• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thank You CGC!

74 posts in this topic

Don't you have any of your cockeyed scans to send to me for color correction, straightening, sharpening and resizing?

poke2.gif

Yeah.. I DO need more 100 pagers, now that I think about it... devil.gif

I have plenty of those fool! thumbsup2.gif

Don't you have any of your cockeyed scans to send to me for color correction, straightening, sharpening and resizing?

poke2.gif

Yeah.. I DO need more 100 pagers, now that I think about it... devil.gif

I have plenty of those fool! thumbsup2.gif

screwy.gif

I submitted books using the so-called express coupons on the day of the forum dinner in November. If you recieved economy books back already,there is something very wrong here.

They call the coupons you get for joining or rejoining the Society express,yet they tell you they take 20 business days,not the seven that normal express does.

BTW-get anything good back?

hey Shad - are you saying that your express freebies haven't come back yet???

(that would make those "modified" express books way overdue!!!!!! - over 30 business days already taking the holidays into consideration).

and Spideysense - please answer the question as to precisely what service you paid for to get "Economies" in 6 weeks.................thanks.

Not to hijack the thread, but I got a nice surprise. I sent a bunch of books to CGC, 3 CS submissions, 1 magazine (TMNT #1), a bunch of moderns, and a bunch of economies. CGC received the books on November 30th.

The TMNT was returned ungraded because too high/wide. sorry.gif

As of today on the website, the CS submissions is still "scheduled to be graded". sign-rantpost.gif

Yesterday, 1/4, I received the Moderns back. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Highlights include:

Ms Marvel 16 (9.8)

Ms. Marvel 17 (9.6)

Ms. Marvel 18 (9.6)

Rai #3 (9.8)

Rai #4 (9.8)

Astonishing Tales #36 30 Cent Variant (9.0) Top Census! acclaim.gifshy.gif Darth?

I submitted books using the so-called express coupons on the day of the forum dinner in November. If you recieved economy books back already,there is something very wrong here.

They call the coupons you get for joining or rejoining the Society express,yet they tell you they take 20 business days,not the seven that normal express does.

(that would make those "modified" express books way overdue!!!!!! - over 30 business days already taking the holidays into consideration).

and Spideysense - please answer the question as to precisely what service you paid for to get "Economies" in 6 weeks.................thanks.

BB,

Thats exactly what I'm saying. I submitted them the day I met you at the show. A TTA #60,a TOS #60,and I can't recall the third book. frustrated.gif

BB,

Thats exactly what I'm saying. I submitted them the day I met you at the show. A TTA #60,a TOS #60,and I can't recall the third book. frustrated.gif

OUCH!!!!!

here's what i just can't fathom;

econ's cost $29 for 18 week service that's billed as 8 weeks.

std's cost $49 for 5+ weeks service that's billed as 3 weeks.

coll society express service costs $33 for 7 (and counting) weeks service that's billed as 4 weeks.

yet moderns at only $16. get 5 week service that's just a tad over what's being touted...........

what is one to assume when the cheapest tier gets the best service?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i'm actually starting to get pizzed that service hasn't improved for a year. i swear to god (with higher prices / service issues / SCS / non tamper-proof slabs / top resto expert leaving / potential for linkup with "resto" service) that they are just making it easier for dealers/collectors to begin to get beyond PGA's initial shortcomings..............and give them a shot........... sign-rantpost.gif

ok - glad to get that off my chest........ frustrated.gif

It is frustrating to see that no progress has been made on the Economies over the past month. We're still stuck on that 8/25 date. I hope we don't hit the 5 month mark with the convention season on hand. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

It is frustrating to see that no progress has been made on the Economies over the past month. We're still stuck on that 8/25 date. I hope we don't hit the 5 month mark with the convention season on hand. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

news.gif

I got my grades yesterday from econs received at CGC on 9/8. As with Burntboy, I'm extremely disappointed that turn-times have not improved at all in a year...and in fact they seem to have gotten worse. I have heard that the reason for this is, despite the increasing number of graders on staff, ONLY ONE GRADER FINALIZES ALL THE ECON GRADES!?!? foreheadslap.gif

I just re-upped my CS membership and will be sending in my Spidey 1, AF 15, and something else from my personal collection shortly as I'm really in no hurry to get these back, but I have not sent any more books in to CGC since my September submittal. mad.gif

I believe my next order is going to PGA...or whatever their name is. To be frank, I'm worried that the books may not sell as well as CGC'ed books for two reasons:

1) Acceptance in the marketplace; and

2) Stricter grading (and IMHO if they're stricter than CGC they're moving into the realm of inaccurate grading).

I've bought a few PGA books under 9.4 and the grades seemed comparable to CGC and my grading. I've heard they are stricter in the 9.4+ arena, but I don't really have any first-hand knowledge of that. Anyone have any input as to PGA/CGX sales prices vs. CGC sales prices?

I think it's time to give them a try. Let me go check PGA's website to see when I might get these sub-$100 silver and bronze age books back - ok, it looks like I can get these books back in 2-3 weeks at half the cost of getting them slabbed through CGC. I'm going for it...look for an update in about a month with the results. gossip.gif

think it's time to give them a try. Let me go check PGA's website to see when I might get these sub-$100 silver and bronze age books back - ok, it looks like I can get these books back in 2-3 weeks at half the cost of getting them slabbed through CGC. I'm going for it...look for an update in about a month with the results.

Please keep us informed. I definitely want to know how you feel about their grading.

I have 50 books that I want to have pre-screen by CGC, but knowing that it could be five months before I see them again just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling at all.

think it's time to give them a try. Let me go check PGA's website to see when I might get these sub-$100 silver and bronze age books back - ok, it looks like I can get these books back in 2-3 weeks at half the cost of getting them slabbed through CGC. I'm going for it...look for an update in about a month with the results.

Please keep us informed. I definitely want to know how you feel about their grading.

I have 50 books that I want to have pre-screen by CGC, but knowing that it could be five months before I see them again just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling at all.

I know what you mean. I have about 40 GA good girl art books that I want to send to CGC, but hate waiting 4 months to get them back.

Its very frustrating. I had wanted to get some modern books done at the show,but their"same day,on-site grading" wouldn't have been ready until the next day.

The CGC site claims the "express" society coupons are being graded in twenty days.

I'm really beginning to wonder just what CGC does do right?

Bad press+bad performance=?

It's pathetic...early last summer I had a great vision of submitting batches of books to CGC on a monthly basis. I figured this way I would get books back on a monthly basis (after the initial 4-month wait), and by the time winter rolled around they would catch up to the 2-month turn-time as stated on their webpage.

I've been submitting books to CGC since the beginning, and I recall after an initial period of up to 6 months wait for econs, they caught up (mid-2003?). So moderns were coming back in a month, and econs in about 8 weeks. Unfortunately, their service has slowly slid backwards and shows no signs of improving, so it's time to give the other guy a shot.

I think I'll have a Grading Contest with the results!! Anyone interested in running it...Nikos?

what is one to assume when the cheapest tier gets the best service??

I believe the logic is that the vast majority of moderns being submitted are:

1). Very high grade (9.0 or better), which makes them easier, and thus faster, to grade.

2). VERY unlikely to have any sort of restoration, making the resto check uneccessary, and the process again faster.

3). My guess is that moderns don't really get the "3-grader" treatment either.

4). Moderns, volume wise, are a substantial part of the CGC business...and if my first three points are on target, it pays to at least perfect the "easiest" part of your business. My guess is that modern subs are the one part of the certification business model that a competitor could eat into with relative ease. If, however, those who submit modern subs are happy with CGC's prices and turnaround, it makes it much less likely that they would take their business to PSA, CGG, PXA, or whatever.

what is one to assume when the cheapest tier gets the best service??

I believe the logic is that the vast majority of moderns being submitted are:

1). Very high grade (9.0 or better), which makes them easier, and thus faster, to grade.

2). VERY unlikely to have any sort of restoration, making the resto check uneccessary, and the process again faster.

3). My guess is that moderns don't really get the "3-grader" treatment either.

4). Moderns, volume wise, are a substantial part of the CGC business...and if my first three points are on target, it pays to at least perfect the "easiest" part of your business. My guess is that modern subs are the one part of the certification business model that a competitor could eat into with relative ease. If, however, those who submit modern subs are happy with CGC's prices and turnaround, it makes it much less likely that they would take their business to PSA, CGG, PXA, or whatever.

Good point. Especially, since I won't be submitting my GA books to PGX due to their restoration check problems.

It's pathetic...early last summer I had a great vision of submitting batches of books to CGC on a monthly basis. I figured this way I would get books back on a monthly basis (after the initial 4-month wait), and by the time winter rolled around they would catch up to the 2-month turn-time as stated on their webpage.

I've been submitting books to CGC since the beginning, and I recall after an initial period of up to 6 months wait for econs, they caught up (mid-2003?). So moderns were coming back in a month, and econs in about 8 weeks. Unfortunately, their service has slowly slid backwards and shows no signs of improving, so it's time to give the other guy a shot.

I think I'll have a Grading Contest with the results!! Anyone interested in running it...Nikos?

Maybe CGC should stop doing on-site grading until they can get caught up? Grading on-site seems to me like when I'm standing in line at a store to purchase something and the checker answers the phone. Then spends several minutes answering someones questions while I'm waiting with cash[ in hand to buy something.

It's almost like a slap in the face from CGC to do on-site grading when they're this far behind.

Grader #1: "Let's go grade books at X comic con."

Grader #2: "What about all the books sitting right here that need grading?"

Grader #1: "They've already been paid for so screw em. Let's go make some money!"

yeahok.gif