everywhere. Learned not to avoid those sounds anymore. :cry:

Anyways, you can hire people to come suck all the water out and run fans all day and night (industrial).

You may want to run to Home Depot and pick up a couple of Dehumidifiers and have them BOTH running high for a week. You do not want to have mold starting to grow behind and under things. I would probably keep your books in the same room and keep dumping out the bucket. I had a small leak in my bathroom and it created havoc and 8k in damage from mold and that's with me doing as much work as I could to assist. You want everything bone dry if there is anything that can hold water in the soaked area.

I forgot to mention the fans. You can get the turbine type ones at Home Depot too. Bleach is an oxidizer and works well on mold or even to spray on wet areas before mold forms. There is nothing more destructive to a house than water.

Yeah, if your water remediation people didn't leave fans and humidifiers running you may want to call a different company and talk to them about it. We recently had our water softener flood our house and had to have 5 or 6 industrial fans and 2 huge dehumidifiers run 24/7 for 2 weeks straight before the sub-floors dried out enough to lay down new flooring.

Yeah, if your water remediation people didn't leave fans and humidifiers running you may want to call a different company and talk to them about it. We recently had our water softener flood our house and had to have 5 or 6 industrial fans and 2 huge dehumidifiers run 24/7 for 2 weeks straight before the sub-floors dried out enough to lay down new flooring.

Another thing to add - I thought everything was sufficiently dry, but when the people came to lay new floors out, they advised me that there was still humidity in the concrete and refused to lay new flooring until it was sufficiently moisture free/dry. More fans were run for a long while with the floor torn out.

They have moisture testers to test the concrete.

If the house is submerged in water, best to have professionals come with giant-sized wet dry vacs operating out of van and let them test for all that. Sooner, obviously, the better, before mold can grow.

Thanks everybody on the tips.

The restoration people left 5 industrial size fan and 1 huge dehumidifier. Been running since they removed the half inch of water.

The condo I'm renting is 832sqft and has polished concrete flooring so that helps a bit but the dry wall and base board is my concern. The restoration people coming by tomorrow to run some test to see if the walls are drying.

Really sucks as I recently moved to Oregon from Seattle for a job relocation and almost settled in and will leaving on vacation and this happens :(

I filed a claim with my insurance and the owner of the condo filed his as well. The other issue is I'm on the 2nd floor and the bottom (1st floor) is a home furnishing business and the water has leaked through their ceiling and damaged approx $5k with of furniture as well as their hardwood floor. The water sat for about 5 hours before they opened for business.