• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Difference between 'Splash' and 'Spread'

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

English is not my native language, and im a bit confused about the differences between a 'Double Page Splash' and a 'Double Page Spread' ? I would like to get the terminology right.

Is it that the 'splash' or 'half-splash' also has some additional panels on the pages, and the 'spread' is exactly one image on two consecutive pages ?

For example: are these two pages splashes or spreads ?

example-A

example-B

Regards,

Maarten Hoes

The way I understand it is that a double page splash is a single large image on two pages. A double page spread is more than one image or panel that contains at least one image or panel that connects across the two pages. A "splashy" double page spread would be a fair description of example-A but some people would call it a double page splash anyway... and a double page spread would be example-B... you can't argue it any other way if it is just one image though example-C that's a DP splash.

I dunno... what does the jury say on this? If you have a DPS with one small panel in the corner is it still a DPS? Two panels? Four Panels but still a large single image on most of the area?

The way I understand it is that a double page splash is a single large image on two pages. A double page spread is more than one image or panel that contains at least one image or panel that connects across the two pages.
Thanks. I thought it was the other way around: spread being the single image on two pages, and splash having panel(s) in addition to the image on two pages.

I think there cannot be any clear-cut definitions as to when a DPS has so many panels in addition to the main image that it becomes a spread as opposed to a spalsh. I think it is a matter of dominance and quality of the main image.

I have called this piece "Douoble splash" even though the bottom half is panels. But the image above alone would qualify, I believe, for a double splash:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=717518

Interested in hearing views.

Carlo

This is such a cool question because it is rare to find discussions about actual comics on this board sometimes. People seem way too concerned with infighting and politics. With that said I am certainly no expert on this. My understanding is thus, as it was described to me in person by Mark McKenna is that when you open the front page of a comic book you are looking at a "splash". That is a single large image across an entire page. I am definitely not looking for an argument but my understanding is that a double splash is a single large image across two pages, typically what you might find at a centerfold. Next a "spread" is a sequence of punctual but still larger than normal panels used at a critical point in a story. So my assumption would be that if you had a splash page with panels and called it a splash you would be giving an accurate but not thorough desription to a buyer. So I would say to fully describe your piece it would be called a double page spead. Or even DPS on a splash page.GL! and welcome to the boards.

I think there cannot be any clear-cut definitions as to when a DPS has so many panels in addition to the main image that it becomes a spread as opposed to a spalsh. I think it is a matter of dominance and quality of the main image.

I have called this piece "Douoble splash" even though the bottom half is panels. But the image above alone would qualify, I believe, for a double splash:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=717518

Interested in hearing views.

Carlo

I would say it's more of a splash / splashy if the largest image is also the background the panels sit on, but that's only take. edit: DPHS? hehe :baiting: ... very very cool piece btw.

You are right, technically the closest definition should be Double Page Half Splash. But even for half splashes, I still think that if the main image is more than half page, and way dominant / impressive, you can still go with "Splash" without being accused of distorting reality.

Carlo

a Spread is Horizontal, but can have panels and also run across multiple pages; and a Splash is a single page (unless designated as DPS) with no panels, either vertical or horizontal.

Many misuse the term "Splash" to draw attention to their piece with terms like "Splashy" or "Semi-Splash" or call a page a Splash when it's not. Pin-Ups without panels are also not Splash pages, they're pin-ups.

Covers are obviously not Splash pages, as they're Covers. Once in a while a Splash Page will be reused for use as a cover for a TPB or a 2nd / Variant Printing of a cover, so that's when a Splash turns into a Cover.

I think it's clear there's a lot of misuse of terms, and there are gray areas between the designations, but at the end of the day does it really matter.

You look at the page(s) and you either like it or not regardless of what label a dealer puts on it.

True, to some degree. I was merely trying to label the pieces I own correctly on ComicArtFans, so that people searching for splashes will find splashes and not spreads, and vice-versa. I guess I can even imagine people being mildly annoyed if a search aiming for '2 page pictures without additional panels' would turn up lots of '2 page pictures with lots of panels'. I mean, if you would be searching for covers you would want the search to turn up covers and not panel pages. But you are right that in the end, it comes down to if you like the piece or not, and not what it's called.

I think it'd be more useful if "splash" was kept to its original meaning of the title page of a story, with the number of panels being irrelevant. (And the earliest double-page title splash was I think a Captain America story c.1942.)