• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark's Jewels list?

80 posts in this topic

I think the point of the other boardies in the other thread is that it is difficult (if not impossible) to un-bend the legs of staples and then poke the little tiny staple prongs through all of the little tiny staple holes of the insert and then bend the legs back to their original kinks without it being noticeable. If CGC can (allegedly) detect "micro trimming" on books, I feel more than confident that they can tell whether or not the very things that hold the book together have been compromised. That really is pretty basic stuff. (thumbs u

-J.

This assumes that CGC gives the same scrutiny to a Thor #347 that they do a JIM #83....

and that they actually can consistently detect trimming...

Does CGC even consider disassembly (and reassembly) to be restoration? I thought they didn't, as established in the pressing debates here years ago (this was before pressing became ubiquitous, for you newbies).

I think the point of the other boardies in the other thread is that it is difficult (if not impossible) to un-bend the legs of staples and then poke the little tiny staple prongs through all of the little tiny staple holes of the insert and then bend the legs back to their original kinks without it being noticeable. If CGC can (allegedly) detect "micro trimming" on books, I feel more than confident that they can tell whether or not the very things that hold the book together have been compromised. That really is pretty basic stuff. (thumbs u

-J.

This assumes that CGC gives the same scrutiny to a Thor #347 that they do a JIM #83....

Does CGC even consider disassembly (and reassembly) to be restoration? I thought they didn't, as established in the pressing debates here years ago (this was before pressing became ubiquitous, for you newbies).

I'm not sure whether policy has changed on that. My only point is that they could very likely (and easily) spot an insert that was married to a book, in a similar manner that they can spot other married comic book parts. (thumbs u

-J.

probably missed a couple - but out of 150 or so arcies - found 6

pep 266

betty and veronica 198 and 196 (198 has staining)

archies joke book 171 173 176

all are national diamond - and the cover style material (not the stiffer booard type)

8f57d9f5cc860ebcb35b1744fee2c1aa.jpg

c806c87affa5d7e02c2ccecaced9ce81.jpg

gold keys

adc646e4bcc2e06e4e4262185c136d41.jpg

i did have a couple of dels from the right timeline - but did not see one yet

same with charlton - did not see any but I do not think there were that many to start

pep 266

all are national diamond - and the cover style material (not the stiffer booard type)

gold keys

same with charlton - did not see any but I do not think there were that many to start

I always love seeing those NDS lingerie ads. Thanks for posting these, great find. That IM 55 definitely takes the cake though. :cloud9:

-J.

pep 266

gold keys

I always love seeing those NDS lingerie ads. Thanks for posting these, great find. That IM 55 definitely takes the cake though. :cloud9:

-J.

oh yeah --

already shipped to ccs/cgc -- will be interesting to see final grade on that one......

---

the collecting has a bunch of them - looks like he stopped collecting (or the collection) - about 1-2 years after the inserts began. I think the oldest book was around 74 - but every main series has an insert or two - BATB, superman, batman, war books (bunch of them - marvel and DC) , justice league, thor, DD, DC horror, TEC, amazing adventures, ASM, x-men -

none of the blue stars - but I will take it.

-J.

I'm not sure whether policy has changed on that. My only point is that they could very likely (and easily) spot an insert that was married to a book, in a similar manner that they can spot other married comic book parts. (thumbs u

-J.

As stated before...it's not the same thing. Could they "very likely (and easily)" spot an insert that was married on an otherwise 9.8 Avengers #179?

Sure.

Could they do it on an otherwise 6.5 Hulk #181....?

Not so much.

I was going to say that Gold Key has them as I have had several... I have never seen a Charlton, Atlas/Seaboard, Skywald, Harvey or Archie (until now). It will be interesting to actually see an Archie with it though.

I'm 99% positive Atlas/Seaboard had them. I suspect Charlton did not, because they were printed in Connecticut at their own printing plant, rather than Sparta.

Harvey is hard to say...I believe they were printed in Sparta, and they were popular enough that they would have seen distribution on military bases...but Harveys in general are not collected with the same amount of intensity as Marvels and DCs, so any such issues that existed may have long been tossed.

Skywald's comic output (someone correct me if I'm wrong) was both just before the NDS inserts began, and was limited to square bounds, and unless I'm totally off my rocker, there are no inserts in any of the squarebounds.

I have a Marvel Spotlight #5 with insert.Was sold to me here,the seller did not know what the cardboard and extra staple was.Neither did I for some time.

Does anyone have a Charlton with an insert?I'd love to see it if anyone does.

The collection I scored had some Charlton and of course the standard smattering of gold key and dell--- I will see if any of them line up with the right timeframe - and if they have the inserts. I do not remember any - but I usually look through those last so chances are I did not ckeck at all.

I hope you find some...that brings up the query if Dell or GoldKey had any... hm

Alright - my job sorting this collection just got a lot more interesting -

have not found dells yet (meaning not found any to look at)

Gold Key = YES - found 2 grims ghost stories - and one "dagar the invincable" -

Archies............................

:banana:

yea buddy - again not really looked too hard yet - but PEP 266 has a marks insert - 1972 - it is one of the newer "cover gloss stock" ones (not the cardboard) -

I will post some pics later tonight - gotta hunt more down.....

Thank is is very cool and exciting....

-J.

-J.

As stated before...it's not the same thing. Could they "very likely (and easily)" spot an insert that was married on an otherwise 9.8 Avengers #179?

Sure.

Not so much.

I haven't seen an NDS insert un-slabbed in a while. Looking at those pics reminds me again how integral the inserts really are to the books. Something tells me the folks at CGC would beg to differ with you on that point. hm

-J.

I was going to say that Gold Key has them as I have had several... I have never seen a Charlton, Atlas/Seaboard, Skywald, Harvey or Archie (until now). It will be interesting to actually see an Archie with it though.

I'm 99% positive Atlas/Seaboard had them. I suspect Charlton did not, because they were printed in Connecticut at their own printing plant, rather than Sparta.

Harvey is hard to say...I believe they were printed in Sparta, and they were popular enough that they would have seen distribution on military bases...but Harveys in general are not collected with the same amount of intensity as Marvels and DCs, so any such issues that existed may have long been tossed.

Skywald's comic output (someone correct me if I'm wrong) was both just before the NDS inserts began, and was limited to square bounds, and unless I'm totally off my rocker, there are no inserts in any of the squarebounds.

I think you are right on the Skywalds all being squarebounds and all the comic issues came out before 1972... I confused them with the magazines that went on until the mid-seventies.

I hope you are right on the Atlas/Seaboards but I have never heard of one.

-J.

-J.

Sure.

Not so much.

I haven't seen an NDS insert un-slabbed in a while. Looking at those pics reminds me again how integral the inserts really are to the books. Something tells me the folks at CGC would beg to differ with you on that point. hm

-J.

Only if they were aware of it, and looking for it. Otherwise, not so much.

More ASM

dueling 109s

cdee7fb67d9471e28f20ce990f3bbacf.jpg

f0168445bfdc93a2456c3a4c14487363.jpg

and more......

37bd408c75fe162d1b3bb3a01955285c.jpg

7a8d34206bcf78845749402e9f00422d.jpg

92b292245092cdad0851d3224cf001f2.jpg

2125efc2b61e8d25572a4ca0e8b9bdc5.jpg

317c079902c80261afd8458a2b636ee5.jpg

50cf497bec017ad18a4416c078eea2df.jpg

74840b5af3d7c57cbfb4d0dcd106b17c.jpg

bc87bf56178bc81f2e3a41f4bde77907.jpg

also have

X Men 78, 80, 83,

Action 423, 425

Superman 266

Avengers 108

Thor 204, 205, 207, 209, 210

Daredevil 93, 94, 96 and 98

These book are awesome ! That ASM 97 above in particular.

I can't believe how many of his books he left the inserts in. Did he say where he was stationed when he bought these ?

-J.

Loads more still -

I got the lot (around 1000 silver to bronze) from a team that bought a large chunk of an estate - so not too much history other than they told be he was in the service. Some of the gold key were subscriptions - I will see if the address is near a base.

Since people seem interested - I will snag more pics today - some of the hulks are real cool (first wendigo) and there are a ton of war books.

Anyone ever snag a double cover with insert?Just thought of that because my first Wendigo is a double cover.Love to see an ASM 121 with insert, my fave BA Spidey...

Almost positive 121 doesn't exist. I do have a double insert on an Iron Man 54 (missed it by one) Anyone else ever find that error? I can post pics if anyone is interested.