• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More money than sense?

41 posts in this topic

Think of it this way: That's $6500 that now won't be competing with my dollars for something I actually want. ;)

Yes, I think this is the dumbest thing I've seen this month, but...I honestly wish everyone was spending their money on I couldn't care less about.

Could someone please translate this for me? I don't speak nonsense:

"imited to 3,000, they sold out quickly, and Greg’s limited edition of 10 sketched copies multiplies the rarity to an unprecedented level."

How exactly does one "multiply the rarity to an unprecedented level"?!?

10 of anything is still 10.

I wonder how much a comic book signed by Spanky would go for? hm:roflmao:

Well the rarity would be off the charts so action comics 1 ranges?? :screwy:

He passed away in 1993 so it could be something more modern. lol

WOW... That would be rare. Signed and sketched by dead Spanky. I bet Stan Lee will be charging $50 a pop for his signature from the grave too.

Just finished reading this thread and it really is unbelievable that someone would want to pay that much for a manufactured collectible. The only reason this book is rare is because people want to sell it for a lot of money. What's the betting that we will see the same spiel again come the next Marvel event? So it becomes a regular thing and the variant market for these burns out. Not knocking the artist, but somehow I don't think they would get that much for a sketch blank so people are paying a lot extra for the variant.

Would love to see one of these up for sale the day after they bring Wolverine back.

Seriously there must be people out there with tunnel vision that don't even know about AF15 or OA buying these.

I wonder if it's a sign that the comic book bubble is starting to grow exponentially. Or a ferver for anything "announced".

I half want to start a rumor about an upcoming Daredevil movie with the main villain being Stilt-man. And then watch Ebay for first appearances to blow-up.

The bid history has me scratching my head.

The winner has only 5 feedback? But they have a huge bid history, with repeated bids on the same items without the wins. And yet they can drop $6500 on a modern in $1,000 increments?

Interesting.

-T

The bid history has me scratching my head.

The winner has only 5 feedback? But they have a huge bid history, with repeated bids on the same items without the wins. And yet they can drop $6500 on a modern in $1,000 increments?

Interesting.

-T

Or he could just "change his mind" within an hour after the auction is over. That's eBay's new policy, right? I wonder if the sale will stand.

$6,500 for a Modern book is beyond ridiculous but the world's full of fools who do things like this on a daily basis.

I would've bought 9.8 key appearances with that cash or used it on a lower quality silver age key book.

As for Greg Horn, he's doing something other artists aren't doing (except for Neal Adams - at least as his store site). It's difficult to be an artists and make a living doing it. You're freelance and there's no benefits. Some do commissions on the side and do alright. Others do it full time and make a great living doing them -- John Byrne being an example. If an artist finds a way to game the system without hurting anyone -- good for them. It's not like he's making people buy the items. The buyers are just caught in the hype.

It's like when Todd McFarlane bought that baseball for crazy money when it's not worth that much considering the player didn't deserve the recognition they received since they juiced themselves up to be able to hit constant homeruns. McFarlane has to live with the fact that he spent that much money for a ball that wasn't earned honorably.

But that's just my 2c

Look, if someone is willing to spend $20-25K on a Strasburg or Bryce Harper Superfractor Auto (unproven entities at the time), then $6.5K on something like this does not surprise me.

Yes, this is definitely a case of more money than sense! But, if you got that kind of scratch and it doesn't hurt your wallet, then I say go for it

(still ridiculous)

Maybe Hulk44 bought it?

Paying 'only' 6.5 K isn't his style; Hulk44 would publicly announce that he would buy all Greg Horn SS Sketches before bidding, thus guaranteeing punishment bids driving the price up to 10k.

Seriously tho, I was told by a CGC witness a few years ago that there were CGC rules preventing creators from SS'ing and submitting their own books. I'm not big into the Sig series (mostly limited to actors signing books - like Star Trek :cloud9:) so I'm definitely vague on the nuances of the rules (I'm sure there's a thread about this, but I only stick reading a few threads). Anyone know the rules on creators subbing their own books?

Think of it this way: That's $6500 that now won't be competing with my dollars for something I actually want. ;)

Yes, I think this is the dumbest thing I've seen this month, but...I honestly wish everyone was spending their money on I couldn't care less about.

Could someone please translate this for me? I don't speak nonsense:

"imited to 3,000, they sold out quickly, and Greg’s limited edition of 10 sketched copies multiplies the rarity to an unprecedented level."

How exactly does one "multiply the rarity to an unprecedented level"?!?

10 of anything is still 10.

SLOW DOWN!!! My math isn't so good.....

So who's this wolverine guy anyway?

There are all sorts of problems with this auction:

1) This is a PRE-ORDER book. The image itself is photoshopped, so while the artist could be well-meaning, there's a lot of questions as to whether the item will be "as described."

2) The artist is guaranteeing a 9.8, which is not a guarantee for remarqued comics. Not that the grading matters as much on remarqued books, but if you're paying $6,500, as a buyer you're going in with high expectations, ones that I don't know the seller can deliver.

3) The auction describes a head sketch, but there's not even a picture of the head sketch???

Plenty of crazy here.

$6,500 for a Modern book is beyond ridiculous but the world's full of fools who do things like this on a daily basis.

I would've bought 9.8 key appearances with that cash or used it on a lower quality silver age key book.

As for Greg Horn, he's doing something other artists aren't doing (except for Neal Adams - at least as his store site). It's difficult to be an artists and make a living doing it. You're freelance and there's no benefits. Some do commissions on the side and do alright. Others do it full time and make a great living doing them -- John Byrne being an example. If an artist finds a way to game the system without hurting anyone -- good for them. It's not like he's making people buy the items. The buyers are just caught in the hype.

It's like when Todd McFarlane bought that baseball for crazy money when it's not worth that much considering the player didn't deserve the recognition they received since they juiced themselves up to be able to hit constant homeruns. McFarlane has to live with the fact that he spent that much money for a ball that wasn't earned honorably.

But that's just my 2c

I doubt McFarlane is too worried about those baseballs. If/when they ever come back up for auction, I'll bet he will be able to sell them for more than he bought them for. Regardless of the circumstances, they are a part of baseball history and there will always be someone willing to purchase them.

I quite trying to figure out this market when I saw Dynamite solicit comics this year that DCBS was asking $1000 for. Brand new comics for $1000! We've gone way beyond what is prudent and reasonable. I've said it before, the greed being displayed by publishers is astonishing, yet there are collectors eating this stuff up. Unfortunately, im a few short months, I'm going to have to make a decision about my collection when Marvel solicits Star Wars 1. I just know the amount and prices for the variants is going to be crazy. Do I attempt to keep my collection complete? Do I just purchase a few issues I can afford? Or do I call my collection complete through Dark Horse and turn my attention to something else?

If an artist is able to get someone to buy a sketch for $6500, more power to him. And if the buyer is happy with the purchase, who am I to say he/she is wrong.

Almost weekly now, I read about a sale or a book that has achieved what I find is an astonishing price. I just hope when the time comes for me to sell my collection this same exuberance exists and I can cash in.

Unfortunately, im a few short months, I'm going to have to make a decision about my collection when Marvel solicits Star Wars 1. I just know the amount and prices for the variants is going to be crazy. Do I attempt to keep my collection complete? Do I just purchase a few issues I can afford? Or do I call my collection complete through Dark Horse and turn my attention to something else?

I don't really follow Star Wars titles, has there been variants announced, do you think they will have frequent variants? Perfect time to draw a line under it if you can see yourself getting more enjoyment out of spending your money elsewhere or if it stretches finances.

Unfortunately, im a few short months, I'm going to have to make a decision about my collection when Marvel solicits Star Wars 1. I just know the amount and prices for the variants is going to be crazy. Do I attempt to keep my collection complete? Do I just purchase a few issues I can afford? Or do I call my collection complete through Dark Horse and turn my attention to something else?

I don't really follow Star Wars titles, has there been variants announced, do you think they will have frequent variants? Perfect time to draw a line under it if you can see yourself getting more enjoyment out of spending your money elsewhere or if it stretches finances.

I'll bet on 10 variants for an over/under on Star Wars. Its going to be hard to top the most recent Dark Horse run but if they do I'll be on :cloud9:

...without a variant cover. lol

But that's just my 2c

I doubt McFarlane is too worried about those baseballs. If/when they ever come back up for auction, I'll bet he will be able to sell them for more than he bought them for. Regardless of the circumstances, they are a part of baseball history and there will always be someone willing to purchase them.

seriously? he paid $3MM for the McGwire 70th ball, that's not even a record home run. the Bonds 73rd sold for $450K. subsequently, the Bonds 756th ball sold for $750K. at least those two are "records." anytime he's looking for a $2.5MM+ tax write-off, he could put the McGwire 70th up for auction.

This is perplexing to me... its not like "Death of Wolverine" is a key issue. Come on! We all know DoW is a marketing and sales ploy by marvel. It is a mini series and Wolverine will be absent from comics for maybe 3 days. They never kill anyone completely and therefore these books will be worthless in about the same amount of time.