• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014 Registry Award by dlyons69

14 posts in this topic

I almost wish CGC didn't give awards unless there are other collectors who are competing in the same set. I have a couple like that...kind of a hollow victory.

I agree. I think I won three categories in which I was the only competitor. The strange part is that I did not request any of those sets be built; the sets were already in the Registry and I found them only because I register all my slabs. I wonder how many Registry sets there are out there with no comics in them?

At least one of the custom sets I requested got finished before the current moratorium was established. Now I can enjoy filling up a set I actually care about populating!

I'm guessing these awards are more or less automatically printed and sent to the top collector in each set - even if there is just one collector.

It would strengthen the integrity of such awards, if awards were given only to top collectors in sets where several collectors are competing and where the top collector owns a significant part of the set.

Have several sets where I'm the only one with registered books, I totally agree with the "hollow victory" feeling. That said personally I don't mind what CGC is doing, IMO the simpler the rules of the game, the better. So what if there's only one competitor in a set, and so what if one only happens to have the highest graded/ highest value comic in a set, beating others with dozens more books of less points value? It's still a "set", no one collector's interest is better than the other's, and the highest number of points wins. Simple is good, IMHO.

I know this will sound crass but I wish there were a way to opt out of receiving these certificates. I receive a number of them each year and honestly don't build my registry sets to compete. I enter books into the registry because was a good way for me to inventory my slabs.

I'm sure I am in the minority on this but it would be a way to save some costs at CGC and possibly pass that on to the customers.

I think it is great for those who truly appreciate them and congratulations to the OP on award - very well done :applause:

I know it may not be everything you want, but if you change your sets to "obscure" then you will be excluded from the competition. No one can see what you have, but as far as your personal inventory goes it should work.

Don't want to derail the OP's journal but I think you still get the certificate IIRC with obscured sets but maybe not. Thanks

Telerites, I am not sure, but maybe you can just delete the address in your profile. Some years ago I got an email from CGC asking me to fill out the address if I wanted to receive my award...

- Ok, just checked, all the fields (now) have asterisks, so it may not work - probably best to ask Gemma or Dena hm

Telerites, I am not sure, but maybe you can just delete the address in your profile. Some years ago I got an email from CGC asking me to fill out the address if I wanted to receive my award...

- Ok, just checked, all the fields (now) have asterisks, so it may not work - probably best to ask Gemma or Dena hm

Then they wouldn't know where to send my coupons, no? I am on auto-renewal.

But please - I shouldn't have even posted - this is about the OP's award and let's bring the focus back there.

Again, congrats :applause: