• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pittsburgh Comic Con - Pictures and Impressions

50 posts in this topic

I took a couple cos-play pictures but I may not be the best person to ask girls to take a picture. I got some weird stares when I asked the Alice In Wonderland group for a picture that I didn't ask again. But here are a few I took on my cell-phone:

photo22_zps5b34135c.jpg

take off the wolverine mask next time :baiting:

I had on the devil mask this time - much more friendly!

I went to the first Pittsburgh show in... '95, I think? I was still living in Pittsburgh at the time, but moved shortly after.

I've heard good things about it, though.

The Steelers playing on Sunday didn't help, probably. That area shuts down with the Black and Gold take the field.

best time to do sight seeing, though hotels sell out

The show is in Monroeville, which is not really that close to downtown (or dahntahn as they would say in the 'Burgh), so I don't think hotels would've been a problem.

In fact, the fact that this show stays out in Monroeville may be a bit of a problem. It's an eastern suburb of the city, and that's a long drive for people who live in the South Hills or up north.

Hector -- think of it like people living in Orland Park having to get all the way up to Rosemont. It's a hike.

I was sad to see Perez was not at his booth when I walked by at 11:30 - must have gotten tired of sitting around the rest of the weekend.

On his Facebook he posted that his father was in the hospital and he was sorry he had to leave early.

Yep. I first saw him when I got there around 10:30AM and he had a backback over his shoulder and he was speaking with one of the event organizers, undoubtedly to get a ride to the airport. Sad to hear.

I went to the first Pittsburgh show in... '95, I think? I was still living in Pittsburgh at the time, but moved shortly after.

The Steelers playing on Sunday didn't help, probably. That area shuts down with the Black and Gold take the field.

The show is in Monroeville, which is not really that close to downtown (or dahntahn as they would say in the 'Burgh), so I don't think hotels would've been a problem.

In fact, the fact that this show stays out in Monroeville may be a bit of a problem. It's an eastern suburb of the city, and that's a long drive for people who live in the South Hills or up north.

Hector -- think of it like people living in Orland Park having to get all the way up to Rosemont. It's a hike.

I've been to Pittsburgh (or Smellsburgh) several times. I used to work for a company and had to go there at least once a month.

We drove up once on a Saturday night (to do sight seeing on Sunday) and could not find a hotel in the entire area. They were playing the browns or the ravens. I think the hotel we found was an hour away.

I've been to Pittsburgh (or Smellsburgh) several times. I used to work for a company and had to go there at least once a month.

We drove up once on a Saturday night (to do sight seeing on Sunday) and could not find a hotel in the entire area. They were playing the browns or the ravens. I think the hotel we found was an hour away.

When was the last time you were in Pittsburgh?

HEY! I love Pittsburgh! I would've stayed there after I graduated from college if I could've found a job.

It's a nice city -- not too big, not too overwhelming. Good arts scene. Good for comics.

When I left that job about 2 years ago. It was with the blood bank. The smellsburgh comment was in reference to a comment some actress made that she got a lot of heat for.

I actually liked going to Pittsburgh.

To be fair, Pittsburgh has done a LOT to transition from the blue-collar steel town it once was. It went from being a totally polluted working town to a cleaned up center for business, technology and arts. Good comic scene, good cultural scene. Pittsburgh still has a way to go to shake the old reputation that still sticks with it but I love the place.

To be fair, Pittsburgh has done a LOT to transition from the blue-collar steel town it once was. It went from being a totally polluted working town to a cleaned up center for business, technology and arts. Good comic scene, good cultural scene. Pittsburgh still has a way to go to shake the old reputation that still sticks with it but I love the place.

I'd agree with that. Pittsburgh has done a much better job of upgrading their city compared to Cleveland. Cleveland has a much higher poor urban component compared to Pittsburgh so that has not helped in a quick transition to the technology fields. I like Pittsburgh people because they root for their teams as passionately as the Cleveland fans.

The civic and business leaders in Pittsburgh were smart. In the 60s, they saw the writing on the wall, and realized the area could no longer be supported by manufacturing. The knew that the next twenty or so years were going to be difficult and a lot of jobs were going to be lost, but they were able to transition their city to one that is a leader in medicine, technology, and education.

Look at Detroit. They fought tooth and nail to keep that town a hub of auto manufacturing, and we all know how that turned out. A dying city that is shrinking where most every other urban center is growing.

When I lived in Pittsburgh from 90 to 95, it was definitely on the upswing. Just not enough that I could land a good job when I graduated.

There's a lot of nice places to see in Pittsburgh