• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can a 9.8 be pressed into a 9.9?

69 posts in this topic

I've gone to stores many times to buy new comics to stash away, and almost every time come home empty because the books all have spine stress and other flaws. These are brand new books. Just being stuffed in boxes and shipped knocks most books down below 9.8.

It is possible. I've seen it done one time. Probably never again.

Started life as a lowly 9.8.

06BF4CC2-E12D-45C8-8378-619EA3B79FBA-15444-00000B081B723BDC.jpg

that's cool I was wondering if that was possible at all :)

I'm assuming MOST 9.9's have been pressed. Does this mean they would have been 9.8's or lower without the press? Maybe. But it's really impossible to say.

Depending on the paper, there's a good chance you'll go the opposite direction, especially around the staples, if you're not careful. You can permanently take a book out of the 9.9 running that way.

Yes. On a book that nice, All it takes is looking at a book the wrong way to turn a hypothetical 9.9 into a 9.8 or less. Waaaay better chance of going south than north on the grade.

I once pressed a 9.9 into an 11.

:facepalm:

Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder

.Marty DiBergi: Why don't you make ten a little louder, make that the top number and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: [pauses] These go to eleven.