• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB RAW Pedigrees............

63 posts in this topic

No charge asswhole, but I would love to know how much of this biatch session you've discussed directly with Doug. Or are you just happy to whine about it in public without the realization of how petty you appear? You obviously have no constructive agenda here. Unless it's to totally shrink whatever remaining stature you have in the collecting community. I think it's great you're blaming all your personal business woes on one individual. Brilliant.

Invite Doug here. Let's hear the other side of the story. Or maybe he's just too classy to deal with an insufficiently_thoughtful_person like you. screwy.gif

(I have to assume we are not talking about New Mutants/Alpha Flight/Dazzler here

893naughty-thumb.gif I can stand only so many potshots at my Darthdiesel Pedigree-In-The-Making, Old Man! You are now off the potential buyers list for my minty fresh HYPED Dazzlers... flowerred.gif

I like Doug. I like Bob. Bob speaks his mind when it comes to things relating to statements on the hobby. I really doubt this is a "personal vendetta" against Doug, just his perspective as to what he feels is problematic about particular buying patterns. It pushes things into a stratospheric category.

I would not pay the prices Doug pays for his books, but the one thing I credit Doug with is that the guy genuinely loves the hobby. It's not speculation at all.

And I don't think it's sour grapes from Bob at all... the guy speaks his mind. Don't you wish all dealers had this kind of honesty? I sure do.

"I for one have always agreed with Joe Vernault that most (Not all) Silver age pedigrees are HYPE (Hope you pay enough) versus true pedigrees."

893applaud-thumb.gif

"all the post 66 stuff doesn't a pedigree make."

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

[On Curators] "When you see white pages the only other collection that rivals this is the Spokane collection."

screwy.gif S-A-L-I-D-A. smile.gif

Alan

I apologize for my zeal on the Curators and Spokane's but I had the pleasure of seeing many of them. I saw almost all of the Spokane collection and a lot of the curators, I didn't see many salida's.

And by the way I was only going on my personal Pedigree opinion. I'm really not claiming to be the expert but from what I've seen, sold, and bought my Real Deal/Borderline/Hype list was my opinion

I apologize for my zeal on the Curators and Spokane's but I had the pleasure of seeing many of them. I saw almost all of the Spokane collection and a lot of the curators, I didn't see many salida's.

No apologies necessary, Bob. It's just that when someone says "white pages" and the sentence doesn't contain "Salida," I get a bit testy. smile.gif

And in all fairness, I have yet to see a Curator ... and the only Spokanes I've seen are the ones that Metro have (presumably) had mouldering away since the initial purchase. With regard to the latter ... I was highly unimpressed on the page quality. frown.gif

And by the way I was only going on my personal Pedigree opinion. I'm really not claiming to be the expert but from what I've seen, sold, and bought my Real Deal/Borderline/Hype list was my opinion

Heck, isn't our own "personal pedigree opinion" what we're all working with here? smile.gif I don't think there is a true pedigree "expert" out there yet ... and so long as those with all of the knowledge or the contacts to obtain the knowledge have primary businesses to run (dealing comics, performing restoration, etc.), I don't think there will ever be one.

Alan

Well I believe we were discussing "Silver Age" pedigrees though technically I believe the Spokane was kind of Golden/Atomic Age/Silver?.

You are absolutely right when it comes to Golden Age pedigrees, nobody sells me them therefore I can very rarely comment on them.

To me the significant part of the 9000 book collection is missing, ie FF #1 - 75, AS #1-100, JIM #83-110, TOS #39 - 75, X-Men #1-66, having Sgt Fury #1 up, DD #1 up, all the post 66 stuff doesn't a pedigree make.

OK - that hurts I admit. The extensiveness of the main runs missing give me pause as well. frown.gif

Thanks for responding to the "which pedigrees are the real deal". I pretty much agree 100% with you. I don't (and CGC doesn't) think that collections are pedigrees.

You didn't discuss Western Penn, Oakland or Green River (as these are three other highly available / known pedigrees). I probably put the Western Penn in the Real Deal and the Oakland and Green River in the Borderline category.

Didn't think of them when I wrote my initial response. I agree with Western Penn though there are two parts of it, a Silver part and a Bronze. There have also been some disputes from a collector who owned some Western Penn's that I believe CGC would not certify as being Western Penns.

The Oakland collection was awesome, I helped grade it with Vinny and Mike. It fits the Original owner and high grade rule but didn't have the depth of pre-65 stuff that I would normally associate with a pedigree. Still a great collection and one I had a lot of fun grading.

Green River - It's probably borderline only because I don't know of any clearly defined original list.

thanks, I remember a dealer having quite a few but it wasn't John Hauser. He was actually one of the earliest powersellers and even was peddling a selling guide on how to make money on ebay. Anybody out there remember him?

What's interesting is that I have 3 Thor Green Rivers that should be graded in a couple of days that are not on this list.

Neat thing about Green River is that it has a story that doesn't start with:

"Some random guy, long dead,"

middle with:

"really liked comics"

and end with:

"and kept good care of them."

Course, one may not care about the story, one may not project "coolness" onto a collection of comics because of who owned it or under what conditions it entered the market. One may just care about how nice a comic he is looking at is. Valid. After all, 99.99% of comics have no memorable story. Its easy to not care.

I would love scans of them for the database when you get them back, if it isn't too much trouble. I'll pm you. Of the ones on the list...there are several hundred, maybe as many as 800, that were presumed to have been sold individually by the brothers before Haack and Hauser made their initial purchase of the collection. This is just going on what I know.

Brad

(I have to assume we are not talking about New Mutants/Alpha Flight/Dazzler here

893naughty-thumb.gif I can stand only so many potshots at my Darthdiesel Pedigree-In-The-Making, Old Man! You are now off the potential buyers list for my minty fresh HYPED Dazzlers... flowerred.gif

Oh my - it was a mistake born of the many years I have oozed over the earth. I MEANT to say "I have to assume we are not talking about New Mutants/Alpha Flight as opposed to Dazzler, here". Phew how just a few words can so change a meaning!

thanks, I remember a dealer having quite a few but it wasn't John Hauser. He was actually one of the earliest powersellers and even was peddling a selling guide on how to make money on ebay. Anybody out there remember him?

What's interesting is that I have 3 Thor Green Rivers that should be graded in a couple of days that are not on this list.

JAMES HAACK if WI is the mystery person you ask about...................