• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you handle potential 9.8 books?

16 posts in this topic

I'm putting together my first batch of books to submit to CGC and wanted to scan the books before sending the books in. This prompted me to freak out a bit when taking them out of their bag and putting them on the scanner since I know one spine tick can mean the difference between 9.6 and 9.8. How do you handle these very high grade books? Rubber gloves and scan thru the bag?

I always wash my hands before handling comics. I have white cotton gloves I especially use for moderns because fingerprints can be a real pain to remove on dark covers. I just gently handle the book, scan it, then I put it against the board, then slide it into the bag to prevent any scratching.

If it's an expensive 9.8 book, I put that bag and board into a GA bag and board to help keep it from movement that might damage a corner.

I always felt the trick is to keep the book from moving around at all, as impact inside the bag could blunt a corner.

Why are you scanning them? If you want to document the shape they are in before the get graded, go invest in a good digital camera and take pictures that way. If you create a photo light box you take perfect pictures every time.

Why are you scanning them? If you want to document the shape they are in before the get graded, go invest in a good digital camera and take pictures that way. If you create a photo light box you take perfect pictures every time.

And folks, no offense to CGC, you should document the shape of any reasonably high dollar book you send in. Plenty of cases of books, without shipping damage, showing evidence of mishandling somewhere. Plus, if you're like me, sometimes you can see the pics and tell that it was your own idiocy not CGC's that caused the low grade.

I've never scanned books before I submitted them. As someone mentioned on the first page, it is a good way to see close-up if you're missing anything and make sure you knew what the book was like before being handled by CGC.

I use special gloves with mini-leaf blower technology that carefully lifts the book aerodynamically without having to touch it.

I use special gloves with mini-leaf blower technology that carefully lifts the book aerodynamically without having to touch it.

You probably don't have any 9.8 candidates to worry about :baiting: