• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Duo Shade on TMNT

15 posts in this topic

I recently bought a page from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #9 which was created using a duo shade board (like all of the early TMNT pages as far as I know).

I was wondering if anybody knew how well pages created like this hold up over time. Do the chemically activated line patterns fade over the years? Does the board get damaged by the chemicals in the long run?

Any insight would be highly appreciated.

I've had a page from #5 for almost 15 years now and it seems to have held up fine, although with some yellowing.

16p0fr.jpg

A page from the City at War arc I have has yellowed since I bought it in '93. But when I was a kid I didn't store it properly and had it exposed to sunlight for a long time.

jr43tl.jpg

This one is in better condition, as I acquired it later when I was more conscious of condition:

2podpwz.jpg

In the end just like any kind of paper collectible, it has everything to do with your storage/display method. As you can see the shading lines have aged just fine.

Nice pickup! pics :popcorn:

I have no idea why through the years this page always gets marketed as being from issue 9 ( of which I dont think I've ever seen a page from...) when actually its from issue 11. Regardless, cool page and congrats on your pickup!

I have a bunch of turtles DuoShade pages. They generally fade if the ink used wasn't archival grade or true Indian ink. I have some with lower grade ink that has exhibited fading.

Your page is older than any of mine, so it's hard to say how well your's has held up over time w/o a pic. IMHO the pages hold up very well if you're mindful that all things have a shelf life.

The most apparent physical characteristic after time is a "browning" of the page. That is a result of the chemicals used and I don't believe this can be reversed. The best thing you could do to mitigate this effect is to store the page in as high a archival grade protector as you can(I.E. Mylar portfolio pages, thicker the better). I have heard that sharpie marker(when used to sign boards at cons and such) have a negative effect over time, though I haven't personnaly seen this as of yet. Though, I trust the source of this info.

To my knowledge the toning chems, there were two different chems, don't necessarily fade out, but can exhibit the same browning effect.

DuoShade illustration boards were a 2 piece board. The DuoShade paper was a composite over a thicker board, something like heavy bristol. Some of the bigger pages I have that include the outer border show the composite. There was also a much thinner DouShade paper that was used primarily to tone on. A photostat of the OA was xeroxed onto this paper and then toned. This paper exhibits the same physical characteristics as the illustration board DuoShade.

I've studied this paper to some extent, hope it helps answer your questions.

P.S. I almost pulled the trigger on that same page at Comic Art Con. Great pickup!

P.S.S. To post a pic on a thread post, you have to encapsulate the actual jpeg url in these brackets: x, where x is the url itself. HTML 101

I have 3 duo tone pages.

My AA Fantastic Four one has a lot of yellowing, but I have a funny feeling it was displayed improperly before I purchased it.

The other 2 are even older (maybe around 1988 or so?), and are crisp and white. I purchased those from the artist directly and I know he stored them in a portfolio until I purchased them.

So, long story short (too late) if properly stored, I think they'll last just as long as anything else done on bristol.