• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leather-bound signed Gerber guides?

17 posts in this topic

Picked these up today. Sadly, no slipcase. However, given how the spine cracked when I gently leafed through a few pages, they haven't been read.

15379939789_eb09b4abbd_b.jpg

15380557357_d28f644afe_b.jpg

14945818674_ab8da3772c_b.jpg

15563895241_4c0f0f2539_b.jpg

I've never seen any iteration of these in person so I had no idea how massive they were! Just a stunning achievement to collect all those covers in two tomes.

Peace,

Chip

They usually go for around $200 for the set though they can be a bit of a tough sell. There was no slipcase as far as I remember. I've had a couple of sets and never had a slipcase. I know Gerber sent copies of the leather bounds to everyone who loaned him books to photograph.

Picked these up today. Sadly, no slipcase. However, given how the spine cracked when I gently leafed through a few pages, they haven't been read.

I've never seen any iteration of these in person so I had no idea how massive they were! Just a stunning achievement to collect all those covers in two tomes.

Peace,

Chip

they are wonderful books, and a fabulous read. Nice pick up, I like them.

They didn't have a slipcase, but should have a dust jacket.

Peace,

Chip

The leather bound editions were not released with dust jackets and usually are considered complete without them. Gerber sent out some extra dust jackets flat at a later date.

Peace,

Chip

The leather bound editions were not released with dust jackets and usually are considered complete without them. Gerber sent out some extra dust jackets flat at a later date.

I have 16/900. Ernie spent much time at my home. I still have some unwrapped copies. My deluxe do have a slipcase. He also sent me the press proofs for some of the interior pages....

The internet makes it less relevant, but Ernie was a visionary putting these tomes together. He allowed many of us to see books we had only heard about. Doing separate color separation for each book cost him a fortune... jb

Thanks for the information, everyone. I'm hoping that I can sell the rest of the stuff I purchased with these for enough profit to allow me to keep them. They really are incredible books. There are two others for Silver Age, correct? Were those released as leather-bound as well?

Peace,

Chip

Does anyone know what happened to Ernie? Did he die? If so, when? I can't find any info on him besides the Photo Journals...I love my sets, they are the reason for 90% of my golden age collection...I discovered a lot of obscure books in the journals (back before the Internet), like Baker Romance, L.B. Cole, Oddball comics, Schomburg, etc. :cloud9:

yes, he has passed away. Quite some time now

I bought a leather bound set from him back in the early 90s at a SDCC. I left them with him to sign. I returned hours later and he said he had signed them for me. Took them home, and found he hadn't. I wish he had. Ernie had lots of issues, as we all do, but he gave something very important to the hobby back then.

They usually go for around $200 for the set though they can be a bit of a tough sell. There was no slipcase as far as I remember. I've had a couple of sets and never had a slipcase. I know Gerber sent copies of the leather bounds to everyone who loaned him books to photograph.

I sent him 7 books to photo as I recall and didn't get an offer of leather bound volumes, just an offer to buy the books. I think I traded them for some Avons I needed. Does anybody recall Ernie trying to start a grading service with ridiculously low prices (35 cents a book as I recall). Did anybody try it?