• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling in sets vs Breaking it up - High Grade Preacher example.

12 posts in this topic

The age of old question - do I keep the books as a set vs selling off the keys for the quicker sale. I'd say in "most" cases I'd keep the set together rather then being stuck with a bunch of random books and the sets can have a premium associated with it. But what about ultra high grade sets? What if a few of the keys will possibly grade out to 9.8 - would you grade the keys and still sell it as a set?

For example - say you have a complete set of Preacher 1 - 66 in ultra high grade. For simplicity sake - lets say half of the books will grade out to 9.6 and the other half will grade out to 9.8. Nothing is ever that simple but lets assume this is the case. Would you sell the books as a high grade set or possibly grade the "key" books in the set and then sell it as a set. Possibly grade the #1 and then sell the set? Or for the rich folk - would you send the whole set in for pre-screening grading and get half the set back as 9.8s and then sell the set for a mint?

I'm hoping this leads to discussions about selling off sets of high grade books like Hulk 150 - 200 which have a couple key books in the mix.

How many people are looking to buy a complete HG run of fifty or more books of any title?

Selling mini-series or a story arc as a set can make sense, but trying to sell a HG set of Preacher 1-66 will transform you from being a dealer into a curator.

How many people are looking to buy a complete HG run of fifty or more books of any title?

Selling mini-series or a story arc as a set can make sense, but trying to sell a HG set of Preacher 1-66 will transform you from being a dealer into a curator.

I sold my high grade run after about two weeks on Ebay, which actually surprised me. I think you just have to price it right if you want to move a whole run.

I like to get stuff in and get it out of my face. When I price it to sell, I unload the whole run and not have to get nickle-and-dimed on my time by sending out batches of comics in smaller lots.

It all depends on how much money you want to make.

If you break it up into individual issues and smaller runs, you'll make more money.

If you sell it all in one lot, you'll make less money but it will be easier.

It looks like a bunch have sold recently and this one looks to be a set with some nicer copies:

Preacher Set

But I guess with a Preacher 1 in CGC 9.8 going for over $500 it doesn't make much sense to sell the entire set for $700 without first checking to see if the #1 is a 9.8 first.

There are people who make decent money, just buying sets, slabbing it and selling individually. Sets will almost always sell for less if there isnt a strong demand to buy the whole thing, which is generally more about one or two deep pocketed collectors.

It costs more capital to get in, which helps limit competition, which is why people with the set up to do it, can churn sets into individual books at profit (especially if you "value add" signatures to it).

If you have less sought after books from the run that are potential 9.8 copies I wouldn't sell them as a set unless you simply want to turn a profit now and move the books quickly. I would grade the keys, hold the potential keys and sell the rest of the books raw in groups of 4 or 5 or whatever is appropriate for the story arcs.

There are people who make decent money, just buying sets, slabbing it and selling individually. Sets will almost always sell for less if there isnt a strong demand to buy the whole thing, which is generally more about one or two deep pocketed collectors.

It costs more capital to get in, which helps limit competition, which is why people with the set up to do it, can churn sets into individual books at profit (especially if you "value add" signatures to it).

Thanks for all the input so far guys.

There's always the "sweat equity" that you need to put into it. But if you enjoy or don't mind the work it may be worthwhile.