• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing Centerfold = 4.5 Universal?

39 posts in this topic

I'm thinking it was accidentally graded as though centrefold detached instead of missing. Or perhaps the label is in error. Missing cf =0.5 usually

Either that or it's supposed to be a GLOD 4.5. hm

so can we nail this down...I though GLOD was only for things like married covers and clipped coupons...I was under the assumption that any book missing whole pages including front or back covers got 0.5 Blue and incomplete? is this something you have to ask CGC for, whether or not you want the green or the blue? links acceptable as answers :)

Published by Simcoe ?

Simcoe Publishing is Canadian. Apparently, CGC failed to mention that the book is a Canadian edition, as well.

Following up on Sharon's point, Metro/CC really should pull this auction.

Published by Simcoe ?

Simcoe Publishing is Canadian. Apparently, CGC failed to mention that the book is a Canadian edition, as well.

Following up on Sharon's point, Metro/CC really should pull this auction.

I've sent Vincent an email and a link to this thread. (thumbs u

I'm thinking it was accidentally graded as though centrefold detached instead of missing. Or perhaps the label is in error. Missing cf =0.5 usually

so can we nail this down...I though GLOD was only for things like married covers and clipped coupons...I was under the assumption that any book missing whole pages including front or back covers got 0.5 Blue and incomplete? is this something you have to ask CGC for, whether or not you want the green or the blue? links acceptable as answers :)

Depends on the book and it's up to CGC's discretion unless the submitter states otherwise.

GLOD will take into account a major flaw and give the book an apparent grade.

For example, if you have an Action #1 and it's missing a page, which is more beneficial? A CGC 0.5 grade or an apparent grade with the large defect noted?

Personally, I think both should be noted on the label in this case but for practical purposes, the GLOD is much more informative than just a 0.5 grade because then you have a better idea of what the rest of the book looks like.

Depends on the book and it's up to CGC's discretion unless the submitter states otherwise.

GLOD will take into account a major flaw and give the book an apparent grade.

For example, if you have an Action #1 and it's missing a page, which is more beneficial? A CGC 0.5 grade or an apparent grade with the large defect noted?

Personally, I think both should be noted on the label in this case but for practical purposes, the GLOD is much more informative than just a 0.5 grade because then you have a better idea of what the rest of the book looks like.

great explanation!! good stuff thanks Roy (thumbs u

Got an email from Vin, they're going to look into it.

Looks like they are letting it run ....

Maybe, although he got back to me a few hours after I emailed him so I assume they're just busy with auction stuff. Also, if it's a consignment book they would need to get in touch with the owner first as well.

How can an old man who rarely buys certified comics have a better memory than you young actives? :preach:

The key visual being that the defects on the label are described in ALL CAPS, which is only for Qualified defects.

This book was intended to carry a Qualified (Green) Label -- although my personal preference would be to certify it as what it really is: 0.5 POOR (Incomplete).

How can an old man who rarely buys certified comics have a better memory than you young actives? :preach:

The key visual being that the defects on the label are described in ALL CAPS, which is only for Qualified defects.

This book was intended to carry a Qualified (Green) Label -- although my personal preference would be to certify it as what it really is: 0.5 POOR (Incomplete).

Not everyone considers POOR and INCOMPLETE to be synonymous. A rag missing a centerfold and a high grade appearing copy missing a centerfold are not the same thing. In cases like this I find Qualified grades ( or as they used to be referred to: "otherwise" grades) useful.

"Incomplete" and "poor" are definitely not synonymous (although books with missing pages/wraps are certainly a subset of the larger POOR category). Experienced collectors generally have no problem with qualified grading -- I also find qualified grades (with the qualifying defect clearly noted) useful. However, rookies often have great difficulty assessing the fair market value of a Green Label book. Although each of us must ultimately assume personal responsibility for our actions, I hate to see folks overpay out of ignorance rather than desire.

:foryou:

"Incomplete" and "poor" are definitely not synonymous (although books with missing pages/wraps are certainly a subset of the larger POOR category). Experienced collectors generally have no problem with qualified grading -- I also find qualified grades (with the qualifying defect clearly noted) useful. However, rookies often have great difficulty assessing the fair market value of a Green Label book. Although each of us must ultimately assume personal responsibility for our actions, I hate to see folks overpay out of ignorance rather than desire.

:foryou:

True, but I don't know that lumping them all in as "poor" makes it any easier to assess FMV. While the assessment of a green label book can be even more confusing than the various degrees of restoration/conservation to a novice collector, it does serve as a color coded signifier that one should have experience with or be willing to do a little research on the exact flaws noted to figure out a fair price. All the more reason why this particular Superman should be sent back for proper labeling, as blue CGC labels indicate a FMV based more on grade than specific defects.