• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any recomendations on how to best handle this?

18 posts in this topic

I sold a book on ebay for around $500 last weekend that was purchased by a 0 feedback seller. They immediately paid me via paypal. The account is unverified, which I believe means that it is backed with a credit card. The address is verified.

There have been a number of threads with PayPal horror stories and I'm worried that I might be setting myself up for a chargeback that will be difficult to undo.

Any suggestions on how best to handle this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Since it's for $500, make sure you get not only delivery confirmation, but also signature confirmation.

Might as well insure it too, if you have any reason to think he's a flake.

Good question. Is there a way to insulate yourself from a chargeback? Does transferring the money received from Paypal to a bank account do the trick?

No, there isn't. But chargebacks are generally difficult to obtain. First, the buyer must have charged the entire item to his chargecard. Next, he must claim that either the item was never received, or that it was "unfit for its intended purpose". Goods received in a condition less than expected does not cut it. He has to use the magic words, or the bank won't issue a chargeback. And, the item still needs to be returned to the seller. I've never had one as a seller, but I've had to make two claims as a buyer.

PayPal is really just the conduit. They make sure that they don't lose money. They used to freeze your account as a consequence, but they are presently paying out $50 million dollars to settle those shenanigans, I don't think they will do this anymore.

Send the book Priority Mail w/delivery confirmation and insured and you should be just fine... thumbsup2.gif

I believe it would need to be sent Registered Mail to avoid Paypal charge-backs 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I sold a book on ebay for around $500 last weekend that was purchased by a 0 feedback seller. They immediately paid me via paypal. The account is unverified, which I believe means that it is backed with a credit card. The address is verified.

There have been a number of threads with PayPal horror stories and I'm worried that I might be setting myself up for a chargeback that will be difficult to undo.

Thanks,

Pete

Many of the answers on here are intended well, but some of it is speculation.

FACT: You are guaranteed by paypal that you will not lose money a chargeback if you get SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION on an item over $250 and that you send to a verifed address. There is no need for delivery confirmation if you have signature confirmation, which is a higher-level of the same service. Also, be certain to insure the package in case it does get lost. If the buyer claims he / she didn't receive the package, paypal accepts signature confirmation to verify your side of the story. Since the address is verified, I'm assuming it's a US address. If it is outside the US, use US Air Mail Parcel Post which can be insured and tracked, but signature confirmation is not available. Hope this helps.

Joe

Thanks,

Pete

Pete - Raw? or Graded? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As stated, a few times, send at least with delivery confirmation and insurance, if not going all the way with sig required.

I got burned once on a hockey card lot on ebay. Buyer claimed he never received but I never got it back as bad postage or wrong address or whatnot. Though we all love to slam USPS/Canada Post they really don't lose a lot of mail....So now I only ship in the US with delivery confirmation. If a buyer wants to buy outside the US they pay a premium for my security.

mini rant...sorry...

sign-rantpost.gif

Pete - Raw? or Graded?

It's a graded Avengers #9 - 9.0.

Thanks everyone for your posts. I was surprised by the majority advising sending the book. In retrospect, maybe that was the right thing to do.

But it wasn't what I did. After reading Rocketeer's post, which was the 1st reply to my question and pretty much verified all of my paranoia, I jumped the gun and refunded the payment. I also sent the buyer an apolgetically toned email explaining why I did it and asking for a money order. It's been almost a day now and I haven't heard back. In fact, I haven't heard a peep out of this buyer since he won the auction.

After reading these posts I've been feeling a bit guilty. I've got this vision of an 18 year old kid, 1st credit card in hand, geeked up and ready to make his 1st foray into the comic market.....only to get shot down by me. sorry.gif

If that's the case, I suppose I can console myself in not taking 25% over the GPA from a newb. acclaim.gif

Thanks again.

Pete

Don't feel too bad. All the scams I have seen revealed over the last few months, you really can't be too careful. If he wants it, he'll contact you.

All I can say is that the buyer now appears suspect that HE was about to scam the guy but backed out because he was going to get caught or has another plan to screw the buyer over. What was an innocent buy has become a potential mess. Why don't you just insure the package and have him sign for it as a registered package? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Take a chance my a@@!

C.Y.A.!!!

893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gifscrewy.gif

First off,...I have to agree on one thing,..there has been a lot of perhaps well-meant, but mis-guided information in this thread about what Paypal and Credit Card companies can and will do......the best and most accurate information did come from Comicbookguy guy on how to handle a situation like this ,..however, don't feel paranoid about what you did...although everyone has to start somewhere, the chances that a new E-bay member , who just registered on 12/27/04 winning an auction for $480.00, for a comic book, ...... which remarkably enough was 40% higher (sorry had to check a little GPA there),than the previous all sale average of $343.00,is highly unlikely.... it's not being paranoid,...it's being alarmed,....this has every smell of a scam,...and if that book went out without signature confirmation you would have been libel for the return on the funds if the buyer said he had never recieved it........Paypal will freeze your account and debit those fund out,and if you can not provide signature confirmation you will be forced to pay that amount back (that is if they haven't already seized it from your Paypal balance already) or have to forfeit your account......I can say this cause it happened to me less than a month ago....remember ,..anything over $250.00 without signature confirmation and you lose,...under $250.00 delivery confirmation will do..... sign-rantpost.gif