• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sports card collectors: PSA or BGS?

20 posts in this topic

So, grades being equal, which slab typically sells for more of a premium? I tend to like the BGS slab and 4-point grade factor better, but PSA seems to be the CGC of sports cards. Thoughts?

I'm thinking of getting a "key" Rookie card that I've never been able to afford and wanted to get some opinions here. The card is from the 80's.

I love sports cards and collected them for years. But I wouldn't consider them as safe an investment as comics. It was mostly for the love of the sport. Which is the rookie card from the 80s you're thinking of buying?

There are not many rookie cards in the 80's or "keys" as you say that really are worth a premium. Not compared to comics. I mean people are dropping damn near close to 1000 dollars for a NM 98 and you could get a high grade certified legend rookie card for that. Obviously the sports card market has crashed, but the great players that we will all remember are sitting there for easy pickings.

Personally the sports memorabilia market has suffered so many fatal blows i'd stick to comics.

There are not many rookie cards in the 80's or "keys" as you say that really are worth a premium. Not compared to comics. I mean people are dropping damn near close to 1000 dollars for a NM 98 and you could get a high grade certified legend rookie card for that. Obviously the sports card market has crashed, but the great players that we will all remember are sitting there for easy pickings.

The real money is in vintage and post 2000 modern cards.

Vintage sports cards are the bluechips,but then you got Mike Trout, Tom Brady and LeBron James rookie cards that sell for more then NM #98 and Walking Dead#1 9.8s. :o

Like any other hobby you got to know which keys to pick.

Also most 1980s to 1990s sports cards are to be avoided, as that`s were the overproduced junk happened. Think of early 1990s comics that are considered dreck when dealing with 1980s and 1990s cards.

:preach:

I am happy owning PSA and SGC. I have confidence in both graders cards in my collection as well as the resale market. SGC has moved up significantly over the years. [/quote

I 100 percent agree with this. SGC has become significantly better over the years. I prefer them over all other 3rd party card graders. (thumbs u

I would suggest PSA just because of their registry. Although most 80s cards are likely common in any PSA grade. PSA used to require a membership that included a few "free" card grades with it. I'm not sure about Beckett, and I don't think SGC does.

I like SGC's holder the most for the appearance it has.

There a are a handful of 80s cards that would be worth grading if it's high grade. The Jordan, Ripken, Boggs, Gwynn, Montana, Rice, Lemieux, Roy, Yzerman and other rookies would be worth grading in high grade. Even the early Ryan cards will do well.

If you're looking to sell it, it would help if we knew which card

Vintage sports cards are the bluechips,but then you got Mike Trout, Tom Brady and LeBron James rookie cards that sell for more then NM #98 and Walking Dead#1 9.8s. :o

Also most 1980s to 1990s sports cards are to be avoided, as that`s were the overproduced junk happened. Think of early 1990s comics that are considered dreck when dealing with 1980s and 1990s cards.

Jordan and Bird rookies are worthless now ?

Remember Gretzkys were a $1000

PSA slab typically sells more of a premium especially for 80's cards. They have big follower on registry which stand out than other 3rd party grader. But BGS strength is they have the highest grade called Pristine 10. Jordan rc PSA 10 crossover to BGS 10 will make huge profit if one decide to sell it. PSA slab does have more fake slab on eBay so buyer beware. BGS slab are much better protected & hard to make fake at present moment but one can never say never.

I said most cards from the 1980s. :baiting:

Believe I know all about Larry Bird`s value, as I grew up in the 1980s in the Boston area watching him play. (thumbs u

Thanks for th feedback fellas. I've been selling off a lot of sports cards lately and I'm looking to parley the proceeds in to a Jordan RC. I plan on keeping a handful of sports cards in my keeper collection, this would be one of them along with Bird/Magic RC, Nolan Ryan RC, etc...only my all time favorites...

I said most cards from the 1980s. :baiting:

Believe I know all about Larry Bird`s value, as I grew up in the 1980s in the Boston area watching him play. (thumbs u

Larry Bird rookie 1980-81 (shrug)