• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the average grades of collections you normally purchase?

9 posts in this topic

I was just pondering the average grade of collections folks on the boards have purchased. Just going from Memory, many average collections I've bought fall in the following range. There have been a few I've bought over the last 35 years that were 9.0+ but hose are exceptions to the rule. I'm talking 1960's/1970's.

4.0 lower 35%

5.0 lower 20%

6.0 lower 10%

7.0 lower 10%

8.0 lower 10%

9.0 lower 10%

9.8 lower 5%

Anyone else have an opinion or experience they'd like to share? Or a great memory of the high grade dream collections they've found?

And are my percentages way off for the average collection?

Cheers

I'll share a few once this gets going

i think your percents are pretty good, I do think the ones that are of higher grade are more common than that, but they are hotly contested, bought almost instantly, and required a large liquid working capital to scoop up.

It really depends on the era. For instance:

Early Ditko Spideys I'll go as low as 6.0. I even own a 4.5 of ASM 14.

Romita era first appearances I try to shoot for the 8.5 range or better.

Post 121/122 I try and shoot for 9.8 or better.

It just depends on the price point honestly. I'll buy a book if it presents well and I can afford it (my ASM 14).

I was just pondering the average grade of collections folks on the boards have purchased. Just going from Memory, many average collections I've bought fall in the following range. There have been a few I've bought over the last 35 years that were 9.0+ but hose are exceptions to the rule. I'm talking 1960's/1970's.

4.0 lower 35%

5.0 lower 20%

6.0 lower 10%

7.0 lower 10%

8.0 lower 10%

9.0 lower 10%

9.8 lower 5%

Anyone else have an opinion or experience they'd like to share? Or a great memory of the high grade dream collections they've found?

And are my percentages way off for the average collection?

Cheers

I'll share a few once this gets going

The best collection I ever bought went from 1968-1976. Almost complete Marvel superhero and horror, but without a single X-Men book. The books were stored almost completely chronologically in two large stacks, under a large aquarium. The Iron Man #1 and 2 and Cap 100 and 101 were the top books and they were water damaged. From 1968-1972 average grade was 7.0-7.5. Everything else thereafter was an average of about 9.0-9.2, but some of the minor keys were lower. The TOD 10 graded out CGC 8.5 and the WBN 32 CGC 8.0. The Ghost Rider #1 was wrecked, as was the MTU #1 but the ASM 121, 122, 129 and Hulk 181 were all 9.2+

Good times.

The best collection I ever bought went from 1968-1976. Almost complete Marvel superhero and horror, but without a single X-Men book. The books were stored almost completely chronologically in two large stacks, under a large aquarium. The Iron Man #1 and 2 and Cap 100 and 101 were the top books and they were water damaged. From 1968-1972 average grade was 7.0-7.5. Everything else thereafter was an average of about 9.0-9.2, but some of the minor keys were lower. The TOD 10 graded out CGC 8.5 and the WBN 32 CGC 8.0. The Ghost Rider #1 was wrecked, as was the MTU #1 but the ASM 121, 122, 129 and Hulk 181 were all 9.2+

Good times.

Fish Bowl Pedigree?