• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arch Nemesis - Who's number 2?

41 posts in this topic

With all superheroes, there is usually one villain that is clearly the number one arch nemesis. So who is number 2?

List your heroes and villains.

Superman - Lex Luther 1 / Brainiac 2 ?

Spider-Man - The Green Goblin 1 / Doctor Octopus 2 ?

Batman - The Joker 1 / Catwoman 2 ?

Archie - Reggie 1 / Big Moose 2 ?

X-Men - Magneto 1 / Sentinels 2 ?

Etc.

Cheers!

N.

Not a chance. Goblin killed Gwen, knows Peter's identity, tried to kill Aunt May etc. Doc Ock tried to marry Aunt May. It's not even a contest that Goblin is Spidey's Arch (though I think Ock appears in more stories and I do know that he was intended to be his Arch)

Not a chance. Goblin killed Gwen, knows Peter's identity, tried to kill Aunt May etc. Doc Ock tried to marry Aunt May. It's not even a contest that Goblin is Spidey's Arch (though I think Ock appears in more stories and I do know that he was intended to be his Arch)

Exactly, but your forgot to list one more of GG's accomplishments. He killed himself on accident 40 years ago. Doc Ock has been relevant since issue #3. The fact that Gobs is #2 speaks volumes, but history has shown that Doc Ock is the arch-nemesis of Spidey. To say its "not even close" sounds like a stretch, but to each is own.

I'd actually argue for Ock to be #1 as well. More stories, and Spidey had his hands full every single time. Ock was the villain in #31-33, arguably the best story in the title. The Goblin appears too few times, and even the Gwen story, as awesome as it is, doesn't overcome Ock's overall body of work. This doesn't even count Ock taking over as Spidey for the better part of two years.

I'd actually argue for Ock to be #1 as well. More stories, and Spidey had his hands full every single time. Ock was the villain in #31-33, arguably the best story in the title. The Goblin appears too few times, and even the Gwen story, as awesome as it is, doesn't overcome Ock's overall body of work. This doesn't even count Ock taking over as Spidey for the better part of two years.

To me Goblin had a bigger overall effect on Peter. He killed Gwen. Doc may have had him evenly matched but only the Goblin put that dread fear into him. He pushed away so much from MJ for that reason, he constantly worried about Aunt may for that reason. It made his secret identity matter. Ock was just a tough villain who appeared alot.