• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2014

57 posts in this topic

How does J Scott Campbell's sketch raffle work now? Do you have to buy something from his booth to get a raffle ticket and does he just select the winners in the morning or throughout the day?

We got in azz early in hopes of getting a J Scott Campbell on my jam piece. Unfortunately he was doing a raffle and I missed it by one number. Congrats though to my boy JTWPantera for winning one!

Here is a sneak peek of the jam

ehdnww.jpg

Overall I had a great time. I bought some original art from Dave Bullock ($40 pencilled Spider-man proposal), got a piece commissioned by Marc Laming ($60 - bust of PHANTOM, Derek Fridolfs ($40 full body of BATMAN), Brian Level ($25 headsketch of BATMAN) & Dan Panosian ($40 headsketches! Mine was of...wait for it....BATMAN).

Picked up the WAR OF LIGHT HEROCLIX exclusive along with the NIGHTWING BLUE variant.

Got some beautiful mint McFarlane Spider-man books for 75% off, $7 each for the last three WALKING DEAD trades, HELLBOY: SEED OF DESTRUCTION #1 for $20, LEAVING MEGALOPOLIS signed by Jim Calafiore for $20 and ROCKET GIRL trade stamped & signed by the creative team.

CGC was excellent. Not only did they have a manned booth upstairs but in Artist Alley as well and that made life w whole lot easier as it wasn't last year (Just Mike with tons of witnesses and waiting customers at a snails pace). This booth was on fire and doing amazing work. I got a total of 12 books SS & CGCed:

1. UNTOLD LEGEND OF BATMAN #1 - Len Wein & Jose Luis Garcia Lopez

2. LEGEND OF THE DARK KNIGHT #16 (1st App of Venom drug) - Denny O'Neil & Jose Luis Garcia Lopez

3. JONAH HEX #1 (1st series) - Jose Luis Garcia Lopez

4. NEW MUTANTS #98 (1st App of Deadpool) - Fabian Nicieza & Rob Liefeld

5. X-FORCE #2 (2nd App of Deadpool) - Fabian Nicieza & Rob Liefeld

6. DEADPOOL #1 (Deadpool's 1st mini-series) - Fabian Nicieza & Rob Liefeld

7. CABLE & DEADPOOL #1 - Fabian Nicieza & Rob Liefeld

8. (2) BATMAN/SUPERMAN #1 "WE CAN BE HEROES" Variants - Jim Lee, Alex Sinclair and Greg Pak

9. (2) SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #1 "WE CAN BE HEROES" Variants - Jim Lee, Scott Snyder, Dustin Nguyen & Alex Sinclair

10. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #700 Skyline Variant - Alex Saviuk, Steve McNiven, Gerry Conway, Denny O'Neil, Edgar Delgado, Victor Olazaba & Len Wein (All sigs are on the white spacing and NOT on the building silhouette with creator names. I currently have Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, Danny Fingeroth, Tyler Kirkham, Humberto Ramos and Mike Zeck.I plan on getting more sigs next year before I lock this down completely)

I went above budget due to many creators requesting cash for CGC sigs. I don't mind paying so long as the pricing is consistent:

- Len Wein: $5 for autograph / $20 any book to CGC

- Gerry Conway: $5 for a sig (CGC or not)

- Denny O'Neill & Jose Luis Garcia Lopez: Whatever you wanted to pay since it was going to the charity Hero Initiative (I ended up paying $20 each creator for 2 and 3 sigs, respectively.)

- Rob Liefeld: The word "person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed" is an insult to douches everywhere. First he didn't come to the con on Saturday until 3pm. Then he proceeds to talk to someone despite the fact that he knows the line is incredibly long. Before I got to him, his handler asked me what I had to get signed and proceeds to show me a laminated page detailing signature rates. Apparently, depending on the type of book you give him the price changes -- Keys (New Mutants 97 & 98) $30, Deadpool books $10, X-Force $20 and any merch was $20. I ended up paying $70 for 4 books. I was livid as it cut into my CGC funds and so I ended up going over my budget.

Overall, loved the con and the cosplay. Here's to another great con in 2015!

NYCC was an amazing 'con for me. 2014 was the year I decided to make comics more than just a hobby, and I can't believe how many doors have been opened. I also had a chance to visit DC headquarters twice and met some awesome people.

First off, back in January, I went to my very first convention, Wizard World Portland, where my first witness was Mike. I haven't seen him at all until NYCC, and he was my witness upstairs. He recognized me, and I said, "It's come full circle."

Big thanks to Mike (SoylentBlue) and his team (Mr. Mylar Mike, Dane, Neal, Ally, and the rest I didn't get the names of) for staying posi and patiently going through the rounds. I went way above budget thanks to you guys because of all those sigs, and I'm excited to see my books when they come back in those gold-labeled slabs.

Another thanks goes to DScott who handled a good number of books for me in SDCC and helped me with some others. It's great to know I can skip some of the heavy lines and get stuff done with quality-care so I can focus on meeting the other creators on my list.

Will post one sketch for the Best of NYCC that Sara Pichelli did.