• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Welcome to the Global Shipping Program: More eBay Drank My Milkshake

82 posts in this topic

It should not cost anyone over $10 to ship one comic.

It doesnt, for First Class. As a seller I get no tracking and therefore ZERO protection when shipping that way. The buyer could say they never received the comic and file a claim through eBay/Paypal. Since I have no tracking, they get a free comic.

I get these kinds of messages all the time -

Total due is $25 + $28 Priority Shipping (Canada)

Please PayPal $53...

Do you other internationals pay these kinds of fees?

If you're getting packages from the USA, that's higher than needed. My shipping costs to Canada are $22 for up to 5 comics via International Priority.

Peace,

Chip

Through the USPS website: A one pound Priority Mail package (not envelope) to Canada that is one pound is $27.13 (online discounted rate).

That's nuts. What's the cost for the envelope + cardboard option?

Just curious, would you prefer a seller use the GPS or not ship outside the U.S.?

Same difference.

Either way you don't get my money. (shrug)

Yup, I get it. But, without GPS you wouldn't be able to buy my books (shrug)

That hurts you, not me. There are a ton of sellers out there that ship to Canada without using the GSP. I prefer NOT to be azz-raped by that program.

I understand it. Buyers outside the U.S. pay more for books from U.S. sellers. I wouldn't like the azz-raping either.

But as was mentioned by someone else in the thread, since using the program as a U.S. seller I've gotten more bidders and higher sales prices. GPS doesn't make sense to you, but it does make sense to me.

Sounds like your experience shows there's more than enough room in eBay for all types of U.S. sellers. (thumbs u

Actually, GPS just gives you a taste of what you've been missing by not shipping globally. The gains you experience by using GPS are just a percentage of the gains to be had by shipping globally. (thumbs u

+1!

Imagine the higher prices if you catered to everyone. Do sellers know that if you don't offer international shipping, I can't even see your auction? And if I see the "import" fees next to the auction I don't even click on it. Canadians ship to the states without the help (lol) of the GPS rip off scheme, why can't Americans do the same?

What Branget and Chadwich say really is it in a nutshell for people who live outside the US. The GSP is garbage for those on the receiving end but it does make it easier for those who previously didn't want to ship outside the US.

And I'm betting that even if many are willing to pay more for US comics, they don't realize they're being taken advantage of until it's all said and done and will learn to stay away from it later.

eBay is almost like legalized theft now. Well, not really because they continue to get to agree to their terms as they change but that's pretty much like getting a junky to continue to buy from you once you've already gotten them hooked.

lol so true

It should not cost anyone over $10 to ship one comic.

It doesnt, for First Class. As a seller I get no tracking and therefore ZERO protection when shipping that way. The buyer could say they never received the comic and file a claim through eBay/Paypal. Since I have no tracking, they get a free comic.

I get these kinds of messages all the time -

Total due is $25 + $28 Priority Shipping (Canada)

Please PayPal $53...

Do you other internationals pay these kinds of fees?

If you're getting packages from the USA, that's higher than needed. My shipping costs to Canada are $22 for up to 5 comics via International Priority.

Peace,

Chip

Through the USPS website: A one pound Priority Mail package (not envelope) to Canada that is one pound is $27.13 (online discounted rate).

That's nuts. What's the cost for the envelope + cardboard option?

A Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope to Canada is $20 but then you are opening up another can of worms since no matter how awesome you think your pack job is you can still get damage in envelopes, especially international.

I disagree. If you use the philosophy of it can be bent then it will be bent or assume most people are lazy then you're fine. A well packed envelope is just as effective as a well packed box.

4 pieces of cardboard and securing the comic inside then you're good to go. :)

I actually use a neat, custom made envelope of heavy brown cardboard (not corrugated) and then have custom cut, corrugated cardboard slabs the size of a mylar for protection and have never had a problem.

EDIT: I also made sure that the corrugated ribbing in the custom cut cardboard slabs went in the direction of the spine when I had them cut, for added strength in that direction.

I probably shipped out 100 envelopes last winter with my raw sale and I don't remember a single complaint.

Of course, nothing is going to protect getting run over by a truck or tow motor vehicle.

Just read this on the eBay forums:

The Global Shipping Program is like herpes. You can't eliminate it once you've got it. All you can do is manage it, which in this case means unchecking it as an option when setting up your listings or in your site preferences.

+1

Awesome analogy and ACCURATE.

That's why I've never opted for this miserable GSP! Too many horror stories, and it's just another money grab by eBay.

SOURCE

ON OPTING OUT:

It's the top line under shipping preferences but for me at least, it doesn't have an edit button;just Offer the Global Shipping Program Yes

My new listings all default to not offering GSP unless I specifically check the GSP box.

From what I've read, there is no UNIVERSAL OPT OUT. You just have to manually manage it by not offering it on new listings and BULK EDITING current listings. At least, that's how I read it.

I disagree. If you use the philosophy of it can be bent then it will be bent or assume most people are lazy then you're fine. A well packed envelope is just as effective as a well packed box.

4 pieces of cardboard and securing the comic inside then you're good to go. :)

But then again you don't you don't ship through the Los Angeles Sorting Facility.

40 lb. box in a container heading to from facility meets a well packed envelope at the right angle - Box wins every time. lol

I actually use a neat, custom made envelope of heavy brown cardboard (not corrugated) and then have custom cut, corrugated cardboard slabs the size of a mylar for protection and have never had a problem.

EDIT: I also made sure that the corrugated ribbing in the custom cut cardboard slabs went in the direction of the spine when I had them cut, for added strength in that direction.

I probably shipped out 100 envelopes last winter with my raw sale and I don't remember a single complaint.

Of course, nothing is going to protect getting run over by a truck or tow motor vehicle.

I had one Domestic slab get cracked early this year. Buyer sent me a pic of the box - tire tread on it. lol

Just curious, would you prefer a seller use the GPS or not ship outside the U.S.?

Same difference.

That hurts you, not me. There are a ton of sellers out there that ship to Canada without using the GSP. I prefer NOT to be azz-raped by that program.

I understand it. Buyers outside the U.S. pay more for books from U.S. sellers. I wouldn't like the azz-raping either.

But as was mentioned by someone else in the thread, since using the program as a U.S. seller I've gotten more bidders and higher sales prices. GPS doesn't make sense to you, but it does make sense to me.

Sounds like your experience shows there's more than enough room in eBay for all types of U.S. sellers. (thumbs u

Actually, GPS just gives you a taste of what you've been missing by not shipping globally. The gains you experience by using GPS are just a percentage of the gains to be had by shipping globally. (thumbs u

+1!

Imagine the higher prices if you catered to everyone. Do sellers know that if you don't offer international shipping, I can't even see your auction? And if I see the "import" fees next to the auction I don't even click on it. Canadians ship to the states without the help (lol) of the GPS rip off scheme, why can't Americans do the same?

When I sold a couple book to UK and a couple to Canada several years ago it was too complicated (different rules for different countries), cumbersome and, yes, uncertain given no tracking and the book was 'long gone' outside the border.

Those concerns outweigh any bump in sale price, to me personally. I was happy with final sales prices when I didn't ship internationally, now I am happy + XX% with GSP.

Now, with my business (not comics) I am considering plunging into China's direct-to-consumer online sales world. Guessing that will trump shipping comics internationally without GSP lol

eBay is using that with everything that they want to enforce. Anything they can't legally enforce, they make it very difficult for you to oppose.

You can accept forms of payment other than Paypal, you just aren't allowed to ask for them.

You can't opt out of GSP automatically but you can manually. It's tedious.

eBay used to be a third party site like craigslist and Kijiji. Now they are a financial institution to themselves and need to feed the beast.

I had one Domestic slab get cracked early this year. Buyer sent me a pic of the box - tire tread on it. lol

:cry:

Was it an American or a Canadian tire tread? :baiting:

Same difference.

+1!

When I sold a couple book to UK and a couple to Canada several years ago it was too complicated (different rules for different countries), cumbersome and, yes, uncertain given no tracking and the book was 'long gone' outside the border.

Those concerns outweigh any bump in sale price, to me personally. I was happy with final sales prices when I didn't ship internationally, now I am happy + XX% with GSP.

Now, with my business (not comics) I am considering plunging into China's direct-to-consumer online sales world. Guessing that will trump shipping comics internationally without GSP lol

It is actually very easy once you ship a couple items. I think if you had to do it in order to sell anything then you'd figure it out real fast.

+1!

There must be some Canadians changing IP addresses in their browser because I get eBay messages "would you consider shipping to Canada?' (:

I switched out of the program a while ago but it seems the number of international packages did not increase. I generally send 1 out of 8 boxes international either way,

Canadians,

what is the expected price you would pay to get a single raw book shipped to your from the states? What about a slabbed book?

Actual shipping cost with no extra "import" fees.

According to USPS website a raw book shipped in a padded envelope via international priority flat rate is around $20. A medium flat rate box is around $40.

(shrug)

I can see how PayPal increasing their return policy from 45 to 160 days can negatively impact a seller, but I don't really see it with the Global Shipping Program. I've seen arguments on both sides of the isle about it, have tried selling with and without it, but from personal experience, it increased my sales and I've had no complaints. At the end of the day, either people are willing to pay for what you're selling or they aren't.

Well, to Canada, they charge the buyer about 2-3x more for shipping than sellers that mail books themselves. If I see an auction that only offers GSP, I don't even consider buying it. 2c

Yep. Avoid at all costs. (thumbs u