• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sort of a game... guess the grade. Amazing Spider-Man #6 : Closed.

34 posts in this topic

Contest is now closed...

Thanks to everyone for their input and guesses!

We have 3 winners and one GRAND PRIZE winner!

(Everyone has been contacted through PM)

Ok, maybe that was a little over the top and dramatic but I decided to award a Grand Prize winner to the boardie that actually gave the right two combination grades. The board member only did that because no one else guessed it but it also allows for a nice segue into talking about this book.

So congratulations to:

divad

Hiro

white_rushin

Azkaban... who provided the right two grades!

This ASM 6 was purchased here on the boards just a little while back from a board member who stated...

"...ASM 6 CGC 3.5 bought this slabbed but since it's old label I am guessing it's not pressed. Looking for $300 shipped given the old label and the almost definite bump this book will get on a CPR."

Well, I have to admit that when I received the book, the first thing I thought of was how this would grade with TNKOTB (The New Kids On The Block)

These guys...

nkotb560_zps3ce1c2c6.jpg

I think SB is the first on the left but I'm not positive.

(And for the record, I'm a fan of Donnie Wahlberg...

... on Blue Bloods!) :D

Anyways, here is the original CGC Old Label.

asm6_zpsc0cd8e01.jpg

When I received the book in hand, I thought to myself, "Yeah, that's a 3.5... maybe a 4.0 on a good day." You see, I thought that if I were to send in this copy to TNKOTB, it would be a good test to see how an old blue label would fare against what I thought would be 'a tighter grading service.'

Since this little experiment and based on your responses, I fall really short when it comes to determining how Marvel Chipping affects grading on SA books.

So back to what I was going to say...

In hand and especially once I cracked the book out of the Old Label holder, I had to agree with the grade of a 3.5. As a matter of fact, if I would have turned right around right then and there to flip the book raw, I would've advertised the book as a VG- due to the severity of the chipping.

So, yes... I agreed with the Old Label CGC grade.

And as has been proven to me by the last grading contest by Andy, I tend to undergrade everything but I do seem to do better with GA books.

So when I submitted the book to TNKOTB... I expected a 3.5 or maybe a 4.0.

Again, I didn't press the book- I only lightly erased some of the grease pencil in the title block.

I was surprised to see this graded as a 5.0.

Apparently many (or most) of you are not.

And that's where I feel I need to learn more about Marvel Chipping...

Thanks again everyone! :)

Darn. I had it at 3.5 but bumped it since I thought I was being too harsh. Nice experiment.

You were close but even closer to how I viewed the book.

Too much missing paper for it to be higher than a 4.0 and if those pieces were out of the corners... yup.

That was my thinking too. (thumbs u