• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great book on ebay ...War Against Crime 11

46 posts in this topic

True. I saw that there have been a few id's - who's the seller, any idea?

He used to go under the name procustean, which does ring a bell. Don't recall buying anything from him, though.

Procustean rang a bell for me - there are several old (2002) posts with that seller name and not in the best of light.

Just as an example here is a post by Metro about procustean - http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4516#Post4516

Someone stole that book. My copy cost quite a bit more and I paid FMV.

+1

The Gary Arlington ECs have been going for crazy prices in the weekly HA auctions lately - it's been a while since I've seen a deal on a high grade EC.

I should have gone higher but I've got a nicely presenting 8.5 that I'm happy with.

I don't think this book is going to be such a steal - I think there's going to be a problem with this book and its seller.

Here's my book:

WarAgainstCrime11_zps125b83b3.jpg

Here's the ebay WAC 11:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WAR-AGAINST-CRIME-11-EC-1950-CGC-9-2-1st-EC-HORROR-COVER-2nd-CRYPT-KEEPER-/111463955964?ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1123&nma=true&si=%252FYzpStobkQdg7uFkpGumlhJAQtg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

To me they look exactly the same - but I've got bad eyesight. Do they look the same to you?

Here's an edit of the CGC Census - and I'm only going to 9.2 and one column because according to CGC, these are the Unrestored High Grade books.

Grade Universal

Mint 10.0 0

Mint 9.9 1

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 5

Near Mint + 9.6 2

Near Mint 9.4 2

Near Mint - 9.2 1

Additional: My certification shows on the CGC site. The certification number for the other book is nowhere to be found.

Thoughts?

It's the same book. Note the little black smudge in the white strip at the bottom of the FC. Or the tiny black mark at the bottom of the spine in the white strip. Identical miswraps seems possible but very unlikely. Identical miswraps with those marks? Nope.

Definitely looks as if it's the same book. Odd though that the seller has sold a few decent GA books over the last year or two, and the serial number doesn't look photoshopped. Alarm bells didn't go off when I checked the listing.

Good point about the seller. Nothing in his fb seems suspicious. hm

Telerites posted this link from 12 year ago earlier in the thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4516#Post4516

I saw that. I just can't remember his later incarnations. Maybe The Question, that guy who faked owning a muscle car with special rims a few years ago?