• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sotheby's

55 posts in this topic

Not much more in the Euro side.

Sotheby's did a comic auction about 2 years ago (which was one of the biggest fails in the history of comic auctions).

Christies did its first (in recent history) comic auction this spring. It was quite successful.

If these houses do art sale in Europe do they fall under the resale rules where you are supposed to compensate the artist for any resale that goes up in value?

If these houses do art sale in Europe do they fall under the resale rules where you are supposed to compensate the artist for any resale that goes up in value?

As far as comic art goes published work wouldn't be under the copyright protection of the artist unless it is creator owned right? I don't know if I understand things correctly here but taking DC interiors as an example they are stamped with DC's copyright which I doubt transfers to the artist so it wouldn't qualify. I would have thought that unpublished work containing characters that other people own would also have problems qualifying for protection.

If you sell a page in Europe, yes. It's part of the seller fees, and automatically deduced before you're paid. It's called "droit de suite" and is worth 4% (+VAT) of the hammer price for all prices under 50.000€. There is no such fee if the hammer price is under 750€.

There is a lot of conditions (sorry it's in french), including the fact that the author must be / have been a citizen in one of these countries ... it look like it does not include US artists :grin:

If you sell a page in Europe, yes. It's part of the seller fees, and automatically deduced before you're paid. It's called "droit de suite" and is worth 4% (+VAT) of the hammer price for all prices under 50.000€. There is no such fee if the hammer price is under 750€.

There is a lot of conditions (sorry it's in french), including the fact that the author must be / have been a citizen in one of these countries ... it look like it does not include US artists :grin:

Google Translate to the rescue!

;)

I had absolutely no idea laws like these existed: so whenever you re-sell a piece of art, a percentage of that sale automatically goes to the creator(s) of the art ? Sounds like a weird law to me ...

Doesn't exist in north america but there was some discussion of it if you search the forums. The idea is often artists don't get the benefit of those high resale values. I.e. let's say jack kirby was still alive and he really didn't have a lot of money yet his work was selling for large amounts, it would give him financial comfort as a result of his contributions. I agree with you though. Sorry but once something is sold, its sold. I think those laws could (perhaps do?) create as many or more problems than they solve. 2c

Yeah. I'm not sure what those houses could do that heritage doesn't already

Yeah, the U.S. market is already very well served.

I am of belief that competition eventually helps the consumer in the long run.

Doesn't exist in north america but there was some discussion of it if you search the forums. The idea is often artists don't get the benefit of those high resale values. I.e. let's say jack kirby was still alive and he really didn't have a lot of money yet his work was selling for large amounts, it would give him financial comfort as a result of his contributions. I agree with you though. Sorry but once something is sold, its sold. I think those laws could (perhaps do?) create as many or more problems than they solve. 2c

It's absurd. On the flip side if this law existed in NA then I would expect to be compensated by an artist when I took a loss especially after buying direct from an artist.

Yeah. I'm not sure what those houses could do that heritage doesn't already

Yeah, the U.S. market is already very well served.

I am of belief that competition eventually helps the consumer in the long run.

well of course. but the point is, if you are sotheby's or christie's, why would you bother?

If I am sotheby's I have to know that the potential consignors for the high value items comic + comic OA I might like to auction off are already being "well served." Its already competitive; I'm not getting an untapped market here.

And if I'm a potential consignor of five and six figure items already getting service from heritage, why should I choose sotheby's when heritage has the better list of comic/comic OA buyers?

Price (ie lower fees) might get me to switch, but I highly doubt that Sotheby's wants to compete on who can have the lower fees.

It's absurd. On the flip side if this law existed in NA then I would expect to be compensated by an artist when I took a loss especially after buying direct from an artist.

perfect example.