• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pittsburgh Comic Con - Pictures and Impressions

50 posts in this topic

I managed to get away with only buying one book (Wolverine Vol. 1, No. 1) and got it signed by Joe Rubeinstein. Also got my Death of Wolverine Herb Trimpe Desert Wind Comics variant signed by Herb Trimpe and my Amazing Spider-Man #252 signed by Ron Frenz. Also commissioned this cool sketch from Ron that's going to go up next to it on the wall:

9F635D57-9E90-42E4-9454-6ACEA52E95CA.jpg

I like smaller cons like this because it gives you a chance to actually talk to the artists and ask them some questions about the industry. Herb Trimpe was nice enough, and Ron Frenz was a real ball-buster. I made the window on my Spidey #252 on the bottom, below Spidey's legs and he said, "Who's the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who cut this window? I usually sign up here, near the price box!" Good guy and didn't even charge for a Signature Series autograph.

CGC people were really nice. My witness was named Bob Caffrey and he was more than happy to chat about things like the industry and even the logjam of books that CGC has right now. Apparently they're starting to really get things cleared out in shipping and things should be moving quickly soon. He was even cool enough to sign my Death of Wolverine COA for me.

90415031-CC8B-4D2F-A116-8F7457EF0374.jpg

EFEFB02F-852D-49BB-9BAF-33C79710A688.jpg

Desert Wind comics were really nice. I ordered one of their Herb Trimpe variants a month or so ago and when it came in, it was a 9.4/9.6 tops. They let me trade it in at their booth for a strong 9.8 candidate, even going so far as to pick through their books themselves and sort out a couple nice ones. No charge.

I'm interested to see if the convention grows any with them moving from Monroeville to Downtown Pittsburgh next year. I'll definitely be back.

That is a Ron Frenz sketch? I think that is better than his work on ASM years ago. Very cool :applause:

I went to the first Pittsburgh show in... '95, I think? I was still living in Pittsburgh at the time, but moved shortly after.

I've heard good things about it, though.

The Steelers playing on Sunday didn't help, probably. That area shuts down with the Black and Gold take the field.

best time to do sight seeing, though hotels sell out

What a glorious outcome from Sunday too :cool:

That is a Ron Frenz sketch? I think that is better than his work on ASM years ago. Very cool :applause:

Yes sir. Nice guy and I chose to pay for a sketch from him since he was the only "big" artist that didn't charge me for a Signature Series autograph. Couldn't be happier. It's at the framer's right now.

we will see how the buffalo comic con turns out.....sunday 10/5/14 1 day show Marriott amherst NY (as usual) 10-4p.

How is this show? I've never attended... (shrug)

It's a good show.

I may have to attend then.... Thanks!

I've posted Buffalo Con reports in the past. Check them out here.