• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie Q - cgc 9.8 comics with bad corners, is this normal?

13 posts in this topic

hi guys,

I have a newbie question

Just bought my first 2x cgc 9.8 rated spidey comics. However both (from 2 different sellers) have very clearly damaged corners. I am very confused i thought cgc ratings are very strict and that their 9.8 rating is near the highest mint level you can get. So how can they rate those comics as 9.8 when there are obvious flaws on the corners of both comics? Is this considered normal for 9.8 or did i get some bad apples? See photos below.

Appreciate if someone can clear this up for me, very confused.

Thank you

cgc981.jpg

cgc982.jpg

1. They might consider that a printing defect so it wouldn't affect the grade at that point. Not saying that's right, but that's always been the policy.

2. Maybe the sigs are on the first page?

1. They might consider that a printing defect so it wouldn't affect the grade at that point. Not saying that's right, but that's always been the policy.

Thanks, do you think I should return them or are most cgc 9.8 like that too

If you aren't happy with them and the seller accepts returns, than go for it.

No on your second point. It really just depends on the particular issue. Some books (take ASM #300 for example) share a common defect on many of the copies. That's why CGC has the policy not to downgrade for a common printing defect in place.

Those are bindery tears. Many books get 9.8s with bindery tears depending upon what the print run was like. The one that I see most often is Saga #1. My 9.8 and a ton of others have a little flag flaring out on the upper left corner.

All depends- do you like the books???

Known production defects do not always affect grades.

As far as returning - if the seller accepts returns you can return - but you should be expected to pay for postage. If this is an ebay sale - this is not a case of "item not as described" - so buyers remorse. Happens and reasonable sellers should really not have a problem with a return as long as you pay shipping.

9.8s are close to perfect - but there are 1-2 defects allowed (small ones) - the small spine tear could have been counted as this (1-2 defects) as well.

As you get more slabs - you will see many different accumulations of defects. 6.0 -- can be a result of few large defects - or several smaller - but in the end if you buy a slabbed 6.0 it is a slabbed 6.0 (or whatever grade) unless you crack it open.

Thanks guys, I checked some of the photos on ebay and they all have similar tears and rated 9.8 Looks like this is pretty normal and not something to be concerned about. I just didnt know. Will be keeping both :)

Glad you did some research and are happy with your purchases!

Too often people (esp on eBay) just start hitting the return button and dropping those negs.