• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next Tysons show?

29 posts in this topic

Are you going to go, DKB? If so, you should meet up with the rest of us (me, Donut, Darth, Lantern, etc). We're always looking for new recruits to the DC/Metro Triad.

Initiation is simple. Similar to a gang-style "jump-in". devil.gif

I have two flyers that I cannot seem to post here due to operator error with my new scanner.

The first indicates:

Shoff Promotions

Comic Book & Non Sports Card Show

Sun. Jan 16 10AM- 4PM

Tysons Corner VA Holiday Inn

Show Info 301-990-4929

The second:

Comic Book, Toy & Card Show

Washington DC's only ComicCon

Sun, Feb 13

New Location in 2005

Dunn Loring Volunteer Fire Dept

10am-3pm

Hope this helps. If anyone needs a copy of the flyer(s), PM me with your Email address and I will email the scan--both include the directions.

Don't you have to bring a variant for Donut in order to join???

lol! I forgot! Apart from the 'jump-in', you have to pay tribute as well. thumbsup2.gif

I remember from the last show that the location was moving to the fire house in Feb.

Any idea? www.capicons.com hasn't updated in a bit.

I usually get an email the week before, but there was a flyer at the last show... I hope heinlein99 sees this thread smile.gif He wanted to know when the next one was for sure...

I sent an email to Jeff and to Al Stolz asking when the next show is and will post when / if I hear back from them. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I remember so many local shows being run into the ground from people who lost interest in running them and I'm starting to get the same feeling about this one. Anyone remember the Serendipity shows, the Jubilee shows? stooges.gif I just hope this doesn't happen to the Tyson's show. frown.gif

Are any of you guys setting up there? If so, how will people even know to attend if he doesn't advertise? confused-smiley-013.gif

I posted both show dates 4 posts above..........................

Shield Agent, I just received an email back from Al and you are correct. The second show you listed is the "Tysons" show. I didn't think it was since it is now meeting in a fire house. confused.gif (WTF?) The last time I attended, in the fall, it was in a hotel ballroom. foreheadslap.gif Thanks for the clarification,

Joe

I sent an email to Jeff and to Al Stolz asking when the next show is and will post when / if I hear back from them. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I remember so many local shows being run into the ground from people who lost interest in running them and I'm starting to get the same feeling about this one. Anyone remember the Serendipity shows, the Jubilee shows? stooges.gif I just hope this doesn't happen to the Tyson's show. frown.gif

Are any of you guys setting up there? If so, how will people even know to attend if he doesn't advertise? confused-smiley-013.gif

I remember those!!! I used to set up at the Jubilee Shows I had some killer shows. I once did a Jubilee show and did over $500 in Spawn sales!!

Greedy Gail!

Whozzat? Did she run the show or something? I was a pre-teen or early teen when Jubilee was around, and I don't know who the con organizers were.

Then I am sure I know you. I used to go to all those shows, as a buyer and seller.

Yes, Gail Huey and her sister and brother ran the show. They began the Jubilee shows in the wake of Mark Feldman, who started the first comic shows in the DC area that I know of.

Here is Maryland / DC comic convention history as I know it:

Mark Feldman begins the Maryland Funnybook Festival at the Wheaton, Maryland, Howard Johnson's in the early 1970s. I recently sold a program from 1973 to one of his shows on ebay. (My first con ever!! cloud9.gif I can remeber buying stacks of Caps and Spideys in the 6-for-$1 box...)

The late Mark Feldman also ran a store next to the IHOP in Wheaton on the corner of University Blvd and it was the first comic shop I ever saw. Mark died in the 1980s unfortunately, but he was a true pioneer. Carl Bridgers started the Barbarian Book Shop right around the corner in 1973 and is still there to this day. (My first job ever!! cloud9.gif)

Gary Groth and Joel Pollack organized the Metro Con in 1973 when they were students at Univ of MD. GG went on to found the Comics Journal and JP to found Big Planet Comics with Gene Carpenter in the mid-1980s.

Gail Huey began the Jubilee shows at the SAME hotel Mark Feldman did (*cough* - rip-off - *cough*), but she was more of a business person than Mark was, and she was very aggressive at getting mailing lists and in advertising. He was more of a fan. She expanded the show beyond Wheaton to other locations, Virginia, Ohio, even Kentucky. Then, in the early 1990s, she got into the Beanie Babies and, well, I think that didn't work out too well. frown.gifI have no idea what Gail and her siblings are up to now. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ultimately, Gail should be credited with keeping the local comic con scene alive and well for over two decades. No one can take that from her. 893applaud-thumb.gif But toward the end, she butted heads with a lot of people, including me, and that doesn't make for good business. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I've mentioned Bob Horn of Captain Blue Hen's in Newark, Delaware, and the Serendipity shows of the 1980s and 1990s, but there was one other guy who did conventions. He had red hair and was from Hagerstown; I can't remember his name. confused-smiley-013.gif Anybody remember his name? We also now have Gene Carpenter starting up some small shows. Joel Pollack also has the big independent show in Bethesda each year, last time I checked.

Well, that's the last 30 years of Washington DC-MD-VA local comic convention history as I remember it. Anyone want to add to this?

Let's hope the Tysons show doesn't enter the list of now-defunct shows.