• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much...

Boards driving pricing bubbles  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Boards driving pricing bubbles

53 posts in this topic

I think the influence of these boards may be overstated sometimes. I've talked to some collectors and dealers that are totally oblivious to these boards. Prices escalate sharply only when the general collector community buys into all the hype, including other forums and websites. When hype becomes widespread enough, then prices will jump.

Having said that, sometimes it only takes a few to get the ball rolling on.

Hype works out great for sellers, but I wonder what percentage of buyers that buy at the peaks regret it later. How many of these books actually hold their value or increase? When the first appearance of Squirrel Girl in 9.8 had an asking price of $900, I knew that hype was out of control.

I think the speculators really push the price of moderns. Books like Enormous are getting a huge push over there, but I haven't seen a lot of buzz outside the boards. The same thing happened with East of West and many others.

As far as older books, I'm not so sure the boards drive it that much.

Yeah what everyone said above. There are "board books" that only seem to be of interest because of the boards which go for a bit above what they would otherwise. Then there are the vast majority of books which have hype due to other reasons (primarily movies right now). I chose 25% because that's the lowest you have, but I would agree that 2-3% is probably about right.

none of the above maybe 2%

there are only 3000 or so CGC members , many not even in the USA

probably less than 10% are on the chat boards

Even when you disregard Stu's 50+ shill accounts, there's close to 28k registered users on the site - so, no, there are not just "3000 or so" members.

You grossly underestimate the influence of the boards - there are numerous examples of modern books that only got hot because people were hyping the *spoon* out of them right here.

none of the above maybe 2%

there are only 3000 or so CGC members , many not even in the USA

probably less than 10% are on the chat boards

Even when you disregard Stu's 50+ shill accounts, there's close to 28k registered users on the site - so, no, there are not just "3000 or so" members.

You grossly underestimate the influence of the boards - there are numerous examples of modern books that only got hot because people were hyping the *spoon* out of them right here.

+1

Years ago, when Atomic Comics was still around in the Phoenix, they use to read the Internet to see which books were hot. I would occasionally go into the store and overhear the employees talking about what the latest Internet buzz was. I'm positive this board was one of those they frequented for news.

I chose 25% only because 0% wasn't an option. The boards is mostly people who sell. Standard buyers are not on here and could care less what anyone on here writes.

Are you sure? I'm a buyer who doesn't sell comics. So are many, many other people who visit these boards. I would think the buyers outnumber the sellers here. Might be a good poll to have.