• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Wolverton Books - A simple question

13 posts in this topic

Anyone can clarify for me the following:

Fantagraphics is soliciting two Wolverton collections in the current previews:

Volume 1 of his bio - http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/creeping-death-from-neptune-the-life-and-comics-of-basil-wolverton-vol-1-2.html?vmcchk=1

and The Complete Spacehawk - http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/spacehawk.html

In the write-up of the bio, it states:

"All of Wolverton's non-humorous comic book stories will be presented in full [..]"

So should I assume that all of Spacehawk will be in the Bio? Doesn't sound accurate to me. I'd love guidance if you have more insights than I have. I'll try to contact Greg Sadowski as well and will report if I get a clear explanation.

Looks like the plan is for the Bio volumes to reprint all his non-humor stuff chronologically, including the SpaceHawk stories, eventually rendering the Spacehawk volume redundant.

The Spacehawk is large size (9x13 vs 8x10) and I highly recommend it given what a great job they did and how impressive it is.

Looks like the plan is for the Bio volumes to reprint all his non-humor stuff chronologically, including the SpaceHawk stories, eventually rendering the Spacehawk volume redundant.

RJ, that's how I read it but here's the (quick, kudos Fantagraphics) reply from the publisher:

"All of the Spacehawk was published in the first volume. We have a second volume of Wolverton comics coming out called Creeping Death from Neptune that will feature more non-humor comics but none with Spacehawk."

So, if accurate, I'll order both but the description copy is misleading. Or, I'll end up with Spacehawk in both volumes and still be happy.

Thanks AS for the recommendation. I hadn't thought to check the size of each item.

The thing is the cover for Creeping Death ( which is the title of the first Spacehawk story) indicates it's material through 1941. GCD says Wolverton produced around 250 pages cover dated up through that year, most of it Spacehawk stories. While I imagine there is a fair amount of bio material and early non-comics work reproduced, it seems like it would be tough to get to 300 plus pages without the Spacehawk material, unless the book is more text than comics.

For the two-volume bio of Kriegstein that Sadowski produced, the first volume was mostly bio and the second was stories reproduced. They might be following that format? I agree it's still not clear ...

:bump:

FWIW, I just received the two volumes and indeed there is no overlap in both these books.

Not a single Spacehawk in the bio that I could see scanning quickly through. Plenty of comic material in there still and not all humor stuff. There is plenty of Space Patrol or Meteor Martin to make up for the fact that the bulk of the Spacehawk is in the other volume.

Volume 1 of the bio looks fantastic btw. Sounds like Sadowski knocked another one out of the ballpark.

The thing is the cover for Creeping Death ( which is the title of the first Spacehawk story) indicates it's material through 1941. GCD says Wolverton produced around 250 pages cover dated up through that year, most of it Spacehawk stories. While I imagine there is a fair amount of bio material and early non-comics work reproduced, it seems like it would be tough to get to 300 plus pages without the Spacehawk material, unless the book is more text than comics.

There is a good amount of text/background bio material personal letters and early photos of Wolverton in CDFN if thats what your wondering - plenty of comics also.

Up to page 50 in the bio and there is a ton of material included about early strip attempts (which are reproduced in the first art section), rejections of such, and a pretty tight timeline of his life. An engrossing book so far and some superb illos for his rejected prose pulp submissions.