• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legion of Superheroes collecting thread
3 3

620 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Silver said:

I completed my Adventure Comics 300-380 Run a long time ago, but occasionally upgrade issues when I see them. It’s getting harder because the earlier issues in nice shape don’t show up often and when they do they can fetch a high price. I have long though 311 and 312 were two of the toughest to get in high grade. They both have black covers and are really excellent books both;story and cover wise. 

I finally found a sweet 312 raw that I couldn’t pass up, here it is, resurrection of Lightning Lad:

1D90D34A-A992-4B85-A5B6-1F4711D11056.jpeg

Congrats, that is a really sweet copy of a really tough book.  The only copy I've been able to find that I was really happy with was the Toth copy.

image.thumb.png.da3a71ccdf8e2cca4a8def8f75917ac4.png

9 hours ago, TheWatcher said:
On 7/29/2018 at 9:02 PM, tth2 said:

I can post scans if there's any interest in seeing them.

I'd love to see them, too (thumbsu

I'm too hypnotized by your avatar to post!

I'll start things off with Adventure 301.  It's always struck me as odd that after the big splash announcing the Legion with #300, the title immediately proceeded to use a non-Legion cover.  And a number of the early issues in the run continued to have non-Legion covers.

adventure 301.jpg

Edited by tth2

Thought I would start with an absolute favorite. Just about everyone who loves the Legion loves issue 369. From its ominous opening splash page the book weaves a tale about Mordru, an old Legion villain of untold power who we never actually met before. The sense of dread and foreboding builds wonderfully. This book always reminded me of Spectacular Spider-Man #2 with building fear similar to what Peter Parker felt waiting for the Goblin to strike.

This story also puts some perspective on Smallville with the legionnaires in hiding back in the 1920s. Even has a few lighter moments. The final glorious finishing splash page does not disappoint.

Adventure 369 also has a nice advert for Superman's 30th anniversary.

Shown here is the Rocky Mountain copy.

Adventure369.jpg

adventure-369-02-01.jpg

adventure-369-30-24.jpg

adventure-369-13-09a-ad.jpg

The Legion of Superheroes grew in the telling. From early appearances in Adventure Comics to wider appearances across other Superman Family titles and so relentlessly on to dominating Adventure Comics. After a time they were confidently promoted by DC. Although their first and second appearances were featured on the covers of Adventure Comics 247 and 267 their third appearance, late in June 1960 in Action Comics, was totally unheralded. This story links Supergirl with the Legion for the first time without a cover promotion.

Some books that are not Legion can look so. Take Adventure Comics 242, just five issues before the first real appearance that has a Legion style to it.

I remember in my early days of comic shows looking for a nice copy of Action 267. It was always a tough find.

Adv.242.jpg

ActionComics267.jpg