• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark's Jewels list?

80 posts in this topic

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4778161&fpart=1

To add to the locations, you could possibly look for large Navy installations of servicemen coming home. This is discussed in the Bronze age forum on the topic, but while not as big or country club opulent as Air Force or Army bases in both Germany and Northern Italy, there were Navy bases in Sigonella, Naples, Gaeta (along with a very small submarine service base in Sardegna), and not to mention Nato assets that had Americans forces, and all the books I bought for several years had the inserts. A lot of these servicemen would have relocated to Norfolk, Hawaii, San Diego, or installations like Camp Lejune in North Carolina, very large Marine bases that still employed a lot of Navy personnel. While not large in number, Marines also provided security at Navy installations (as they did on Naval Ships and Consulants).

As I said in the other thread, while obviously talking about a very small group of people at a very specific time, kids in my elementary school, and even high school kids used to ritually tear these inserts out of their comics, for reasons that seemed normal then but I can't really recall why now (probably for no other reason that just seeing each other do it).

Al lot of notes I see - is that the inserts made the book more difficult to read - so many were torn out for that reason.

I was guilty of that. They just seemed to get in the way.

Does anyone have a Charlton with an insert?I'd love to see it if anyone does.

I recall some Charlton comics had the Mark Jewelers ads that were actually part of the comic (regular ads) and not inserts. I'll need to look thru my collection and see if I can find some examples.

Anyone ever snag a double cover with insert?Just thought of that because my first Wendigo is a double cover.Love to see an ASM 121 with insert, my fave BA Spidey...

Almost positive 121 doesn't exist. I do have a double insert on an Iron Man 54 (missed it by one) Anyone else ever find that error? I can post pics if anyone is interested.

Yes please!

Anyone ever snag a double cover with insert?Just thought of that because my first Wendigo is a double cover.Love to see an ASM 121 with insert, my fave BA Spidey...

:) I got this one.

100b.jpg

and this one also has the Mark Jewelers Insert.

315.jpg

:o:headbang:

- some marvel tales - all but one with diamond (one marks) -

37, 38, 39, 41, 42

Ignore 43 -

0e309067d3c684214fb91a33d24277f6.jpg

9b2a11642b243fcdc2bb294361d2d82a.jpg

For the most part - I will post pics of the covers of the books I find in the collection - unless the insert is different.

Sub Mariner - lots of these -

48, 51, 55-60, 63, 64

e7a5bc0057eb79fab2c7ec43bdabdd1d.jpg

3408f9ae1c668c1ee1e893beca3f93cf.jpg

cfffc4478a6f05cbb4dbac281d1fed37.jpg

one different front to the insert -

Maybe the reason why you don't find Mark Jeweler inserts in Charlton comics is because the ads were printed in the comic. I'm still searching for Mark Jeweler ads in Charltons, but here are a couple of other jewelry company ads.

This Military Diamonds Sales ad was found in the inside front cover of comics dated July, 1970

militarydiamondsales_zps04dcb7c5.jpg

BTW, these comics also had the infamous inflatable doll ad

infldollad_zps1871c61b.jpg

Here's a Jewelry Sales Co. ad found on the back cover of comics cover dated may, 1976

jewelrysalesco_zpsc2a442d9.jpg

Almost positive 121 doesn't exist. I do have a double insert on an Iron Man 54 (missed it by one) Anyone else ever find that error? I can post pics if anyone is interested.

:baiting: Not quite a ASM #121 but close. :grin:

hm Hey Jeff where did you get that double Insert one? reason I ask is I had a guy on ebay offer to sell me one a while back with a double insert but I don't remember what the book was, just curious if it might be the same one.

MT98amp99a.jpg

MT98amp99b.jpg

MT98amp99c.jpg

hm Hey Jeff where did you get that double Insert one? reason I ask is I had a guy on ebay offer to sell me one a while back with a double insert but I don't remember what the book was, just curious if it might be the same one.

Hey Terry, I honestly don't remember where it came from. I did buy a collection from a guy who grew up on the base in Germany years ago and 80% of those books had an insert. Most likely from that stash as I've owned it for at least 10 years. Its an Iron Man 54.

I have literally 3000+ of the insert comics...alot of Mildenhall copies. Was a collecting focus for a number of years.

As has been mentioned previously, Archies and GK had the inserts for about two years in the early 70s. Never seen a Charlton or Atlas with the insert. Same with Dell or Harvey but they weren't in my collecting focus.

ASM #121 had the insert.

They were distributed in Japan.

DC stopped having the insert in 1987. Marvel continued until 1991.

Jim

I have more than 400 jeweler inserts in Batman, Detective, Superman, Action, Justice League, and a few other DC comic books. Inserts started in issues dated Aug 1972 and last appeared in July 1986. Except for square bound and giant sized issues, I believe the insert appeared in all issues.

Following is a link to a post I wrote about the subject.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6955345

I'm always looking to buy more jewelers in Batman, TEC, Superman, and Action comics. If you have any to sell, feel free to send me PM.

regards,

Kirk

hm I just found a picture on ebay of a #121 with the star stamp could this be one?

$_57.JPG

hm I just found a picture on ebay of a #121 with the star stamp could this be one?

It is. (thumbs u