• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Review: Shipping from the Big Sellers

27 posts in this topic

Here's a quick run down of my experience with the established, larger sellers.

Heritage Auction

The only large seller from whom I regularly received boxes with crush damage. HA uses minimal bubble wrapping and does not feel the void space inside standard USPS Priority boxes. One of these days, I expect a damaged comic. C-

ComicLink

CLink uses oversized boxes with plenty of wrap and padding. I've never had issues with packages from them, whether marketplace or auction. A

ComicConnect / Metropolis

These books arrive from FedEx, and I've never had issues with slabbed book's packaging. I have had some raw books come from Metropolis, also by FedEx, but which didn't have as much interior support. In these few cases, the books were fine despite the slight box damage. B

MyComicShop

Even single slabs will arrive in a large, oversized box with plenty of wrap and peanuts. And one or two slabs will be in an inner box inside the outer box. I've never had box damage of any sort, something probably helped with the better quality cardboard in their boxes. A+

HighGradeComics

Bob uses pretty standard packing that works well. Ample bubble wrap, no voids in boxes. If I have any complaint, it's that he often uses a lot of tape, and I feel like I'm presented with Gideon's Knot, except that I can't use a sword. Still, he's keeping the books safe, and it's my job not to go in there like a kid at Christmas. A

GregReeceComics

I've only purchased two or three times from Greg, but I don't think the packing paper works as well as peanuts to fill the empty space. The books themselves are wrapped well, but that paper has left some minor box damage on the packages I've received. B+

WWComics

Makes Bob's use of tape look primitive. Has felt like getting into a safe when I don't have the key. Otherwise solid packaging. A-

I'm very curious about your HA experience because it flies in the face of everything I have ever gotten from them, and that is A LOT. Anything I ever get from HA is always filled to the hilt with packing material. I just got a package the other day with 3 slabs in it. It was double boxed, filled to the brim in the first box with bubble wrap and the second box was stuffed with packing peanuts. I'm still finding some in my house. The only complaint I ever had with them was shipping a $1k+ piece of art in a bag that was then placed between 8 pieces of cardboard, tapped and shipped. It was secure but I was expecting them to spring for a hard back to put the art in.

I'm very curious about your HA experience because it flies in the face of everything I have ever gotten from them, and that is A LOT. Anything I ever get from HA is always filled to the hilt with packing material. I just got a package the other day with 3 slabs in it. It was double boxed, filled to the brim in the first box with bubble wrap and the second box was stuffed with packing peanuts. I'm still finding some in my house. The only complaint I ever had with them was shipping a $1k+ piece of art in a bag that was then placed between 8 pieces of cardboard, tapped and shipped. It was secure but I was expecting them to spring for a hard back to put the art in.

The times when I've had a single slab shipped from HA, the packaging has been very minimal. :(

Heritage Auction

The only large seller from whom I regularly received boxes with crush damage. HA uses minimal bubble wrapping and does not feel the void space inside standard USPS Priority boxes. One of these days, I expect a damaged comic. C-

ComicLink

CLink uses oversized boxes with plenty of wrap and padding. I've never had issues with packages from them, whether marketplace or auction. A

These books arrive from FedEx, and I've never had issues with slabbed book's packaging. I have had some raw books come from Metropolis, also by FedEx, but which didn't have as much interior support. In these few cases, the books were fine despite the slight box damage. B

MyComicShop

Even single slabs will arrive in a large, oversized box with plenty of wrap and peanuts. And one or two slabs will be in an inner box inside the outer box. I've never had box damage of any sort, something probably helped with the better quality cardboard in their boxes. A+

HighGradeComics

Bob uses pretty standard packing that works well. Ample bubble wrap, no voids in boxes. If I have any complaint, it's that he often uses a lot of tape, and I feel like I'm presented with Gideon's Knot, except that I can't use a sword. Still, he's keeping the books safe, and it's my job not to go in there like a kid at Christmas. A

GregReeceComics

I've only purchased two or three times from Greg, but I don't think the packing paper works as well as peanuts to fill the empty space. The books themselves are wrapped well, but that paper has left some minor box damage on the packages I've received. B+

WWComics

Makes Bob's use of tape look primitive. Has felt like getting into a safe when I don't have the key. Otherwise solid packaging. A-

You forgot to include Pedigreecomics.

Heritage Auction

ComicLink

MyComicShop

HighGradeComics

GregReeceComics

WWComics

Actually, I chose to ignore Pedigree. (thumbs u

Heritage Auction

ComicLink

MyComicShop

HighGradeComics

GregReeceComics

WWComics

Actually, I chose to ignore Pedigree. (thumbs u

Kudos to you! (worship)

Today's box from HA. This is typical.

jF1ouuBl.jpg

HQEVdAHl.jpg

My last few boxes from Heritage also looked like this.

Not sure what HA can do about that. Looks like USPS caused the damage. (shrug)

Key question is whether the book was wrapped securely enough to withstand the damage to the box.